Vectors and proof 3points are a straight line

Watch
KingRich
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, this is a 3 part question. I believe I’m right in my working out, however could someone verify my working out as I believe my QM is incorrect.Name:  C8E43E20-CE6A-4C3D-B95A-69F95BF11599.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  40.8 KB
Above is the question.

Here is my solution.
Name:  3DB6F075-ACA2-4ECF-ADF0-70376E933419.jpeg
Views: 9
Size:  186.2 KB
Attached files
Last edited by KingRich; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Looking good. (How) Did you find the value of t in the end?

Minor things which might help in the end, I'd always express stuff like
()a + ()b
so the coefficients of a and b can be easily seen, even if they're negative.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
KingRich
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Looking good. (How) Did you find the value of t in the end?

Minor things which might help in the end, I'd always express stuff like
()a + ()b
so the coefficients of a and b can be easily seen, even if they're negative.
Thank you for confirming.
I was having a little trouble finding the t, so the confirmation helps me to re-evaluate my approach.

Noted: the a and b
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KingRich)
Thank you for confirming.
I was having a little trouble finding the t, so the confirmation helps me to re-evaluate my approach.

Noted: the a and b
Draw the line connecting the 3 points on and draw the two corresponding triangles in terms of *a, *b and the lines youve found. Is there anything "similar" between the two (three) triangles?

Edit -
As an alternative way to do it, you could express a point on BM in terms of a parameter s, then find where (value of t (and s)) the two lines meet.
KingRich
Rep:
Draw the line connecting the 3 points on and draw the two corresponding triangles in terms of *a, *b and the lines youve found. Is there anything "similar" between the two (three) triangles?

Edit -
As an alternative way to do it, you could express a point on BM in terms of a parameter s, then find where (value of t (and s)) the two lines meet.
I have connected the dots and believe I’ve done as you explained. In this instance do the a and b represent the I and J from the vector form?

Between BQ and QM The only thing I see in common is a (t-1), however one is for a and the other is for b.

I think this is what you meant, although like usual I could be wrong
Name:  19451874-AB05-4A6F-948A-FD884E1D9388.jpeg
Views: 8
Size:  89.2 KB Edit: BP= positive a
Attached files
Last edited by KingRich; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There are two ways to go about this

1) is to construct similar triangles and find the t value for which they are actually similar.
2) to find the intersection point between OP and BM which gives Q and t.

For the first method, you can construct 3 "triangles" involving BQ, QM or BM, then argue that the a:b ratio must be the same for each. The "triangle" for BM is formed starting at B then moving -b/2 and then a. So the side ratio of the coefficients a:b is 1:-1/2. You should be able to do the same for one or both of BQ and QM and the a:b side ratios will involve t. Then for the lines to be in the same direction, all would have the same ratio which means you can solve for t.

It would be worth drawing each triangle with one side being parallel to a, the other parallel to b and the third is one of the sides listed above to make sure you understand it
KingRich
Rep:
There are two ways to go about this

1) is to construct similar triangles and find the t value for which they are actually similar.
2) to find the intersection point between OP and BM which gives Q and t.

For the first method, you can construct 3 "triangles" involving BQ, QM or BM, then argue that the a:b ratio must be the same for each. The "triangle" for BM is formed starting at B then moving -b/2 and then a. So the side ratio of the coefficients a:b is 1:-1/2. You should be able to do the same for one or both of BQ and QM and the a:b side ratios will involve t. Then for the lines to be in the same direction, all would have the same ratio which means you can solve for t.

It would be worth drawing each triangle with one side being parallel to a, the other parallel to b and the third is one of the sides listed above to make sure you understand it
Took me a while but I found my way lol.
Name:  B3A3A6CE-FD0C-4AC5-898F-369ABE6B7408.jpeg
Views: 5
Size:  129.2 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Looks correct, but a qucker way would have been to choose one of the "triangles" to be BM as it does not involve t, so its easier. Using that with your BQ
1/-0.5 = t/(t-1)
t-1 = -0.5t
1.5t = 1
t = 2/3
KingRich
Rep:
I didn’t really understand what you were trying to explain with the triangles.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KingRich)
I didn’t really understand what you were trying to explain with the triangles.
Its really just to think of each line segment in terms of a and b. Give me 10 mins and Ill upload a sketch. But if you had a normal set of basis vectors a=i and b=j, then a point like
x = 3i + 4j
would be 3 along the x-axis and 4 along the y-axis. The line OX would form a 3:4:5 right angled triangle with the other two sides 3i and 4j.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This guy is always worth watching. The first four minutes pretty much cover everything (after that its not relevant) apart from they use v,w for the two (basis) vectors rather than a,b. Obvously you can use whatever names you want
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7RM...el=3Blue1Brown

The lines will be parallel if the multipliers (coefficients) associated with a and b are in the same ratio, just as two "normal" lines are parallel if they have the same gradient (same y:x ratio). The corresponding triangles are similar.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.09%
October 2021 (194)
45.86%
November 2021 (44)
10.4%
December 2021 (56)
13.24%
January 2021 (46)
10.87%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.22%