The Student Room Group

How do you get better in english??

English is my weakest point.. well to be honest, i used to be good at it when i was in year 7 and 8 but now in yr 10 im at my worst :C. I think i mainly lost the skill during lockdown. I have no range of vocab and barely got an 8 in this persuasive writing assessment. Im literally hanging on by a thread for english. How do I boost my vocab and other skills?
My teacher does stress that reading alot helps however, I'm not into reading and i cant find the time for english anyway.
In all, im just bad at essay based subjects (RE too since its not optional
:C)
ONtop of this, i have to keep up with the other subjects that arent doing too well either...
Original post by nareony
barely got an 8 in this persuasive writing assessment.

Excuse me?
Original post by summerbirdreads
Excuse me?

lol these people...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sufys12
lol these people...

I genuinely thought OP was getting a 3 or a 5.
Reply 4
Excuse me?

look that was a one time thing, for the inspector calls PEA i got a 4 :') its partially because my teacher marks bad whereas we see some other kids in different classses get higher but then i get a 7/8 for the persuasive writing (1 mark off 8) thats what he wrote
Original post by nareony
English is my weakest point.. well to be honest, i used to be good at it when i was in year 7 and 8 but now in yr 10 im at my worst :C. I think i mainly lost the skill during lockdown. I have no range of vocab and barely got an 8 in this persuasive writing assessment. Im literally hanging on by a thread for english. How do I boost my vocab and other skills?
My teacher does stress that reading alot helps however, I'm not into reading and i cant find the time for english anyway.
In all, im just bad at essay based subjects (RE too since its not optional
:C)
ONtop of this, i have to keep up with the other subjects that arent doing too well either...

'No range of vocab'
'at my worst'
'lost the skill'
'bad at essay-based subjects'
'can't find the time for english'
'my weakest point'
Gets grade 8...

I genuinely thought OP was getting a 3 or a 5.

Yeah English is my weak point, I'm probably getting a 5/6(optimistic)...
I would take a grade 8 any day...
Reply 6
Original post by sufys12
'No range of vocab'
'at my worst'
'lost the skill'
'bad at essay-based subjects'
'can't find the time for english'
'my weakest point'
Gets grade 8...

he marks SO BAD THOUGH, if i get the assesment i'll take a photo and show you. he literally marked some of us down in the inspector calls PEA ( people who copied HIS opening paragraph and he corrected them saying the play started on some other year) also i got marked down forr writing the 'wrong 'quote when i looked in the book and it was right. he crossed out can't and instead wrote cannot :confused: id personally give my score a 6
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by nareony
he marks SO BAD THOUGH, if i get the assesment i'll take a photo and show you. he literally marked some of us down in the inspector calls PEA ( people who copied HIS opening paragraph and he corrected them saying the play started on some other year) also i got marked down forr writing the 'wrong 'quote when i looked in the book and it was right. he crossed out can't and instead wrote cannot :confused: id personally give my score a 6

You cannot call it a weak point if your teacher gives you an 8 (unless every other subject is a 9). Until you have results that suggest otherwise just assume this isn't a weak point and focus on other subjects. However based on your opening post you don't seem to have any weak points. I also assume you don't have the grade boundaries so you can't really rate your performance.
Original post by sufys12

Hated Eng too
Reply 9
Original post by sufys12
You cannot call it a weak point if your teacher gives you an 8 (unless every other subject is a 9). Until you have results that suggest otherwise just assume this isn't a weak point and focus on other subjects. However based on your opening post you don't seem to have any weak points. I also assume you don't have the grade boundaries so you can't really rate your performance.

are you talking about the gcse grade boundaries? because he marked them strictly on the gcse specification and also my predicted grade from last year was lower than an 8 i think . i think certain parts of english are not for me, but i got lucky with the persuasive one because other people got lower it honestly looked better than mine as theirs was more formal
Original post by nareony
are you talking about the gcse grade boundaries? because he marked them strictly on the gcse specification and also my predicted grade from last year was lower than an 8 i think . i think certain parts of english are not for me, but i got lucky with the persuasive one because other people got lower it honestly looked better than mine as theirs was more formal

Of course GCSE... Your predicted grade is irrelevant lol. Your achieved grade is what matters in the end. Formal=\=Better.

Quick Reply

Latest