The Student Room Group

Should I drop triple science for combined science?

I am a year 11 student who is currently taking triple science. Because of lockdowns I have lost a lot of learning. Unlike most schools where you choose triple science as one of your options or you stay after school to do it, our school crams all the triple content into the same amount of lessons that combined students have meaning we are constantly having to rush through everything and unlike the combined science, we do not have time to go back and review everything that we have done in lockdown, we just have to keep going. I have my mocks happening right now and the vast majority of time I have spent revising it has been on science to try and catch up for lost learning, to a point where I have barely started English and maths. My current grades in science are 6s and 7s. I am unsure if it is a good idea to swap triple science for combined and allow myself more time for everything else and re-cover the content that I missed in lockdown or to stay in triple and plough through everything. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tom
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I believe it’s a good idea. The only reason I picked triple was because I thought it was needed for the science alevels. You have a better chance in getting a higher grade too in combined. And triple isn’t required for science alevels. My friend did combined and got an A* in science.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tomrawlinson01
I am a year 11 student who is currently taking triple science. Because of lockdowns I have lost a lot of learning. Unlike most schools where you choose triple science as one of your options or you stay after school to do it, our school crams all the triple content into the same amount of lessons that combined students have meaning we are constantly having to rush through everything and unlike the combined science, we do not have time to go back and review everything that we have done in lockdown, we just have to keep going. I have my mocks happening right now and the vast majority of time I have spent revising it has been on science to try and catch up for lost learning, to a point where I have barely started English and maths. My current grades in science are 6s and 7s. I am unsure if it is a good idea to swap triple science for combined and allow myself more time for everything else and re-cover the content that I missed in lockdown or to stay in triple and plough through everything. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Tom

GCSE really isn't that in depth - my daughters school taught it in 6 month blocks doing 2 sciences at a time and so sometimes they didn't do a particular science for 6 months. She was panicking before her mocks but I just bought the revision guides for her off amazon, as the teaching was so lacking and she ended up getting 3 grade 9's on her mocks - if there is a science you definitely don't want to do at a level then yes drop to combined but if you're unsure stick with 3 for now so you don't limit your a-level choices x my daughter pretty much taught herself with the revision guides x
Tom

Definitely drop Triple, Tom. If you're struggling to fit everything in, you'd be much better off getting two good grades at Combined than three mediocre ones doing Triple. Were you planning on doing anything science-related at A level?
Original post by Reality Check
Definitely drop Triple, Tom. If you're struggling to fit everything in, you'd be much better off getting two good grades at Combined than three mediocre ones doing Triple. Were you planning on doing anything science-related at A level?

So sorry I haven't responded been having technical issues. That does sound like a good idea, I will stay in the same class as everyone doing triple but whenever they do triple only topics we re-cover older topics that we are not so good at so get revision time in class while all they are learning content. I was planning to do a level biology because I love biology however I don't like the other too sciences quite as much. Thank you so so much again for the advice.
Original post by Honey57
I believe it’s a good idea. The only reason I picked triple was because I thought it was needed for the science alevels. You have a better chance in getting a higher grade too in combined. And triple isn’t required for science alevels. My friend did combined and got an A* in science.

So sorry I have only just seen your message been having some technical issues. Thank you so so much for your advice, the triple content is a lot more to master than the combined. I plan to continue on at my school for sixth form and do a level biology and they want two sixes in combined or two sixes in triple, so the same grade for both despite combined being easier. I'm already working at sixes in triple so think what I could get if I moved down to combined!
So sorry I haven't responded been having technical issues. That does sound like a good idea, I will stay in the same class as everyone doing triple but whenever they do triple only topics we re-cover older topics that we are not so good at so get revision time in class while all they are learning content. I was planning to do a level biology because I love biology however I don't like the other too sciences quite as much. Thank you so so much again for the advice.

No problem, and you're welcome :smile:
Original post by claireyd88
GCSE really isn't that in depth - my daughters school taught it in 6 month blocks doing 2 sciences at a time and so sometimes they didn't do a particular science for 6 months. She was panicking before her mocks but I just bought the revision guides for her off amazon, as the teaching was so lacking and she ended up getting 3 grade 9's on her mocks - if there is a science you definitely don't want to do at a level then yes drop to combined but if you're unsure stick with 3 for now so you don't limit your a-level choices x my daughter pretty much taught herself with the revision guides x

Thank you so much for your reply so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner I've been having some tech issues. I do have the CGP revision guides from the school and they have been very useful so far however I only just got them before the mocks started unfortunately. I am planning on doing a level biology but no other sciences for a level (unless you include maths which I am doing). Maybe I can try and catch up over the xmas holidays with the revision guides that I have now got and get to the same level as everyone else. Thank you so so much for your comment again.
Reply 8
Hey Tom, I've finished my GCSEs last year, and from what I've heard, this year's year 11s have got it much harder with the lockdowns and lost content. On one hand, the same thing happened with me, and my predicted grades were pretty similar to yours but I achieved 9s in the end only because I practiced like crazy - the thing is, if I just stuck to the standard of schoolwork and the homework the school expected me to do, I probably would have never gone beyond what I could have. Everyone was kinda in the same boat in our class, we all had the same gaps in our learning, but the ones that passed were the ones that actually went home and taught themselves things they didn't cover in class. I would really recommend you buying CGP revision guides because they're extremely condensed to the point where it's all the information you really need - I ended up never touching my own notes. The thing is, if you've been practicing hard since Year 10/9, I say don't drop triple. The only difference is about 20 hours extra content really, we had about 1 extra triple class a week after school - it didn't change difficulty but it was just more content. It's definitely going to help in Bio A-Levels (I'm currently doing the course) and I feel like those who haven't done triple in my class have had a bigger jump between GCSE and A-Level. tbf, it really is a bit of a shame if you are able to do triple and drop it midway, so i understand how you feel in terms of wanting to be safe, but at the same time, if you feel like you won't be able to teach yourself the extra content before the exam, i advise you to drop, only because from what i've heard, this year's y11s have it harder than last years'. i'm quite sorry if this reply didn't help, but for more context, triple is not harder, just more content, and really very much helpful for any sciency a-level. whether you cram studying all the content at once or not (not a good idea to, but if you're out of options then you might have to here) cramming in everything in three months doesn't seem very realistic. For me personally, I completed the course in the span of three months when I started the course in Year 9 at home, and then whatever I did at school was just revision really, so it *does* work, but it takes a LOT of effort to cram in content. If you're willing to go the extra mile for the next three months, go for it, and use the cgp guides as well as the youtube channel: primerose kitten, BBA Science, and freesciencelessons. They teach everything but really really condensed which is helpful if you don't have much time. However, this only resorts to how much effort you are willing to put in. If you are one of those people, then do it! But if you feel like your other subjects might need a little more tending to, then please, please drop for combined. I'd rather balance out all my subjects than getting great on science but then like failing at idk english for example and having to redo it at post-16. I'm telling you now that the people who got great grades were the ones that went home and put more effort in, and sure, if you put the effort in at home, you can do it! I had a supply teacher for most of the last two years of the GCSE course so I was forced to teach content to myself at home, so it's doable only if you want to do it for yourself and if you are willing to smash them:smile:)))lmao this became a rant but only because i dont advise you to drop if you think you're capable! your predicted grades are really high already - if you think you can go beyond, don't drop. im sorry i cant really advise further because this is a thing where you'll have to decide on your own if you think you can, or cannot. all the best, i know this might feel confusing now, so I advise you to make your decision asap because your exams are a little close now. wish you the best!!! (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧
Original post by gyuguwu
Hey Tom, I've finished my GCSEs last year, and from what I've heard, this year's year 11s have got it much harder with the lockdowns and lost content. On one hand, the same thing happened with me, and my predicted grades were pretty similar to yours but I achieved 9s in the end only because I practiced like crazy - the thing is, if I just stuck to the standard of schoolwork and the homework the school expected me to do, I probably would have never gone beyond what I could have. Everyone was kinda in the same boat in our class, we all had the same gaps in our learning, but the ones that passed were the ones that actually went home and taught themselves things they didn't cover in class. I would really recommend you buying CGP revision guides because they're extremely condensed to the point where it's all the information you really need - I ended up never touching my own notes. The thing is, if you've been practicing hard since Year 10/9, I say don't drop triple. The only difference is about 20 hours extra content really, we had about 1 extra triple class a week after school - it didn't change difficulty but it was just more content. It's definitely going to help in Bio A-Levels (I'm currently doing the course) and I feel like those who haven't done triple in my class have had a bigger jump between GCSE and A-Level. tbf, it really is a bit of a shame if you are able to do triple and drop it midway, so i understand how you feel in terms of wanting to be safe, but at the same time, if you feel like you won't be able to teach yourself the extra content before the exam, i advise you to drop, only because from what i've heard, this year's y11s have it harder than last years'. i'm quite sorry if this reply didn't help, but for more context, triple is not harder, just more content, and really very much helpful for any sciency a-level. whether you cram studying all the content at once or not (not a good idea to, but if you're out of options then you might have to here) cramming in everything in three months doesn't seem very realistic. For me personally, I completed the course in the span of three months when I started the course in Year 9 at home, and then whatever I did at school was just revision really, so it *does* work, but it takes a LOT of effort to cram in content. If you're willing to go the extra mile for the next three months, go for it, and use the cgp guides as well as the youtube channel: primerose kitten, BBA Science, and freesciencelessons. They teach everything but really really condensed which is helpful if you don't have much time. However, this only resorts to how much effort you are willing to put in. If you are one of those people, then do it! But if you feel like your other subjects might need a little more tending to, then please, please drop for combined. I'd rather balance out all my subjects than getting great on science but then like failing at idk english for example and having to redo it at post-16. I'm telling you now that the people who got great grades were the ones that went home and put more effort in, and sure, if you put the effort in at home, you can do it! I had a supply teacher for most of the last two years of the GCSE course so I was forced to teach content to myself at home, so it's doable only if you want to do it for yourself and if you are willing to smash them:smile:)))lmao this became a rant but only because i dont advise you to drop if you think you're capable! your predicted grades are really high already - if you think you can go beyond, don't drop. im sorry i cant really advise further because this is a thing where you'll have to decide on your own if you think you can, or cannot. all the best, i know this might feel confusing now, so I advise you to make your decision asap because your exams are a little close now. wish you the best!!! (๑•̀ㅂ•́)و✧

Thank you so much for your response it has been very useful. I have just today gotten the results of my mock exams back and got 7 in biology 7 in chemistry and 9 in physics and that was on triple papers. I did revise a lot for those, much more than the other subjects but now after the revision and the mocks and some work over Xmas I do seem to be familiar enough with the content to get strong grades. I think I will stick with triple for now to be perfectly honest as it will help me with biology A level. Also I have CGP guides that I used to revise for the mocks. Thank you very much again. Tom :smile:
Just to update everyone I got 7s in biology and chemistry and a 9 in physics on my mock so I decided to stick with triple.
Reply 11
omg idk why I just found this now but ayyyyyy I'm so glad you stuck with triple 💪 and omg those grades 😳 ur definitely gonna ace them for sure, good luck this year !!! glad u found my response helpful too 😆

Quick Reply

Latest