The Student Room Group

Getting increasingly worried about receiving 5 rejections

I know Unis are taking longer this year to reply in general and I only applied in November so I don't expect a reply already. But because I have an overly pessimistic brain I'm starting to equate no responses = possibility of 5 rejections.

I'm in quite an abnormal position where I am reapplying as an individual after studying a couple of years at Uni before Covid wrecked my mental health and subsequently tanked my previously good grades. I took my time off last year to consider what I wanted to do and have reapplied this year for a completely different subject which was my initial passion (All foundation year programs as I don't have the required A-level subjects for direct entry and I haven't studied this area for quite some time).

I tried to be sensible with my course picks. I have achieved grades of ABB and applied to 2 ABB courses and 3 BBB ones and love the content of all 5.

I think I'm just getting worried that my abnormal position will result in Unis rejecting me and am really dying for just one offer so I knew I have somewhere to go next year. I know it's unreasonable to be this impatient but I am getting in my head a bit unfortunately.
Original post by mah1000000
I know Unis are taking longer this year to reply in general and I only applied in November so I don't expect a reply already. But because I have an overly pessimistic brain I'm starting to equate no responses = possibility of 5 rejections.

I'm in quite an abnormal position where I am reapplying as an individual after studying a couple of years at Uni before Covid wrecked my mental health and subsequently tanked my previously good grades. I took my time off last year to consider what I wanted to do and have reapplied this year for a completely different subject which was my initial passion (All foundation year programs as I don't have the required A-level subjects for direct entry and I haven't studied this area for quite some time).

I tried to be sensible with my course picks. I have achieved grades of ABB and applied to 2 ABB courses and 3 BBB ones and love the content of all 5.

I think I'm just getting worried that my abnormalposition will result in Unis rejecting me and am really dying for just one offer so I knew I have somewhere to g o next year. I know it's unreasonable to be this impatient but I am getting in my head a bit unfortunately.

I don't think you have much to worry about considering you have already achieved the grades they are looking for and you only applied in November. My only concern for you is Student Finance - you do realise that you will have to self fund the first year if you have already done close to 2 years at uni? It could be even more complicated with a foundation year, I think you need to talk to student finance about it if you haven't already
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think you have much to worry about considering you have already achieved the grades they are looking for and you only applied in November. My only concern for you is Student Finance - you do realise that you will have to self fund the first year if you have already done close to 2 years at uni? It could be even more complicated with a foundation year, I think you need to talk to student finance about it if you haven't already

Thanks for the reply. Yeah this is less of an issue of impatience as I know some unis arent even starting to reply till January and ultimately they have until May, just would be much more at rest if I had one confirmed place.

I have spoken about my SFE entitlement and will have to unfortunately partially self find tuition fees which is why I've spent the last year and will spend the coming year working quite hard xD.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah this is less of an issue of impatience as I know some unis arent even starting to reply till January and ultimately they have until May, just would be much more at rest if I had one confirmed place.

I have spoken about my SFE entitlement and will have to unfortunately partially self find tuition fees which is why I've spent the last year and will spend the coming year working quite hard xD.

Oh that's good that you are already prepared for the cost at least.

It's always nerve wracking waiting for the first offer - it should come soon and then you can relax a bit
Reply 4
Oh that's good that you are already prepared for the cost at least.

It's always nerve wracking waiting for the first offer - it should come soon and then you can relax a bit

Thanks for the kind words. I know I'm being unreasonable but I think I'm just more nervous because this time around it is sort of the last attempt at Uni and I'm doing it on my own as opposed to at school. Also last time I applied Unis were more comfortable giving early offers and I heard back quite quickly, but now post TAGs it is less certain.
Really - don't worry.

Most Unis will not make the bulk of their offers until after 26 January - and if they wanted to immediatly reject you they would already have done it.

I think I'm just getting worried that my abnormal position will result in Unis rejecting me and am really dying for just one offer so I knew I have somewhere to go next year. I know it's unreasonable to be this impatient but I am getting in my head a bit unfortunately.

Hi there.
I do understand your concerns. What I did was forgot I ever applied to university so I wouldn't be as surprised at rejections. In the end I was rejected by 3/4 unis and accepted by 1! You only need one uni to say yes to you and you can only go to one university too.

Wishing you all the best.
Reply 7
Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.
I do understand your concerns. What I did was forgot I ever applied to university so I wouldn't be as surprised at rejections. In the end I was rejected by 3/4 unis and accepted by 1! You only need one uni to say yes to you and you can only go to one university too.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Deffo won't be able to forget as I dropped out of Uni to reapply and that's all I have going on at the moment xD. I like all my options so would be more than ecstatic with one offer, just wish I had one so I could relax knowing I had a place next year. Nothing to do about it anyway than just wait and see, hopefully, I won't be waiting till May.
Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Deffo won't be able to forget as I dropped out of Uni to reapply and that's all I have going on at the moment xD. I like all my options so would be more than ecstatic with one offer, just wish I had one so I could relax knowing I had a place next year. Nothing to do about it anyway than just wait and see, hopefully, I won't be waiting till May.

Yes uncertainty isn't a nice feeling at all. I understand, being out of formal education does make you think about it strangely enough. That's great to hear - hoping you will get at least one back asap.

All the best.
Reply 9

Original post by McGinger
Really - don't worry.

Most Unis will not make the bulk of their offers until after 26 January - and if they wanted to immediatly reject you they would already have done it.

Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

Thank you all for the reassuring and kind words, you really did help my little panic spell.

I feel completely ridiculous over how panicked I was before as I have received an offer from my top choice today (Aerospace Engineering at Uni of Sheffield) and have never felt so relieved. Since it will be unconditional once I've uploaded my exam certificates I can be at ease now for the next year.
Thank you all for the reassuring and kind words, you really did help my little panic spell.

I feel completely ridiculous over how panicked I was before as I have received an offer from my top choice today (Aerospace Engineering at Uni of Sheffield) and have never felt so relieved. Since it will be unconditional once I've uploaded my exam certificates I can be at ease now for the next year.

I am so happy to hear that - genuinely. Many congratulations and please don't apologise as these feelings are completely normal and valid.

I wish you the very best for the future and am incredibly grateful for the update :smile: ( It's truly made my day - especially in this weather! )
(edited 2 years ago)

Aw that’s brilliant- the Engineering department at Sheffield is fab. Now you can relax and other offers will follow

Hey there, I'm in the exact same position as you - mature student, returning to uni after dropping out & used 2 years of study! I was wondering if you could help me? In the finance and funding section of your UCAS application, how did you answer, "What will be your main source of funding for your studies?" Given that I'm only funding my first year and the remaining 3 (of a 4 year course) will be funded by SFE, I was unsure of how to answer this question. Both UCAS and SFE have been unable to answer my query so I'm very confused!

Congratulations on receiving your first offer btw!
Original post by fluffymochi
Hey there, I'm in the exact same position as you - mature student, returning to uni after dropping out & used 2 years of study! I was wondering if you could help me? In the finance and funding section of your UCAS application, how did you answer, "What will be your main source of funding for your studies?" Given that I'm only funding my first year and the remaining 3 (of a 4 year course) will be funded by SFE, I was unsure of how to answer this question. Both UCAS and SFE have been unable to answer my query so I'm very confused!

Congratulations on receiving your first offer btw!

Hi, Thank you for the congratulations.

I put down my main source would be SFE as it will still be funding the majority of the degree. As for you too only a quarter will be self-funded so your main source will still be SFE.

I don't believe this is that stringent of a section, I think it makes up part of the information you can voluntarily link to SFE when applying.
Hi, Thank you for the congratulations.

I put down my main source would be SFE as it will still be funding the majority of the degree. As for you too only a quarter will be self-funded so your main source will still be SFE.

I don't believe this is that stringent of a section, I think it makes up part of the information you can voluntarily link to SFE when applying.

Thank you so much! It can be quite confusing when there is such little guidance for students in our position. I can finally check that section as complete haha, just got my personal statement to finish now. I hope that the process of switching from self-funding to tuition fee loan after the first year won't be too difficult!
Original post by fluffymochi
Thank you so much! It can be quite confusing when there is such little guidance for students in our position. I can finally check that section as complete haha, just got my personal statement to finish now. I hope that the process of switching from self-funding to tuition fee loan after the first year won't be too difficult!

No worries. I'm winging it just as much as you.

I think it shouldn't be at all because I believe you still apply in first year as normal anyway. Obviously when your entitlement summary returns there won't be a tuition loan but I've been told you can still receive maintenance funding. Therefore, when it comes to second year for you, you would reapply for finance the same as you would do if it was fully funded from the beginning, this time receiving a tuition loan too.
No worries. I'm winging it just as much as you.

I think it shouldn't be at all because I believe you still apply in first year as normal anyway. Obviously when your entitlement summary returns there won't be a tuition loan but I've been told you can still receive maintenance funding. Therefore, when it comes to second year for you, you would reapply for finance the same as you would do if it was fully funded from the beginning, this time receiving a tuition loan too.

Yeah we definitely still receive the maintenance loan each year which is great! I definitely need to re-familiarise myself with SFE though lol, it's been a while so I completely forgot how it works.

Quick Reply

Latest