The Student Room Group

why do I overthink?

I have GAD and depression but I tend to overthink about everything.... I have always had mental health issues since I was a child, you see I was bullied for a long time and dealt with trauma for years but I still overthink about the past a lot. I had CBT but I asked for a three week break which was supposed to focus on my assignments, up coming exam and my own mental health.

However, nothing is working. I feel like a complete failure
Original post by Anonymous
I have GAD and depression but I tend to overthink about everything.... I have always had mental health issues since I was a child, you see I was bullied for a long time and dealt with trauma for years but I still overthink about the past a lot. I had CBT but I asked for a three week break which was supposed to focus on my assignments, up coming exam and my own mental health.

However, nothing is working. I feel like a complete failure

As someone with anxiety I totally get where you are coming it also causes overthink stuff too (for me it's typically social situations although I do get them with work too).

It does get better its just learning coping strategies and trying to deal with the ebbs and flows caused by stress or even the time of year and it sounds like you are trying to take care of your mental health and making positive steps towards maintaining it.

For me some strategies that helped were to compartmentalise it like the past is done and the future is all I can change, looking into others intrusive thoughts also helped because it made me realise that some of the thoughts I had weren't unique to me and helped me feel like less terrible.

Hope you find some coping strategies that work for you and keep persevering, you are not a failure and good luck on your assignments :smile:
I sometimes think I may have GAD and/or depression

I constantly overthink, stress and worry over little things. I am very different to my family in that sense. They always tell me to stop overreacting about things (that makes me anxious but they find it normal) but I can't help it. The worry is uncontrollable. They tell me that everyone has done it or something similar and that they did not get 'worked up' or overreact when they do it.

I feel worthless, pathetic and like I am so different. I have like no friends and I feel so lonely. I feel like a failure and like I am not good enough.

I have been struggling with my mental health for years now and have struggled with issues like self harm and wanting everything to end

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending