Ask an Admissions Tutor: Find out about Architectural Engineering

Watch this thread
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello, my name is Dr Mehdi Shahrestani, Programme Director for Architectural Engineering. This week I will be answering your questions about studying Architectural Engineering! I will be checking back each day until Thursday, so if you have any questions please do add these onto this post and I will get back to you.

What is Architectural Engineering?

Architectural Engineering combines the creativity of architectural and building design with a strong overview of environmental engineering and energy systems.

The discipline draws on key aspects of architecture, building, construction and engineering; helping students build a formidable, well-rounded skillset upon graduation.

So what do Architectural Engineers do?

- They apply imagination, technology and research to the design of buildings aimed at improving our way of life.
- They operate in multidisciplinary teams, allowing fuller understanding and influence throughout projects.
- They use integrated approaches in the design, management and operation of efficient buildings in an urban context.

Programmes seek to guide you through key aspects of Architectural Engineering, including:

- design and management of building environmental systems
- structural and architectural design
- construction site engineering
- engineering mathematics and statistics
- numerical modelling and programming.

Do you have any questions about studying Architectural Engineering? Ask me this week!
Last edited by UniofReading; 5 months ago
UniofReading
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Hi it is Dr Mehdi Shahrestani, Programme Director for Architectural Engineering here again to share more with you about studying Architectural Engineering!
I will be checking back each day this week, so if you have any questions please do ask them on this post and I will get back to you.

Degree choice
Architectural Engineering can often be studied as a BEng (3 years) or MEng (4 years). Some programmes also offer a placement ranging from a week to year-long. year or term.

Typical entry requirements
Entry requirements will typically vary per institution and you can view these online via websites. A good A-level in Mathematics is often an entry requirement.

An Architectural Engineering student from University of Reading said:
In my spare time I love to paint, design and make things; to satisfy my creative side. I also love to learn about science, space and I am forever making lists and spreadsheets as a result of having a scientific/mathematical mind. Architectural Engineering is the perfect blend of these two traits bringing real world science together with creative design. This is how I knew the course was right for me.”

3 reasons to consider studying Architectural Engineering

Architectural Engineering is vital to our global future. The subject crosses disciplines, plays a key role in the design and building of a modern built environment, and is aimed at improving our way of life.

1. Sustainability
- Sustainability is a global challenge facing us all – both in how we work and how we live.
- Working in the built environment sector presents you with an enormous opportunity to have a positive impact on our planet.
- Sustainability themes can typically run throughout programmes - where you will gain the knowledge and skills to deliver sustainable engineering solutions in the built environment.
- Students can develop a thorough understanding of environmental engineering, renewable energy technologies, urban microclimates, and energy management.

2. Job demand
- The demand for trained engineers is only set to grow, with Engineering UK estimating a shortfall of at least 22,000 graduate engineers per year (EUK, 2018).
- Studying Architectural Engineering equips students with a wide range of skills needed to thrive in a sector that demands you work across disciplines, broadening career opportunities.
- Graduates are well placed to pursue roles such as energy engineers, building designers, facility managers/engineers, sustainability managers/engineers, project managers and construction managers.

3. Using engineering and technology to design our future built environment
- When was the last time a building or landmark truly caught your imagination? Architectural Engineers are helping to bring these to reality, via thorough research, planning and modern technology.
- Digital technologies are helping the industry to push boundaries and adapt infrastructure to the demands of an increased population.
- By learning in multidisciplinary teams, students are taught the best of current practice, ensuring they are equipped with knowledge of the latest methods and approaches.
- Students at the University of Reading are trained in a range of digital technologies and software, including building information modelling (BIM), building energy and urban microclimate simulations, and 3D laser scanning. An immersive virtual reality 'CAVE' also enables learners to interact with 3D digitised environments.

Have a look at the below video to see some of facilities on offer at the University of Reading:
UniofReading
Rep:
Hi it is Dr Mehdi Shahrestani, Programme Director for Architectural Engineering here again to share more with you about studying Architectural Engineering!

I will be checking back each weekday until 22 December, so if you have any questions please do ask them on this post and I will get back to you.

How to write a personal statement for Architectural Engineering

Thinking of applying for an Architectural Engineering course at University? Here’s some of my top tips on writing your personal statement.

1. Express a passion and interest in Architectural Engineering – detail why this subject appeals to you.
2. Explain how relevant topics you’ve covered in your studies will help you on the degree and show examples of any involvement outside of the classroom. This might include attending a taster day run by engineering employers, taking a workshop in programming, or watching a webinar by the Energy Institute.
3. Talk about any work experience or shadowing opportunities you might have had.
4. Detail any further reading or research on top of your studies, e.g. journals or industry magazines.
5. Think about the kinds of skills that you may need on the course and highlight these through academic or extra-curricular examples.

Types of transferable skills we are looking for
• Highly motivated
• Teamwork and leadership skills
• Organisation and time management skills
• Attention to detail
• Strong mathematical/numerical ability
• Analysis and problem solving
• Creativity

Remember to start your personal statement early as it may need several drafts to get it right. Show it to a teacher or family member to get a second opinion to ensure you are highlighting all the positive things about you and your interest in Architectural Engineering.

For more help on writing a personal statement sign up to our student resource hub or watch one of our live webinars on writing your personal statement.

Good luck with your application!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed