Which Uni should I got to? I'm so stuck!

Watch this thread
Oreee.x
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Heyy so I'm currently in a predicament where I don't know what uni to go to. I'm studying child nursing for 3 years in which I want to live 1 year in uni dorms to gain friends and then 2 years at home. I have so many things to consider and it feels like I'm being pulled every which way.
I have unfortunately already chosen my five unis but I'm not sure if I can still change them. If you could help me either get a different suggestion or maybe which is the better option for me.
My requirements are:
-Good teaching style
-Inclusive for POC
-Good accommodation
- Good Nightlife
I chose Kingston, Canterbury, King's College, Greenwich and Southampton.

I live in London and don't mind travelling 2 hours max to uni but Southhampton I'd have to live in accommodation for 3 years (a lot of money and anxiety) but I feel like I'd like the vibe there. I missed a lot of open days which I regret but yeah I just need a few opinions to guide me. Thanks!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Oreee.x)
Heyy so I'm currently in a predicament where I don't know what uni to go to. I'm studying child nursing for 3 years in which I want to live 1 year in uni dorms to gain friends and then 2 years at home. I have so many things to consider and it feels like I'm being pulled every which way.
I have unfortunately already chosen my five unis but I'm not sure if I can still change them. If you could help me either get a different suggestion or maybe which is the better option for me.
My requirements are:
-Good teaching style
-Inclusive for POC
-Good accommodation
- Good Nightlife

I live in London and don't mind travelling 2 hours max to uni but Southhampton I'd have to live in accommodation for 3 years (a lot of money and anxiety) but I feel like I'd like the vibe there. I missed a lot of open days which I regret but yeah I just need a few opinions to guide me. Thanks!
To be honest the cost of living in Southampton is probably less than the cost of commuting from London to Kent, unless you are maintaining a residence in London at the same time. Southampton is a pretty cheap city to live in, or was when I lived there. Something to consider though is you might have placements across Hampshire while at Southampton - I know their medical degree does, so you should check where the nursing placements are because I suspect they might also be across the region, which might require some additional travel (although I think the uni provides accommodation for those placements if they are further out).

I wouldn't recommend commuting to Southampton from London; I occasionally have to do the opposite direction and while the actual Waterloo-Southampton Airport Parkway (better stop for the uni than Southampton Central, and also for me since I don't live in the city centre) trip is itself only about an hour and a half or so, you need to account for getting to and from the stations either end as well; getting to Waterloo via tube may take some time on the London end, and on the Southampton end you'd need to get the bus from the station to the uni (or you could walk/cycle but that would take even longer).

As I recall it's about 15 minutes or so by bus to the campus from the Airport Parkway station (in principle it's about the same from Southampton central but in practice takes twice as long because traffic in the city centre tends to be a lot worse and there are more stops between the city centre and campus than the airport and campus).

It's definitely possible of course (I know someone who did commute from London during my foundation year at Southampton way back when, by coach even!) but it's definitely a bit of a pain and long term might be a lot of unnecessary stress compared to just living on campus (also if you are commuting by train it's likely to be expensive).
Last edited by artful_lounger; 5 months ago
Oreee.x
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
To be honest the cost of living in Southampton is probably less than the cost of commuting from London to Kent, unless you are maintaining a residence in London at the same time. Southampton is a pretty cheap city to live in, or was when I lived there. Something to consider though is you might have placements across Hampshire while at Southampton - I know their medical degree does, so you should check where the nursing placements are because I suspect they might also be across the region, which might require some additional travel (although I think the uni provides accommodation for those placements if they are further out).

I wouldn't recommend commuting to Southampton from London; I occasionally have to do the opposite direction and while the actual Waterloo-Southampton Airport Parkway (better stop for the uni than Southampton Central, and also for me since I don't live in the city centre) trip is itself only about an hour and a half or so, you need to account for getting to and from the stations either end as well; getting to Waterloo via tube may take some time on the London end, and on the Southampton end you'd need to get the bus from the station to the uni (or you could walk/cycle but that would take even longer).

As I recall it's about 15 minutes or so by bus to the campus from the Airport Parkway station (in principle it's about the same from Southampton central but in practice takes twice as long because traffic in the city centre tends to be a lot worse and there are more stops between the city centre and campus than the airport and campus).

