Mathematical Proof

Watch this thread
beachpanda
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Is anyone able to help me prove the following is true? Where x & y are positive non-zero values

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-06 um 13.07.04.png
Views: 13
Size:  16.1 KB

I tried writing a fraction with x+y on the top and proving that it's greater than 1, but to no success. Even tried rationalising the denominator but also no luck:

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-06 um 13.06.01.png
Views: 4
Size:  5.9 KB
Thankyou
Last edited by beachpanda; 5 months ago
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by beachpanda)
Is anyone able to help me prove the following is true? Where x & y are positive non-zero values

I tried writing a fraction with x+y on the top and proving that it's greater than 1, but to no success. Even tried rationalising the denominator but also no luck:

Thankyou
You might like to try looking for a counter-example.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago

Thankyou
if you let x and y both equal 1 see what happens
beachpanda
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by the bear)
if you let x and y both equal 1 see what happens
I get 4<2 which isn't correct? But I've been told that x+y is greater than the other expression? (It formed part of a much longer question)

(Original post by ghostwalker)
You might like to try looking for a counter-example.
Do you know what sort of counter example? I could switch the inequality sign, or flip the fraction but I come into the same issues.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
I get 4<2 which isn't correct? But I've been told that x+y is greater than the other expression? (It formed part of a much longer question)

Do you know what sort of counter example? I could switch the inequality sign, or flip the fraction but I come into the same issues.
the reason you cannot prove the statement is true is that it is false. unless there is some extra information about the value of x and y etc.
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 5 months ago

Hopefully you've resolved this issue now.

As to a counter example, it's just a case of plugging some values in which make the assertion false, which is what you have done with the bear's suggestion. That's the counter-example disproving the assertion.
Last edited by ghostwalker; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.85%
Not yet, but I will soon (68)
18.48%
No (146)
39.67%

Watched Threads