The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Is my application hindered?

I am applying for BSc Sociology at LSE. My PS is mostly about sociology, I even named sociology directly. I wonder if my application is hindered if I add BA Social Anthropology as an additional choice at the LSE with this personal statement. These two majors are related.
Original post by Anonymous
I am applying for BSc Sociology at LSE. My PS is mostly about sociology, I even named sociology directly. I wonder if my application is hindered if I add BA Social Anthropology as an additional choice at the LSE with this personal statement. These two majors are related.

I strongly advise against this. Firstly, the university will reject you from one of the courses straight away (usually the more competitive one) as they have limited spaces. Secondly, the university may feel that you are more interested in the institution's name rather than having a genuine interest for the course (even if you do!) which may deter them from your leftover application. This is just my opinion though, feel free to do as you wish and good luck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I strongly advise against this. Firstly, the university will reject you from one of the courses straight away (usually the more competitive one) as they have limited spaces. Secondly, the university may feel that you are more interested in the institution's name rather than having a genuine interest for the course (even if you do!) which may deter them from your leftover application. This is just my opinion though, feel free to do as you wish and good luck!

Thank you really much:smile:. Does this apply only to LSE, or does every institution reject applicants who apply for more than 1 choice, even though the majors are similar? For example, BSc Sociology and BSc Social Sciences at the UCL?
Thank you really much:smile:. Does this apply only to LSE, or does every institution reject applicants who apply for more than 1 choice, even though the majors are similar? For example, BSc Sociology and BSc Social Sciences at the UCL?

As far as I'm aware, not every institution does this; it's simply because LSE is known to have so few spaces. In regard to UCL, I believe they are slightly more lenient with this sort of thing - I think it is unlikely here unless you have applied for very competitive courses e.g. Econ. I would go ahead with applying for two courses at UCL, you may even get two offers!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending