Am I being unrealistic or will I achieve an A* A* A*? GYG

Watch
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mnot)
If you showed me the transcript of someone who “bombed” their GCSEs would I predict them A*A*A, no.

that said their are plenty of examples of people who have gone from pretty average GCSE performance to being a top A-level performer, and their is no reason why this shouldn’t be you. Ultimately it will require hard work, grit & determination. All you can do is give everything you’ve got and see where you end up, grit & hard work are great attributes worth developing and always pay dividends long term regardless in life.
Ibz Mo is a good example of this. He went from 2 B’s, 3 C’s and 2 D’s at GCSE to getting A*A*A at A-level. That is a rare case though.
rosy_posy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ka_Hels)
Thank you, I am definitely determined to do my best despite my GCSE grades, which after asking my teacher means that I am likely to get Bs in my exams. It is very encouraging to hear that it is possible as long as I work hard and consistently. Xx

Thank you! I am definitely proud of myself now that I've had the time to take a step back and truly grasp everything that happened during the past year, especially since I did not do well with online schooling to the extent that at one point I had over 85 missing assignments lol. As you said I also lacked the knowledge of just how much work those top grades required and I think even now I'm still trying to figure that out. Xx
I've been predicted BBB based on my GCSEs too. I also struggled a lot with online school, like you were saying. The workload just felt too intense.
We have such similar stories, it's uncanny 😂
I am aiming for ABB at the end of Y13, as I know my limits and don't want to set myself unrealistic expectations again.
Vapordave
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Are we the same person?
Spoiler:
Show
Good luck though
Ka_Hels
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
3. The first week

So, it's been a little while since my first post. I admit, I've not done as much work as I had anticipated and I've even managed to put off writing this for 4 days later than I had planned. But, things are looking up slightly. After writing the first 2 posts on this blog it helped me to straighten out my thoughts and feelings about all this and now I have a sense of direction I didn't originally have.

Firstly, the schedule I mentioned:

Spoiler:
Show

I mentioned in my last post that I was going to find an old schedule of mine and modify it to fit my personal needs better at this point in time. But, I couldn't find it. So I've had to make a new schedule which mostly consists of writing a very large list of everything I want to get done including assignments, consolidation questions and revision. Then I'll split these tasks up over the week and add any new ones that come up, being careful not to put too much work onto one day which would tank my motivation if I didn't end up completing it all.

I'll be using this for next few weeks over the holidays to see if it helps with my revision (especially with my maths internal mocks coming up shortly after the holidays are over).

Secondly, my holiday plans:

Spoiler:
Show

It's the holidays soon and obviously I want to enjoy my time both off school and work (praise my supervisor and her kindness) but I don't want to end up wasting all this time. I've decided that I'm going to self-study further maths and try to convince my maths teacher that they should let me sit the exam or if that doesn't work I'm going to sit the exam as a private candidate (maybe I should change the title to A* A* A* A*). This means that I will have to spend ALOT of effort both revising and making sure that I AM revising. I'm planning to use the Christmas break as a means to jumpstart my efforts and hopefully show my maths teacher that I am capable after the break.

If anyone is doing AS Level FM at the minute and could let me know where they are in the course right now, that'd be super helpful in catching up.

Finally, this will just be me ranting a little bit about how the last week went and my thoughts on a few things.

Spoiler:
Show

This week hasn't been my best. I accidentally go sucked into a new book I bought and spent 4 days reading over 400,000 words in order to finish it. This meant I spent barely any time outside of class doing any assignments or revision and having to catch up using my friends help. Obviously this isn't great and I'm still learning how to manage my time but now that I've finished the book I should be able to avoid doing that again.

Covid. We've all heard about the new variant and Boris' Plan B. I'm torn on how I feel about all this in regards to my education. On one hand, the prospect of another Lockdown fills me dread after the disaster of the last ones. But on the other hand, I'm hoping for an opportunity to utilise it better than I had before. Especially since I've moved house and feel a lot more confident in my ability to work without supervision. Either way, I still naively hope that everything works itself out and we don't have to go into a lockdown, since that would mean lots of people are getting seriously ill.
summerbirdreads
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Good luck with your holiday plans! I hope you achieve your goals.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (17)
6.97%
October 2021 (116)
47.54%
November 2021 (24)
9.84%
December 2021 (32)
13.11%
January 2021 (21)
8.61%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (26)
10.66%