The Student Room Group

Getting over cambridge rejection?

trigger warning: gonna be a typical tsr user in this post crying over cambridge and academic burnout

got my rejection for cambridge medicine last week, realistically I knew it wasn't going to go my way in the days leading up to my BMAT because of how my preparation was going, and then on the test day, and immediately after the test day, and the days following, and then when I got my results I wasn't even waiting for an interview I was waiting for a rejection.

Cambridge interviews like 80-90% of med applicants, and I would've probably been in that if id gotten a better score. But it has been a really difficult few months mentally and family situations, so I honestly didn't start preparing until like a week before the test.

So yeah, I've been sitting on that rejection for a bit now, it didn't initially bother me much, because it was very much expected. But it's really started to set in that I won't be going and for some reason that is really getting to me. If I'm being 100% honest with myself I don't even want to go, not for medicine anyway. I hate hate hate the idea of the medicine course there, but that doesn't stop me being a bit sad. It's really weird I'm in two minds about this

I'm one of those who's wanted to go to cambridge since like year 7, don't know where or why I was thinking about it then but whatever. I always thought id do natural sciences, or archeology, or law at some point. And I probably would love to do one of those there. But as I've said not medicine. So now I'm in this really conflicted mindset, where I'm having to let go of a dream I've had for years, but a dream I don't really want, if that makes sense.

Idk if this was coherent at all, trying to get across my thought process. It's just seeing friends and tiktoks and posts on here about interviews, and one of my best friends started at Oxford this year and I'm so happy for her but it stings a bit. I've even thought about reapplying but then I won't graduate until I'm 26, If I don't get offers this cycle I will only be applying to 5 years courses for sure.

to sum up: I have really wanted to go to cambridge for years, and I'm sad about my rejection, struggling to get over it despite the fact I know it's not what's best for me. Conflicting emotions.

Anyone relate?
I got rejected last year from every uni I applied to, If that makes you feel any better..
Reply 2
yeah it was a joke
hope ur feeling alright, rejection is never nice. i applied for oxford med last year and withdrew my application coz i realised i don’t wanna be a doctor lmao. on a gap year right now and my perspective on things and life has completely changed. u seem quite similar to me in sixth form mindset wise. firstly, medicine is medicine and you will end up at the same place as ppl who did oxbridge medicine - a hospital. and honestly you will have a much better time studying med at a non oxbridge uni. the course is demanding and difficult regardless and there’s no point in going to oxbridge for it coz it’s actually unnecessary added stress. and the reality is most ppl only attend oxbridge for the image/ego boost. i know a lot of ppl who go and they say if you don’t like it it will be awful. ppl take a lot of drugs there, lots of ppl have crappy mental health too. my friend does medicine at cam and he said the nature of the course makes it difficult to study there mentally, and he’s even been put off medicine. you said urself u don’t like the course structure so it seems like ur stressing out way more bc you imagined going to cambridge from young. i did too and it can be hard to let go of that. especially if u were a high achiever and ppl would tell u that you’ll go oxbridge etc. it’s something i’m trying to get over too. but remember when ur there, the fantasy will disappear. it’s you who’s gonna be sat in the library doing those late nights. not ur friends or teachers or whoever else’s opinions u might care about. then the big cambridge fantasy buzzes away. also, not that it matters but if it makes u feel better people are gonna idolise u for studying medicine no matter where u go. in conclusion just do things because YOU want to do them. it’s your life. sometimes you can get clouded by the fantasies of oxbridge or this that and the other but you gotta think, what am i actually going to enjoy. it’s a long 3 years at uni, in your case 5 or 6. in my opinion, the city you go to is really important. you literally only live once so u have to have fun at uni. ur city will shape ur experience wildly, from what i’m hearing from my friends at uni rn. make sure ur uni has a good social scene if ur anything like me (more extroverted.) if ur not, then choose a nice town or city or whatever. make sure u like the course structure and modules that are available. basically choose whatever it’s best suited to you. and when u get to uni all this oxford cambridge yadayada actually won’t matter coz no one cares😭 also, if ur motivated and hard working, you’re gonna succeed anyways no matter where you go. good luck with your alevels and interviews. also where else r u thinking of going?
(edited 2 years ago)
This old thread I made might help you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424310

As someone who got rejected for UG, and went for masters, I genuinely didn't enjoy my time there, and much preferred my UG university. For a course like Medicine, it won't make a huge impact. This is the first academic rejection you've ever had, and it does sting. But, it will pass in time.
Original post by Sandtrooper
This old thread I made might help you: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4424310

As someone who got rejected for UG, and went for masters, I genuinely didn't enjoy my time there, and much preferred my UG university. For a course like Medicine, it won't make a huge impact. This is the first academic rejection you've ever had, and it does sting. But, it will pass in time.

why didn’t you like it?

Quick Reply

Latest