CatInTheCorner
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm in year 13, and I'm having a bit of a crisis in that I'm really hating chemistry with everything in me. I'm predicted a B, and I think I can get it, but I'm really struggling to bring myself to work. I have a predicted A* and A otherwise, it's not laziness, I just really, really don't like it. I do AQA. Any ideas on how to make it less torturous?
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
What makes you hate it?
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
What makes you hate it?
I don't have any interest in the content, the math is dry, and the content is heavy and dull. I can't memorise things I don't have any interest in
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatInTheCorner)
I don't have any interest in the content, the math is dry, and the content is heavy and dull. I can't memorise things I don't have any interest in
So you hate everything? haha... what makes it hard for you other than the fact that you hate it?
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm in year 13, and I'm having a bit of a crisis in that I'm really hating chemistry with everything in me. I'm predicted a B, and I think I can get it, but I'm really struggling to bring myself to work. I have a predicted A* and A otherwise, it's not laziness, I just really, really don't like it. I do AQA. Any ideas on how to make it less torturous?
I do understand the feeling. I personally revised for chemistry by making my notes colorful and appealing. Which topics are particularly boring you?
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
So you hate everything? haha... what makes it hard for you other than the fact that you hate it?
Hating it is enough, any advice?
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
I do understand the feeling. I personally revised for chemistry by making my notes colorful and appealing. Which topics are particularly boring you?
I can revise things and then forget them. Nothing stands out, but I forget it so quickly, I just have 0 interest. The math is the best part
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I can revise things and then forget them. Nothing stands out, but I forget it so quickly, I just have 0 interest. The math is the best part
Do you understand the content taught and if so have you simplified your notes?
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you watch youtube videos? try blurting, that's how I memorise stuff for chem but apply active recall though.
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Past papers were the way I Brough my grade up from a D to an A*. For me, they're the gold standard
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chris01928)
Past papers were the way I Brough my grade up from a D to an A*. For me, they're the gold standard
Yeah! I forgot about that lol
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
(Original post by chris01928)
Tell me all of your secrets! I do them and get on average 48%, and I need 55% for my B, so not too bad but I need better, I suppose I hate the content to the point where bringing myself to do a paper is hard, but I'll give myself a hard hit to the arse and get on with it!
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
My teachers apply a very note light approach, meaning I don't get any, which makes it a nightmare. We've finished the course on both sides, and have had done so for a month, because we move at the speed of light, it's a nightmare! Ergo making notes is time consuming because I literally have none
_Rusty_
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Tell me all of your secrets! I do them and get on average 48%, and I need 55% for my B, so not too bad but I need better, I suppose I hate the content to the point where bringing myself to do a paper is hard, but I'll give myself a hard hit to the arse and get on with it!
I don't know how else I can say it - learn the MS. The test content (especially paper 2) repeats the questions with slightly different chemicals. If you diligently go through the MS you'll improve. Give it time though, it won't be instant
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My teachers apply a very note light approach, meaning I don't get any, which makes it a nightmare. We've finished the course on both sides, and have had done so for a month, because we move at the speed of light, it's a nightmare! Ergo making notes is time consuming because I literally have none
Use savemyexams! it's pretty good. Or you can use PMT but I prefer savemyexams
summerbirdreads
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I revise all my topics by spacing out the revision and I do past papers along with it. So when I do past papers and get questions wrong, I mark out those topics in the spec and then I go and revise that topic and do another past paper etc..
Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You’ve already finished the content? 😱 wow they must go Suoer fast! Have you done the practicals + did you find them fun?
I would say get the specification. I do edexcel so it might be slightly different but ticking off points one by one as I’ve learnt/understood them rlly helps.
The best resource I can recommend (other then PPQ/past papers) is chemrevise for revision, their free recision notes are amazing and I’m pretty sure they have AQA.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads