What do you find most difficult about revising?

Watch
Poll: What do you find most difficult about revising?
Prioritising what to revise (35)
10.74%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (13)
3.99%
Finding the time to revise (19)
5.83%
Finding the motivation (85)
26.07%
Getting distracted (59)
18.1%
Procrastination (112)
34.36%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
0.61%
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Revising can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. I imagine especially if you're one of many students now faced with a few more mock exams than you might have expected.

We want to make sure we can support you as much as possible with tackling your revision.

So I'm wondering - what do you find most difficult about it?

P.S - there's some tips for revising over the break here if it's useful.
What i found really hard was knowing where to start what to revise I din't really have a strategy I and of know how to do it right now but it was really hard for GCSE and things.

nareony
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Took me many years to find a revision strategy that worked, the key for me was putting in the right motivations and keeping myself focused.

I did this a couple ways, 1) high intensity regular breaks (every hour id take 5 minutes, long lunch & dinner breaks & mini rewards). 2) I set high goals for myself & i had bets with my peers over results. 3) a schedule 4) eliminate distractions
my friends arent too competitive with school so i cant get motiveted by them , ive tried that method but it works for a day and then i cant bring myself to do it, i guess everyone has their own good method
Last edited by nareony; 1 month ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nareony)
my friends arent too competitive with school so i cant get motiveted by them , ive tried that method but it works for a day and then i cant bring myself to do it, i guess everyone has their own good method
Replace people with other incentives, if your motivated enough you’ll find the right incentive.
0ptics
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by nareony)
i think i'll try your method its just i need discipline because i come home and do nothing for 2 hours and then finally start . i prefer revising in the early night but i have to start early otherwise i wont get much done
The bit in bold sums me up really well, and is a contributing factor for me getting stuff done. The fact that I know I can’t revise well at night helps me to do stuff before that point.

As for the rest, yeah, discipline is needed. It won’t come immediately but to build up discipline, I’ve tried the non-zero rule. It’s where you aim to do one thing per day. Even if it’s as small as writing one sentence. One >zero, after all. Note that I’m not perfect and most of the time, my revision efficiency wanes but this still helps with discipline, IMO.
nareony
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
Replace people with other incentives, if your motivated enough you’ll find the right incentive.
i dont want to leave them and i dont know who else anyway, because everyones in groups . okay i will try though
nareony
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 0ptics)
The bit in bold sums me up really well, and is a contributing factor for me getting stuff done. The fact that I know I can’t revise well at night helps me to do stuff before that point.

As for the rest, yeah, discipline is needed. It won’t come immediately but to build up discipline, I’ve tried the non-zero rule. It’s where you aim to do one thing per day. Even if it’s as small as writing one sentence. One >zero, after all. Note that I’m not perfect and most of the time, my revision efficiency wanes but this still helps with discipline, IMO.
thank you for the advice, I'll try doing these things from now on, studying is hard but the long term impacts will be good *(^o^)/*
cablecringe
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
what's the difference between motivation and procrastination?
BlinkyBill
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by cablecringe)
what's the difference between motivation and procrastination?
Pretty open to interpretation I guess! :K: To me motivation might be more like 'getting started', whereas procrastination is more like getting drawn into doing other stuff. And distractions might be more like things in the environment that stop me from revising (like loud siblings, etc). But I mean... they're probs pretty similar lol.
ReviseSleeping
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think for me it’s a mix of actually getting the motivation to start and getting distracted. Once I’ve started it, I’ll be fine - until my phone goes off or something else.
Ammar3137
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Revising can be a bit of a struggle sometimes. I imagine especially if you're one of many students now faced with a few more mock exams than you might have expected.

We want to make sure we can support you as much as possible with tackling your revision.

So I'm wondering - what do you find most difficult about it?

P.S - there's some tips for revising over the break here if it's useful.
For me the hardest bit has to be getting started. Once I get started there's no stopping me but it's getting started that's the problem...
Chronoscope
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think for me it's condensing my notes in a way that makes it possible to revise, unfortunately my notes can get quite lengthy as I'm always worried I might miss something important
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Doing it
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chronoscope)
I think for me it's condensing my notes in a way that makes it possible to revise, unfortunately my notes can get quite lengthy as I'm always worried I might miss something important
I highlight the vocabulary that's important to learn, then write a summarised definition of it to put onto a flashcard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
22.09%
Note taking apps (5)
3.07%
Flashcards (29)
17.79%
Revision guides (5)
3.07%
Past papers (82)
50.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.68%

Watched Threads