The rocky road to 4 A*s - a stressed Y12 GYG

Watch this thread
Jail_break
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, to be honest, I never thought I'd do a GYG thread but I feel like I need to hold myself more accountable for the studying that I do. Also, they seem to be working for everyone so why not test it out?

I'll probably update this thread on a weekly basis, outlining everything academic I do this week so anyone else seeing this thread also gets a bit of motivation from this.

Disclaimer: (I am aiming for 4 A*s at the end of Y13, and As in Y12 with A* predictions for UCAS)

Any advice on this thread would be greatly appreciated - especially since "get 4A*s" seems to be a very challenging goal right now!

GCSEs:
Spoiler:
Show

Mathematics: 9
Combined Science: 8-8
Religious Studeies: 8
Spanish: 8
English Lit: 6
English language: 6
Computer Science: 6
Geography: 6

Not your average TSR grades but oh well

A-Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

For A-Levels I'm taking:
- Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Physics
- Chemistry

University aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

- Imperial College London - Design Engineering
- Bristol - Engineering Design
- Bath - Design Engineering w/ Year in Industry (idk i feel like taking a year to just apply all your knowledge in real scenarios seem cool)
- POsSiBlY CaMbRiDgE?!!?? - If i can step up my academic game

Goals and aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

- Establish a proper study routine to not fall behind
- Have a constant sleep routine (can't let that slip again)
- Be on top of my revision, notes and classwork
- Improve my problem-solving skills (I've heard about this quite alot)
- Work to the best of my ability throughout Y12 and Y13
- Somehow achieve 4A*s in my subjects (unless I drop chem lol, then it's 3A*s)
- Apply to all the relevant work experience programmes for maths/physics/engineering

Sorry for the short intro but I kinda like things short and concise tbh. Fingers crossed that I can come back to this thread in 2023 and say "I actually did it!"
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Jail_break)
Hi, to be honest, I never thought I'd do a GYG thread but I feel like I need to hold myself more accountable for the studying that I do. Also, they seem to be working for everyone so why not test it out?

I'll probably update this thread on a weekly basis, outlining everything academic I do this week so anyone else seeing this thread also gets a bit of motivation from this.

Disclaimer: (I am aiming for 4 A*s at the end of Y13, and As in Y12 with A* predictions for UCAS)

Any advice on this thread would be greatly appreciated - especially since "get 4A*s" seems to be a very challenging goal right now!

GCSEs:
Spoiler:
Show

A-Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

For A-Levels I'm taking:
- Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Physics
- Chemistry

University aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

- Bath - Design Engineering w/ Year in Industry (idk i feel like taking a year to just apply all your knowledge in real scenarios seem cool)

Goals and aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

- Apply to all the relevant work experience programmes for maths/physics/engineering

Sorry for the short intro but I kinda like things short and concise tbh. Fingers crossed that I can come back to this thread in 2023 and say "I actually did it!"
Congrats on such amazing GCSEs and I do admire your ambition! For chemistry A level ensure have well organised and concise notes and ensure you fully understand your notes/ the content. Once you have you can do past papers and I personally added a post it note with the mark scheme, to my notes, on a Q where I lost a significant number of marks. For chemistry practice is so important be it past papers or general topical Qs.

Best of luck with your studies
Last edited by TriplexA; 5 months ago
Jail_break
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Congrats on such amazing GCSEs and I do admire your ambition! For chemistry A level ensure have well organised and concise notes and ensure you fully understand your notes/ the content. Once you have you can do past papers and I personally added a post it note with the mark scheme, to my notes, on a Q where I lost a significant number of marks. For chemistry practice is so important be it past papers or general topical Qs.

Best of luck with your studies
Thank you very much for responding and for the advice - chemistry is the subject I struggle with most, so I'm planning on focusing most of my revision on that this half-term! I agree that past-papers are the best way to revise - I've started trying them and noticed the improvement in my class quizzes (although we don't have any assessments) - hopefully I can achieve an A/A* prediction by the end of the year!
Jail_break
Rep:
Since half-term has started for me, I'll create a revision timetable that actually works for half-term, and another for the school term. For now, I'm working on Isaac physics and and some holiday homework (which I aim to finish by the end of this week). I hope to complete the following for this half-term:

1. Holiday homework from all 4 of my subjects
2. Seneca lessons for the topics covered during the term
3. Flashcards for all the topics covered since September
4. Practice questions for Chemistry, Physics and Maths (in that order)
5. Some super-curricular exploration of engineering/maths/physics
6. (If possible), being at least a chapter ahead for chemistry and physics (no maths and further maths here, since it gets boring and I pay less attention if I already know the content before we cover it in class)
7. Obviously get 8 hours of sleep a day and relax for some days of the break

I realised that if I want A*s, then I shouldn't let this break go to waste - because whilst I'm not studying, others are studying twice as hard; and I'm determined to be the best in all my subjects!
Last edited by Jail_break; 4 months ago
sciencegcsesss
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hello - I’m a year 12 too! :-D just wanted to say good luck with your goals and that it’s nice to see another fellow yr 12 gyg.
Jail_break
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Since half-term has started for me, I'll create a revision timetable that actually works for half-term, and another for the school term. For now, I'm working on Isaac physics and and some holiday homework (which I aim to finish by the end of this week). I hope to complete the following for this half-term:

1. Holiday homework from all 4 of my subjects
2. Seneca lessons for the topics covered during the term
3. Flashcards for all the topics covered since September
4. Practice questions for Chemistry, Physics and Maths (in that order)
5. Some super-curricular exploration of engineering/maths/physics
6. (If possible), being at least a chapter ahead for chemistry and physics (no maths and further maths here, since it gets boring and I pay less attention if I already know the content before we cover it in class)
7. Obviously get 8 hours of sleep a day and relax for some days of the break

I realised that if I want A*s, then I shouldn't let this break go to waste - because whilst I'm not studying, others are studying twice as hard; and I'm determined to be the best in all my subjects!
Update: All my holiday homework was completed and I caught up with my flashcards for physics, further maths and maths. However, I let the notion of a holiday get to me and, as a result, completely disregarded chemistry. Luckily I'm now ahead by a few topics (in physics) and am now catching up with chemistry again. I also watched 2 lectures on engineering on YouTube and noted down what I learnt from them.

I have been using Isaac Physics when possible to stretch my problem-solving skills, once I've learnt the content for a particular topic and have made notes for it. This weekend/following week I aim to (in this order):
1. Complete some notes and summary questions for physics (from 11.1 to 11.3 waves) to be slightly ahead - I've noted that our physics teachers just assign us notes and summary questions for homework (so if i get it done now, when they assigns us homework, I can hand it in straight away).
2. Make flashcards from those physics notes in Anki.
3. Complete the notes and summary questions from Chapter 2 to Chapter 3, with practice questions included.
*For chemistry, we've covered chapters 2-8 and 11. But I never made notes, flashcards or did practice questions so I'll have to start from the beginning if I want to understand what's going on
4. Make flashcards out of those chemistry notes in Anki.
5. Complete any remaining subject homework.
6. Review all the flashcards I've made for all 4 subjects for 30minutes per subject.

EXTRA: Complete maths practice questions from chapter 3 and 4 AS Pure.
Catch up with chapter 4 and 5 of chemistry.
Start working through some Isaac Physics questions to prepare for the AS Senior Physics Challenge (online).

If anyone's wondering, I do Edexcel (for maths and further maths) and OCR A (for chemistry and physics), so if anyone does the same exam boards, the chapter referencing will make sense.

