Cocoboots
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m in year 11 and need to pick my a level options. I’ve decided on politics and English lit but need to pick a fourth one. I was thinking of economics or biology although biology doesn’t really fit in with the other choices. What would go well with these subjects?
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Cocoboots)
I’m in year 11 and need to pick my a level options. I’ve decided on politics and English lit but need to pick a fourth one. I was thinking of economics or biology although biology doesn’t really fit in with the other choices. What would go well with these subjects?
Fourth before picking a third?

It doesn't matter if they "fit", if you enjoy them all and feel you can get good grades in biology over economics, go for it!
Cocoboots
Rep:
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)

It doesn't matter if they "fit", if you enjoy them all and feel you can get good grades in biology over economics, go for it!
Oops I meant third lol. Thanks for the advice
Last edited by Cocoboots; 1 month ago
anon_1202
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AmIReallyHere)

depends on what you want to study at uni (if you know yet). I think with the subjects you've picked, economics is a better fit than biology, but then again it depends
AmIReallyHere
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anon_1202)
depends on what you want to study at uni (if you know yet). I think with the subjects you've picked, economics is a better fit than biology, but then again it depends
Valid point however Biology keeps more doors open, you don't need Economics A-Level for a degree in it
thegeek888
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
How about French? German? Spanish? A language is seen as advantageous when applying for UCAS choices. Only 852 candidates nationally sat A-Level German?! lol French had just 5,000 or so candidates and Spanish had 9,000 or so candidates.

If you study a language, AQA is the most popular:

You do a Listening, Reading and Writing paper worth 50% your A-Level grade and it is 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Then you do a 2 hour exam with 2 essays on novels of your choice. But you're only expected to write about 300 words for each essay in the language.

Then there a 30% of your grade overall worth Speaking Oral component which also has a Individual Research Project. IRP of a topic of your choice.

But due to COVID LANGUAGE ORAL SPEAKING EXAMS HAVE BEEN CANCELLED. But might occur in 2022.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What are you wanting to do after you a-levels
Cocoboots
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
What are you wanting to do after you a-levels
I plan to go to uni. Perhaps a law degree
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Law doesn't usually have any specific subject requirements at a-level. Essay subjects can be useful though, so at least one would be good. For your 3rd, I'd pick whichever you think you will enjoy most and get the best grade in.
anon_1202
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
economics could be more useful for law in some aspects,especially for top unis I think, however taking biology would keep your options open in case you change your mind about what you want to study in uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (38)
6.51%
October 2021 (261)
44.69%
November 2021 (70)
11.99%
December 2021 (74)
12.67%
January 2021 (75)
12.84%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (47)
8.05%
Something else (19)
3.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise