Do you think I should write a letter to my old friends?

Watch
Lofinde00
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(I'm in Year 11 btw.) Before I left my old friend group, I didn't feel very included in my friend group. Everyone had similar hobbies compared to me and therefore they were (and still are) really close a friend group, whilst I felt like an outcast. It kinda felt a bit like they forgot like I existed sometimes (but tbh I'm an introvert and don't talk a lot so I can't really say anything). Another reason why I left the group, was because they have this friend that I really don't like. Back then, everytime I'd try to talk to my friends, he would always purposely interrupt and start talking to them randomly and take their full attention, so it felt like I couldn't even have a full conversation with anyone. And whenever he did something wrong or was rude, and I called him out, they would all start siding with him. One friend even said that because I always blanked him and didn't talk to him, I was just acting "harsh" towards him, when really, I just don't like him. Around June, I messaged one of my friends saying I didn't want to be friends with her and another friend anymore. We had a short convo and she said that my decision was sudden, that she still felt ' attached to me' (ngl that had me a bit moved) but she also said that she was sad that I decided to cut her and another friend off, but she respected my decision. She even offered that we could try again if I wanted to, but I just rejected since I was pretty fed up with the whole situation. At first I felt quite relieved and less burden, but as the months went past after June, I started to feel remorseful and now I feel like I half regret my decision. I want to write a letter to them (face to face would be too awkward) apologising for my impulsive decision and just to tell how much I cherished our friendship back then. I know I'm the one who cut them off randomly and put them through that, but I just want to write a genuine apology to them (theres obviously no going back to being friends though). Do you think I should apologise to them, or just suck it up since I'm the one who cut them off?
TriplexA
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lofinde00)
(I'm in Year 11 btw.) Before I left my old friend group, I didn't feel very included in my friend group. Everyone had similar hobbies compared to me and therefore they were (and still are) really close a friend group, whilst I felt like an outcast. It kinda felt a bit like they forgot like I existed sometimes (but tbh I'm an introvert and don't talk a lot so I can't really say anything). Another reason why I left the group, was because they have this friend that I really don't like. Back then, everytime I'd try to talk to my friends, he would always purposely interrupt and start talking to them randomly and take their full attention, so it felt like I couldn't even have a full conversation with anyone. And whenever he did something wrong or was rude, and I called him out, they would all start siding with him. One friend even said that because I always blanked him and didn't talk to him, I was just acting "harsh" towards him, when really, I just don't like him. Around June, I messaged one of my friends saying I didn't want to be friends with her and another friend anymore. We had a short convo and she said that my decision was sudden, that she still felt ' attached to me' (ngl that had me a bit moved) but she also said that she was sad that I decided to cut her and another friend off, but she respected my decision. She even offered that we could try again if I wanted to, but I just rejected since I was pretty fed up with the whole situation. At first I felt quite relieved and less burden, but as the months went past after June, I started to feel remorseful and now I feel like I half regret my decision. I want to write a letter to them (face to face would be too awkward) apologising for my impulsive decision and just to tell how much I cherished our friendship back then. I know I'm the one who cut them off randomly and put them through that, but I just want to write a genuine apology to them (theres obviously no going back to being friends though). Do you think I should apologise to them, or just suck it up since I'm the one who cut them off?
Hi there
I think you should write the letter. We're all human and make mistakes and now you and your friends are much older and more mature. Acknowledging you made a mistake is the first step to rebuilding your friendship. If it doesn't work out then just know that you gave saving your friendship a go so you don't have to regret it.

Best wishes.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No, I think that you made the right decision ending the friendship and cutting off contact.
I don't think that the way that you have described them all behaving towards you was particularly friendly.
Sounds like you are better off without them and their habit of constantly siding with the obnoxious guy that kept interfering in your conversations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (30)
7.04%
October 2021 (195)
45.77%
November 2021 (44)
10.33%
December 2021 (57)
13.38%
January 2021 (47)
11.03%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (39)
9.15%