Edit: I had some work experience to do on Saturday, so couldn't get the work done as it occupied the whole day. However, I've completed points 1 and 2, and can hopefully complete 3, 4 and 5 on Monday. I will continue to update as I get through these 6 tasks this week.
Last edited by Jail_break; 4 months ago
Jail_break
Rep:
My first term didn't go too well (before making this GYG thread) - but to see if I've improved from making this, I'll note down the grades I got for the first term, and add to this post later on:

Spoiler:
Show
My report grades (for the first term, where A* was the highest grade you could get):

Maths - A
Further Maths - B
Chemistry - C
Physics - D

Reflections - For maths and further maths, I could have gotten 2 A*s if i didn't mess up on the last assessment before the report was made, but oh well. Hopefully I can get that in the next report if I step-up my work ethic and study smart. I wouldn't say it was due to my revision methods (as I had been getting the highest scores in my class and year group before), but because I spent more time focusing on maths challenges than actual A-Level content.
Spoiler:
Show
I did the UKMOG (got 1 mark off a merit certificate:banghead:), the Senior Maths Challenge (3 marks off a gold certificate ) and the Senior Kangaroo Challenge (which I absolutely flopped tbh). I never really considered myself good at maths, since I always got bronzes in these challenges before, but after noticing links between certain topics, things just clicked when I did those competition papers.
I knew I was never good enough for the UKMOG or senior kangaroo challenge; I just did them so that I could see all the maths I was missing out on, and expose myself to more advanced problems in maths.

My chemistry grade was what I expected, since I did no revision and just turned up for the tests without reviewing any content.

For physics, I was quite disappointed with my grade, as my silly mistakes alone caused me to lose out on 22 marks (out of 77 total):eek: in both assessments (e.g. I multiplied all my uncertainties by 2 because I thought +- 0.5 meant the total uncertainty was 1.0, and forgot to state the directions of current because I didn't read the question properly). It was a combination of not knowing the content and making silly mistakes that resulted in such a low grade, and something I am currently working to improve this year.
F.A.
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Goodluck with this I hope we all get the grades we want in the end
Jail_break
Rep:
(Original post by F.A.)
Goodluck with this I hope we all get the grades we want in the end
Thank you very much! Trying to stay motivated to get those A*s - after all, we'll get the grades we want if we work for them!
F.A.
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Thank you very much! Trying to stay motivated to get those A*s - after all, we'll get the grades we want if we work for them!
Ur welcome And exactly, couldn't have said it any better :>
Jail_break
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Haven't updated in weeks so I might as well do it now:

I've slowly been catching up with chemistry (finished chapter 2,3,4 and currently working on 5 today) and aim to complete chapters 5 and 6 today (maybe not the practice questions though, as I need to understand the content first before applying it). Since I have mocks this upcoming week, I'll have to focus more on maths and physics since I've got exams for those rn.

For maths, I aim to do some practice questions on the following topics: Vectors, Variable acceleration, Connected Particles, Circles, Logarithms, Exponentials, Pulleys, SUVAT, coding (in statistics).

For physics, I aim to do practice questions for the following topics: SUVAT, projectile motion, displacement-time and velocity-time and acceleration-time graphs, resolving vectors.
I also aim to consolidate my knowledge on: charge and current, electrical circuits, thermistors, resistors, I-V graphs

After I've caught up with all my subjects, I'll try to be some weeks ahead of the class so I can spend more time on engineering super-curriculars and problem-solving maths/physics/chemistry.
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

GCSEs:
Spoiler:
Show

A-Levels:
Spoiler:
Show

For A-Levels I'm taking:
- Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Physics
- Chemistry

University aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

Goals and aspirations:
Spoiler:
Show

Hi

I did Chem and Maths but I'm pretty sure my tips span most of A Level.

Revision comes in 2 parts

1. Learn the content. Learn from your textbooks and the spec. Any additional resources to help facilitate this learning should always be based on something from the spec, no point in being tangential
  2. Past papers, do them and do them again. Once you do a paper, learn the Mark Scheme of that paper as you will find patterns across subjects. Once you get 80% on a paper, you don't have to do it again. There are lots of other past papers and exam-style questions out there so you should never run out.
Best of luck
Jail_break
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by _Rusty_)
Hi

I did Chem and Maths but I'm pretty sure my tips span most of A Level.

