Is it a must to finish AS before applying for UCAS?

Watch
rimskys
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I'm a private student with reference from my tutor and predicted grade A*AA, planning to finish both AS and Alevel in one summer session.
I wonder if it is disadvantageous for me to do that. Thanks!
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Once you do full A level then the AS is irrelevant. I didn’t even take any AS exams. So no, you’re not disadvantaged
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
Once you do full A level then the AS is irrelevant. I didn’t even take any AS exams. So no, you’re not disadvantaged
Thank you Did you get any interviews without AS result?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by rimskys)
Hello I'm a private student with reference from my tutor and predicted grade A*AA, planning to finish both AS and Alevel in one summer session.
I wonder if it is disadvantageous for me to do that. Thanks!
I think a uni would have doubts about whether someone could achieve A*AA in one year unless you have really outstanding academics from previous study to support your application to top unis
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What subject are you applying for?
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think a uni would have doubts about whether someone could achieve A*AA in one year unless you have really outstanding academics from previous study to support your application to top unis
Thank you! Will a bad AS result affect the chance of interview from top uni?
A in Chemistry and Economics but B-C in Biology
Last edited by rimskys; 1 month ago
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
What subject are you applying for?
Biomed
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Biomed
Aside from Oxford, Cambridge and for some courses at Manchester, no Unis interview for Biomed.
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Aside from Oxford, Cambridge and for some courses at Manchester, no Unis interview for Biomed.
I applied for Imperial, UCL and Edin, will lack of AS result affect the chance of getting a offer from them?
WantBeAnonymous
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The course I applied for isn’t one that does interviews but I got 4 unconditional offers
harrysbar
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you! Will a bad AS result affect the chance of interview from top uni?
A in Chemistry and Economics but B-C in Biology
I thought you didn't have AS results? #confused
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by harrysbar)
I thought you didn't have AS results? #confused
I don't have one now but I could enroll for January session (IAL)
I'm thinking if I should enroll for that
Last edited by rimskys; 1 month ago
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I don't have one now but I could enroll for January session (IAL)
I'm thinking if I should enroll for that
Most students in England don't complete AS Levels any longer so it will not disadvantage you.
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by WantBeAnonymous)
The course I applied for isn’t one that does interviews but I got 4 unconditional offers
Did you finish Alevel before receiving offers?
rimskys
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
Most students in England don't complete AS Levels any longer so it will not disadvantage you.
Do you mean they only have to finish A2 units for UCAS?
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
They don't need to have finished any units really. In most cases just to have completed enough work for their teachers to provide predicted grades.
EOData
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No. In England the entire A level specification is examined at the end of the course in a single exam season so pe5ople don't take external exams part way through. (AS does stills exist for most subjects but if you take the exams they don't contribute to the final grade, just like GCSE results don't contribute to it either).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (12)
6%
October 2021 (97)
48.5%
November 2021 (20)
10%
December 2021 (30)
15%
January 2021 (16)
8%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (20)
10%