The Student Room Group

Seborrheic dermatitis- dandruff but worse

It’s affecting my face and scalp and I’ve been itching my head so much that it’s starting to bleed. I’ve gotten a shampoo for it but I think it’s too weak. What do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
It’s affecting my face and scalp and I’ve been itching my head so much that it’s starting to bleed. I’ve gotten a shampoo for it but I think it’s too weak. What do I do?

Could be number of factors causing it to get worse as it's probably best to see your GP again about it as they can prescribed better medication etc for you to try.
Another option is try your local pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist as they can recommend things as well if you don't want to go to GP. Boots generally sells a good range of products for this, as maybe cheaper over the counter than paying for it on prescription if you live in England.

====================== ===============================
Why is my seborrheic dermatitis getting worse.....
It is often made worse by cold weather, hormonal changes, and stress. Symptoms can include skin that is bumpy, scaly, greasy, and itchy. Treatment such as medicine in shampoo, body wash, and lotion can reduce symptoms

How to treat dandruff yourself
Use an anti-dandruff shampoo. There are several different types you can buy from pharmacies or supermarkets.
Look for shampoo containing one of these ingredients:

zinc pyrithione
salicylic acid
selenium sulphide (or selenium sulfide)
ketoconazole
coal tar
Your pharmacist can tell you how to use the shampoo.

Use the shampoo for a month to see if your dandruff improves. You might need to try more than one type to find one that works for you.
What shampoo are you using? Nizoral is the only one that works for me.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea

My mum actually has it too and used nizoral and it was fine for her too.
I use ketoconzole and it actually worked for me but my gp said that once my skin gets better, it’s okay to use the shampoo once a week as I was using it every 2 days before that. I think because I’ve been using it once a week it’s gotten worse as it’s even spread to my upper lip.

That's a good one to use but it's a trial and error to get best one that works.
My mum actually has it too and used nizoral and it was fine for her too.
I use ketoconzole and it actually worked for me but my gp said that once my skin gets better, it’s okay to use the shampoo once a week as I was using it every 2 days before that. I think because I’ve been using it once a week it’s gotten worse as it’s even spread to my upper lip.

Ketoconazole is the active ingredient in Nizoral. You could try going back to using it more often but if that doesn't help, it may be best to speak to your GP in case this is not seborrhoeic dermatitis but another condition like eczema that might need different treatment.
Reply 6
Ketoconazole is the active ingredient in Nizoral. You could try going back to using it more often but if that doesn't help, it may be best to speak to your GP in case this is not seborrhoeic dermatitis but another condition like eczema that might need different treatment.

Yeah I’ll do that thanks :smile:

Cut off sugar! I mean all. You would be surprised to see the progress but do go to your GP for a formal care plan.
Original post by Yvaa
Cut off sugar! I mean all. You would be surprised to see the progress but do go to your GP for a formal care plan.

Cutting out sugar made zero difference to me (if anything, things were actually worse for me when I did)
Cutting out sugar made zero difference to me (if anything, things were actually worse for me when I did)

Weird, you mean that you cut off bread, pasta, rice and you had vegetables ? Not cut off just cakes and soda?
Original post by Yvaa
Weird, you mean that you cut off bread, pasta, rice and you had vegetables ? Not cut off just cakes and soda?

Yes, I don't eat pasta and very rarely have rice or bread (if I do eat bread, it's rye bread).

Quick Reply