Revision comes in 2 parts

1. Learn the content. Learn from your textbooks and the spec. Any additional resources to help facilitate this learning should always be based on something from the spec, no point in being tangential
  2. Past papers, do them and do them again. Once you do a paper, learn the Mark Scheme of that paper as you will find patterns across subjects. Once you get 80% on a paper, you don't have to do it again. There are lots of other past papers and exam-style questions out there so you should never run out.
Best of luck
Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to use it in my mocks - might be too late for the ones this week, but I'll see how it goes in my June mocks.
Jail_break
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Second term grades: Update

Spoiler:
Show
My report grades, where A was the highest grade achievable:
Maths - A
Physics - B
Further Maths - we didn't get any
Chemistry - U

Reflections: I'm glad to have maintained top grades for Maths, and improve my physics up by 2 grades. There's still a lot of work to do for those subjects, so I'm spending more time doing exam practice in advance for my mocks.

For chemistry, I was disappointed with the grade I got, but given my poor average marks across my exams and complete lack of revision, it was something to be expected. However, I put a lot of effort into my topic exam (right after those mocks) so I'll receive my marks for that soon.

Mock exams are in 2/3 months and those determine our UCAS predictions so I'm starting my revision for those right now! Any advice for coping with/preparing for them would be appreciated!
pigeonwarrior
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Heyyy good luck! I'm in Year 12 and doing Maths, Bio and Chem and am hoping for an A*A*A* prediction! Hopefully all of us get the grades we are aiming for!
Samavi16
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I m in the same boat it s my third attempt at Physics and fourth attempt at Maths. I m improving in Maths not in Physics. I don't know what I could do. I have a D in Business Studies.
Last edited by Samavi16; 2 months ago
Jail_break
Rep:
(Original post by Samavi16)
I m in the same boat it s my third attempt at Physics and fourth attempt at Maths. I m improving in Maths not in Physics. I don't know what I could do. I have a D in Business Studies.
For physics, it's more about understanding why things are the way they are then doing questions. I got a D throughout my first term but then I started to take physics seriously: participating in things like physics olympiads, extension clubs and coming in before my first lesson of the day to ask for help really helped me out - even if I don't understand half of what's going on, I still try and stretch my ability in any way. Try doing something similar with Business Studies and see how it goes!

Maths is not just practising imo, but also creating links between topics. I'm a firm believer that the difference between A and A* students (or those who are good at maths challenges like UKMT or not) is knowing how "seemingly distant" topics relate to each other (like partial fractions and logs, or unit circles and kinematics), and realising the most efficient method to solve problems.
Jail_break
Rep:
(Original post by pigeonwarrior)
Heyyy good luck! I'm in Year 12 and doing Maths, Bio and Chem and am hoping for an A*A*A* prediction! Hopefully all of us get the grades we are aiming for!
Yeah, I really want A*A*A*A* predictions, and then to achieve those grades to get into a good uni and have scholarships and stuff. It may be a bit of a stretch rn, but even being on this thread is a sign that you're actively looking to improve!
Samavi16
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
For physics, it's more about understanding why things are the way they are then doing questions. I got a D throughout my first term but then I started to take physics seriously: participating in things like physics olympiads, extension clubs and coming in before my first lesson of the day to ask for help really helped me out - even if I don't understand half of what's going on, I still try and stretch my ability in any way. Try doing something similar with Business Studies and see how it goes!

Maths is not just practising imo, but also creating links between topics. I'm a firm believer that the difference between A and A* students (or those who are good at maths challenges like UKMT or not) is knowing how "seemingly distant" topics relate to each other (like partial fractions and logs, or unit circles and kinematics), and realising the most efficient method to solve problems.
I want to do Engineering that s why Physics I m good at understanding but I can’t understand past papers which is where I m getting stuck
Jail_break
Rep:
(Original post by Samavi16)
I want to do Engineering that s why Physics I m good at understanding but I can’t understand past papers which is where I m getting stuck
Me too! Engineering's really cool, but all the universities I'm considering want at least an A in Physics, with my preferred ones possibly asking for an A*.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.11%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.35%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.19%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.35%

Watched Threads