It's definitely possible of course (I know someone who did commute from London during my foundation year at Southampton way back when, by coach even!) but it's definitely a bit of a pain and long term might be a lot of unnecessary stress compared to just living on campus (also if you are commuting by train it's likely to be expensive).
Ah the information is greatly appreciated! Southampton wasn't a definite uni I wanted to go to and the commute sounds a bit stressful now that you've mapped it out. The placement was also something I heard about that can get complicated. I wanted to do my placement in St.Thomas so I don't think it would be likely if I go to Southhampton. However, they offered me an interview to which I'll still attend.
Thanks again for replying!
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Ah the information is greatly appreciated! Southampton wasn't a definite uni I wanted to go to and the commute sounds a bit stressful now that you've mapped it out. The placement was also something I heard about that can get complicated. I wanted to do my placement in St.Thomas so I don't think it would be likely if I go to Southhampton. However, they offered me an interview to which I'll still attend.
Thanks again for replying!
You won't do placements in London if you study outside of London, as far as I'm aware - it'll be in the region your uni is in. So for Southampton this may be across Hampshire, CCC would have placements in Kent, etc. Also for unis in London there is no guarantee you will have placements in any one particular hospital I imagine, except the teaching hospital connected with the course if applicable.

As noted though Southampton is a lot cheaper than London. It's cheaper than a lot of places actually, so unsurprisingly also cheaper than London!
dah22
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Honestly if I could recommend any of the 5 to go to I would say go to kings because its a good reputable uni and you already live in London so living out in 2nd year or moving back in at home after first year would be perfect!
SomMC1
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by dah22)
Honestly if I could recommend any of the 5 to go to I would say go to kings because its a good reputable uni and you already live in London so living out in 2nd year or moving back in at home after first year would be perfect!
Agree. Living home for the entire programme is great, saved loads of cash.
Oreee.x
Rep:
(Original post by dah22)
ah okay, ill consider this. However, I was worried about the cost of accommodation or if there would even be a point in moving out since most people my age that will go to kings are staying at home too. They aren't really known for their accommodation and student life. But yeah it would be cheaper and more accasable
dah22
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
ah okay, ill consider this. However, I was worried about the cost of accommodation or if there would even be a point in moving out since most people my age that will go to kings are staying at home too. They aren't really known for their accommodation and student life. But yeah it would be cheaper and more accasable
I'm not too familiar with kings sorry but people do generally regret not staying in student accom even for the first year although I think its alot more common to live at home in London just because of how expensive it is. Financialy I guess it alot better to stay at home but I'd still say for the name its probably worth it.
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I've merged your two threads together now so all the responses are in one place
sal.gg
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
My requirements are:
-Good teaching style
-Inclusive for POC
-Good accommodation
- Good Nightlife

I studied at Kingston for 3 years before and am planning on doing adult nursing there as well this year. I stayed at halls there for first year then commuted from home for the rest and from my experience it’s a great uni location wise. The nightlife there is good and they have a free uni bus that runs until late at night. It’s also only half an hour train ride from central London.
I stayed at the clayhill accommodation which wasn’t amazing but for the price it was decent. However, I’ve seen on the uni website that they’ve refurbished a lot of the other accommodations last year including the Kingston hill ones which is the campus for nursing students. The accommodation looks very nice and modern now compared to how it used to look so I’d say that kingston is a pretty great choice if you’re looking for nice accommodation for decent prices in London.
In my opinion going to a London uni is a better option financially since you get more maintenance loan, public transport is cheaper, and some unis have decent accommodation for cheaper than unis outside of London.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
My requirements are:
-Good teaching style
-Inclusive for POC
-Good accommodation
- Good Nightlife

Hi Oreee.x,
I am a current Student Children's Nurse at Uni of Southampton and I have been here for 3 years!

Have you had your interview yet? And is it in person? As if you haven't had a chance to go to an open day this is another opportunity for you to have a look around!
I honestly highly recommend moving away for Uni, almost all my friends did and they've all loved it and by committing to moving away you're able to make solid friendships. From a few of my friends experience I know commuting can be hard especially if you're travelling in just for 1 lecture which could be shorter than your whole travel time! It can also be harder to make friends as most students will be going out in the evenings and being part of societies that are all obviously in the area of the Uni, so when commuting you may be limiting yourself on how many activities you could be part of which is just something to be aware of.
Also, regarding accommodation costs, this is why we get a maintenance loan from the government I know a lot of the time they don't always cover what they need to, but don't forget as a student nurse we get a £5000 training grant on top of this and I know for me this really helped to cover the costs!

I am also originally from Canterbury so I can give you more information about both Canterbury and Southampton Uni and area if you're interested!

Carina - University of Southampton Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (132)
66.33%
No (45)
22.61%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed