How important is University branding for IB? And a couple of other Qs.

Watch
Aspstudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm applying to all semi-targets and already have work experience with banks however, I was wondering how important university branding is for investment banks.

Why do they require you to go to specific universities? Is it supposed to be a selling point to clients, as is the case with consulting firms? Are those specific universities better at preparing students for the job?
leviticus.
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
It’s not a hard requirement, people break in from lower tier universities every year but are a minority. Tbh it’s a mix of everything you mentioned, the universities are known to attract the best and brightest students so recruiters gravitate to them + convenience for CV screens. Easy way to cut down number of apps they have to look at.
Manvith
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Aspstudent)
I'm applying to all semi-targets and already have work experience with banks however, I was wondering how important university branding is for investment banks.

Why do they require you to go to specific universities? Is it supposed to be a selling point to clients, as is the case with consulting firms? Are those specific universities better at preparing students for the job?
For which universities did you apply?
Aspstudent
Rep:
(Original post by Manvith)
For which universities did you apply?
Nottingham, Bristol, Bath, St.Andrews and Exeter.

Yes, I'm staying up trying to figure out whether I should apply to UCL, Warwick, Durham, St.Andrews and Bristol instead for Politics because it's easier to get into and the course is somewhat interesting.
Last edited by Aspstudent; 1 month ago
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Yes, I'm staying up trying to figure out whether I should apply to UCL, Warwick, Durham, St.Andrews and Bristol instead for Politics because it's easier to get into and the course is somewhat interesting.
You can take out at andrews and replace it with Nottingham or bath?
Aspstudent
Rep:
You can take out at Andrews and replace it with Nottingham or bath?
Is it worth it to try and change to do a politics degree at better Universities even though I like finance more?
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Is it worth it to try and change to do a politics degree at better Universities even though I like finance more?
I would recommend you to do an economics degree if you have the grades rather than a politics degree you will have more scope with an economics degree?
Aspstudent
Rep:
I would recommend you to do an economics degree if you have the grades rather than a politics degree you will have more scope with an economics degree?
Unfortunately don't have the grades for Econ, other than financial economics at St. Andrews.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For target universities degree doesn’t matter that much but you should enjoy the subject where you can get the grades like 2:1.
Aspstudent
Rep:
For target universities degree doesn’t matter that much but you should enjoy the subject where you can get the grades like 2:1.
I honestly don't know what to pick anymore.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I honestly don't know what to pick anymore.
What subjects do you like to study?
Aspstudent
Rep:
What subjects do you like to study?
Finance, Accounting, Econ, all of the common business subjects. Yet, I don't know whether politics is something I'll excel at.
Aspstudent
Rep:
It'll be incredibly hard to change my personal statement to something politics related all in the span of a month! Plus, there are only two targets I could apply to, all else being semi-targets.
Last edited by Aspstudent; 1 month ago
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Because if you don’t have that interest to study politics then do not study that subject as you have to study that for 3 years at university.
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Study the subject you find most interesting to you.
econhelp525
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Finance, Accounting, Econ, all of the common business subjects. Yet, I don't know whether politics is something I'll excel at.
Your selection of A-Levels (and one A-Level equivalent) is an issue for some universities. A politics degree may be the best option for you, because I struggle to see what else would be suitable. Accounting and Finance would probably, maybe, be a course which overlooks your narrow selection of A-Levels.
Aspstudent
Rep:
Because if you don’t have that interest to study politics then do not study that subject as you have to study that for 3 years at university.
I think vibe got a plan, thanks for all your help )
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think vibe got a plan, thanks for all your help )
What is your plan?
Manvith
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Bump
anonuser99
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Should be fine at any of those unis as long as you do what you're meant to do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (39)
22.81%
Note taking apps (5)
2.92%
Flashcards (31)
18.13%
Revision guides (5)
2.92%
Past papers (85)
49.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.51%

Watched Threads