When you order from big supermarkets, do they deliver in bags?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I sometimes see asda deliveries and they're not delivered in bags they have crates and you have to take items individually from crates which is stupid. The delivery person should just handover your items in bags that you can keep. Is this just asda or do all supermarkets have crates? Like I want to order my groceries instead of going in store every time but I don't want to be at the door for ages trying to get shopping in especially in a nosy neighbourhood
BurstingBubbles
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I sometimes see asda deliveries and they're not delivered in bags they have crates and you have to take items individually from crates which is stupid. The delivery person should just handover your items in bags that you can keep. Is this just asda or do all supermarkets have crates? Like I want to order my groceries instead of going in store every time but I don't want to be at the door for ages trying to get shopping in especially in a nosy neighbourhood
It often keeps changing. With our morrisons order they did them, then didn't, now do again. I think you can request bag free delivery with some supermarkets. You can normally give back the bags and get reimbursed for them. It's all part of trying to be environmentally friendly I think!
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Taking things from a rigid reusable box is 'stupid' now?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yeah and they normally let you take them into the house to unload it (there was a time with covid when they didn't). It adds a bit of time but isn't too bad. Obviously might not be accessible for everyone if they're heavy/bulky so bags may be better for some people
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
you usually have the choice of bags or not. The bags cost 10p each so some people opt for no bags - and lose way more than the cost of the bags when the heat rushes out of the house during the unloading of the crates.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You need to think about rejecting substitute items. That is a lot easier if the goods aren't bagged. Different supermarkets and different staff do substitutions with varying levels of intelligence.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by StriderHort)
From what I've seen they don't come in a box. Crates with your shopping in are left at your door for you to unload into your house then you give back the crates.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
It often keeps changing. With our morrisons order they did them, then didn't, now do again. I think you can request bag free delivery with some supermarkets. You can normally give back the bags and get reimbursed for them. It's all part of trying to be environmentally friendly I think!
Oh right I'll have to get bags if there's the option then. They should should just deliver in free paper bags, then it will be quick for everyone, the delivery person can just handover the bags and they can be recycled after.
JPF6
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm not sure if its different in different countries or even counties but mine are dropped off in crates at your front door and you are expected to unload it.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
From what I've seen they don't come in a box. Crates with your shopping in are left at your door for you to unload into your house then you give back the crates.

You're objecting to the word box rather than crate?

Jeez no one can do anything right around you can they?
BurstingBubbles
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Oh right I'll have to get bags if there's the option then. They should should just deliver in free paper bags, then it will be quick for everyone, the delivery person can just handover the bags and they can be recycled after.
I think the issue is if they're free people may not remember or be bothered to hand back the bags to be recycled - then people will just end up with a hoarde of bags and may just bin them (not good for the environment). You have to pay for bags in store so only fair you do for delivery and then get the money back when you give them back
IWMTom
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ocado do this quite well. You pay for the bags, but get a refund if you return them next time.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bags have pretty much been greenwashed away from grocery home shopping now, much to the annoyance of most shoppers (evidence = the drivers!). Waitrose stopped using bags a couple of months ago, and most other supermarkets had stopped well before then. In fact, the only one I can think of now is Ocado, and I suspect that's because of the way their automated warehouses are set up.

It's a great irritation to us all, but there's no going back - they're not going to reintroduce them. The best thing to do is to have some bags to hand, and when the driver arrives hand them to him or her and ask him to pack the shopping up in bags, so you can take it through into your house like that. Alternatively, you may be able to take the crate into your kitchen so you don't have to do it at the door.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Tesco doesn't.
Iceland does.

I don't know about others at the moment. I only get deliveries from those two at present.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
The best thing to do is to have some bags to hand, and when the driver arrives hand them to him or her and ask him to pack the shopping up in bags, so you can take it through into your house like that. Alternatively, you may be able to take the crate into your kitchen so you don't have to do it at the door.
I put some storage crates just outside my front door (I live in a flat and its in my entryway, and they are only out for a couple of minutes before the man arrives at my door) and the delivery man puts my shopping in them then I drag them in.
I started putting them outside the door when they wanted people to have their shopping left outside due to covid.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Tesco used to give you the option of bags for an additional charge. They stopped doing this which was a bit annoying as we reused them as cat litter tray liners.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (37)
6.36%
October 2021 (261)
44.85%
November 2021 (70)
12.03%
December 2021 (74)
12.71%
January 2021 (75)
12.89%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (46)
7.9%