31 Year old: Return to Uni? what to do? how to decide ?

Watch
Mr Sidher
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After much debate, I decided not to go for a MSc in cyber security that I was considering back in September 2021. I have no interest in it.

I studied an IT degree back in 2013, Games Development. I got a 2:2 and a massive headache from programming !

I tried to get a job in IT / software development, but got NO WHERE!
Was actively applying in 2017 after a hiatus from working a cruddy retail job.

I never got a single job related to my undergrad, even after learning to code in Python. I've come to realise that its time to move on from I.T. I don't like it anyway! programming sucks!

I currently work as a Sales Auditor for a Wholesale. My job sucks, but I've gone from stacking shelves throughout my 20's to now finally working in Administration and audit (risk and compliance).

Anyway, enough back story:

A thought suddenly struck me the other day.

I'm 31 years old and realised by September 2022 I will have saved over £20,000.

Why not start fresh? Id LOVE to start all over again and study something I'm passionate about

I could financially support myself to study a degree, And even work part time...

but the 1million dollar question is, what do I study ? What job would I love to do?

Where do my interest flow? I'm Clueless what I would get into.

apologies if this post is a little "rambly" its late lol
Tw1x
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The question is what would you LIKE to do?
Mr Sidher
Rep:
(Original post by Tw1x)
The question is what would you LIKE to do?
I have NO idea!

Seriously I really dont know. If it was something that would immerse me would be brilliant

I really lack passion in my life,
micholate9
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr Sidher)
I have NO idea!

Seriously I really dont know. If it was something that would immerse me would be brilliant

I really lack passion in my life,
Don't go back to uni unless you are entirely clear on your passion. You would waste too much money otherwise and may end up in a similar situation as before!

A lot of grad schemes don't need specific degrees, so you could still apply to some of them with the degree you already have, although you may be restricted because of a 2.2. Maybe have a look here to see if there's anything that sounds interesting? https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...aduate-schemes

And what about taking one of those career profiling tests like this one? https://www.morrisby.com/morrisby-profile
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
We can't tell you what to do, only you can do that. I suppose the question would be, what motivates you? What are you passionate about?

Going back to uni to do another degree with no idea of why you're doing it and for what purpose is a disaster waiting to happen.

Do you want to earn more money? Do you want to work in a specific area? Do you want to do something more worthwhile, something that makes a difference?

And you don't have to do it *right now*, you can wait till that eureka moment hits you.

I spent 15 years working in the pharmaceutical industry thinking "I want to do something more with my life, but I don't know what that something is." I got made redundant last year and now I'm in my 2nd year of my Radiotherapy and Oncology degree and I couldn't be happier. Doing something scientific and nerdy, but also something tremendously rewarding and worthwhile.

Edit: If you do a healthcare degree, you're still eligable for student finance and get a bursary, even if its not your first degree
Last edited by HellomynameisNev; 1 month ago
ladyasprin
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by HellomynameisNev)
Edit: If you do a healthcare degree, you're still eligable for student finance and get a bursary, even if its not your first degree
I would advise only do a healthcare degree if you are certain you want to work in that field, as there are lots of placement hours to complete and some placements can be quite hard (mentally stressful). I would advise looking into shadowing (or at least having a proper chat) with someone working in that field.
Mr Sidher
Rep:
(Original post by micholate9)
Don't go back to uni unless you are entirely clear on your passion. You would waste too much money otherwise and may end up in a similar situation as before!

A lot of grad schemes don't need specific degrees, so you could still apply to some of them with the degree you already have, although you may be restricted because of a 2.2. Maybe have a look here to see if there's anything that sounds interesting? https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...aduate-schemes

And what about taking one of those career profiling tests like this one? https://www.morrisby.com/morrisby-profile
I agree 100% - What does one do ? I cant just choose anything simply because I want a fresh start.

If Only I knew what I wanted....
ladyasprin
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I agree 100% - What does one do ? I cant just choose anything simply because I want a fresh start.

If Only I knew what I wanted....
Maybe think about taking another year to figure that out.
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ladyasprin)
I would advise only do a healthcare degree if you are certain you want to work in that field, as there are lots of placement hours to complete and some placements can be quite hard (mentally stressful). I would advise looking into shadowing (or at least having a proper chat) with someone working in that field.
Oh, 110% It's academically, physically, emotionally and mentally exhausting. I was just pointing out if OP were to choose that route, there's plenty of funding available.
Pedro5431
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
After much debate, I decided not to go for a MSc in cyber security that I was considering back in September 2021. I have no interest in it.

I studied an IT degree back in 2013, Games Development. I got a 2:2 and a massive headache from programming !

I tried to get a job in IT / software development, but got NO WHERE!
Was actively applying in 2017 after a hiatus from working a cruddy retail job.

I never got a single job related to my undergrad, even after learning to code in Python. I've come to realise that its time to move on from I.T. I don't like it anyway! programming sucks!

I currently work as a Sales Auditor for a Wholesale. My job sucks, but I've gone from stacking shelves throughout my 20's to now finally working in Administration and audit (risk and compliance).

Anyway, enough back story:

A thought suddenly struck me the other day.

I'm 31 years old and realised by September 2022 I will have saved over £20,000.

Why not start fresh? Id LOVE to start all over again and study something I'm passionate about

I could financially support myself to study a degree, And even work part time...

but the 1million dollar question is, what do I study ? What job would I love to do?

Where do my interest flow? I'm Clueless what I would get into.

apologies if this post is a little "rambly" its late lol
To be honest, I wouldn't go back to university unless you are getting government funding. It is folly to spend your own money on the degree because you get very little value for money for your degree. Most student are on government funding where they pay back their degree only if they make salary X. If they never make that much, they never pay it back. Unless you are REALLY sure that you have made a good cost-benefit analysis so you know 1) what you are going to study 2) how it will give you a good return on investment, then I wouldn't do it. Hope this helps.
dbhc2411
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Pedro5431)
To be honest, I wouldn't go back to university unless you are getting government funding. It is folly to spend your own money on the degree because you get very little value for money for your degree.
Yes - the above, unless of course you choose a career which is absolutely required to have a degree. Especially in STEM subjects (perhaps science more than the others)
Last edited by dbhc2411; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.81%
Note taking apps (5)
2.92%
Flashcards (31)
18.13%
Revision guides (5)
2.92%
Past papers (85)
49.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.51%

Watched Threads