Scrax
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone have any ideas of possible careers with languages but not teaching or translation, I'm feeling pretty despondent right now.
Last edited by Scrax; 1 month ago
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Scrax)
Does anyone have any ideas of possible careers with languages but not teaching or translation, I'm feeling pretty despondent right now.
Hey there!

Prospects have a few careers quizzes that may be super helpful to narrow down some possible options if you want to extend your net quite far: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/planner

You can also check out this page which lists some potential jobs for people who have studied languages/linguistics: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ee/linguistics

Some options from that webpage include:

English as a foreign language teacher
Lexicographer
Marketing executive
Public relations officer
Publishing copy-editor/proofreader
Secondary school teacher
Speech and language therapist
Talent agent
Teaching assistant

Jobs where your degree would be useful include:

Academic researcher
Civil Service fast streamer
Digital copywriter
Editorial assistant
Information officer
Public librarian
Social researcher
Translator

I hope this has been helpful
Scrax
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Very helpful, thanks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
All the things you can do with any degree, so any generalist grad scheme in e.g. business, media, banking, accounting, the civil service, law, etc. These would not necessarily use the language background however, although depending on the role and which language(s) you have as background you might use them.

Something more language based which isn't exactly "translation" could be working in localisation - this is a reasonably big industry with how many films, TV shows, video games, etc, etc, are made in one country then ported internationally in translation. Often this process involves more than just direct translation but localising things to the cultural context of the target country/language in a way that the same sense is translated but in a way that isn't obscure to them.

Academic research is of course an option as well, potentially.
bunnyrabbit2
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Customer Service. Also in police work it could help to know two languages.
tinyperson
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
travel agent
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.55%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.41%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.31%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (216)
46.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed