Attendance and course worries

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have brought up some health issues today with my tutor, he is nice, however I am worried this might lead to me being investigated into whether or not I am fit to continue the course. My health isn't chronic however I have also not been attending many face to face lectures due to my issues and an worried he might see it like I'm not trying hard enough. I am getting on fine with the course and material and have no worries so far. What should I do now?
Anonymous #1
Seen this thread just got approved, wondering if anyone can help or give any advice? Much appreciated, thank you
Anonymous #1
Bump
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
1) Why would you not be fit to study? - I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia in my first year and had no formal intervention re: ability to study, though after each inpatient admission I had to be medically cleared by community mental health team, which was never an issue!
2) Check with uni re: attendance. For me personally, I had to keep an 80% attendance rate (even though the rest of the year had no formal requirement (mu uni were awful when it came to mental health
3) you are getting on fine with no worries, why would your uni think otherwise?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
1) Why would you not be fit to study? - I was diagnosed with Schizophrenia in my first year and had no formal intervention re: ability to study, though after each inpatient admission I had to be medically cleared by community mental health team, which was never an issue!
2) Check with uni re: attendance. For me personally, I had to keep an 80% attendance rate (even though the rest of the year had no formal requirement (mu uni were awful when it came to mental health
3) you are getting on fine with no worries, why would your uni think otherwise?
1,2) I'm glad to hear that you had no issues with that front, but they have no sort of limit on what attendance is too low for them to kick you out and they could do that anytime for us if they think it's an issue. They have said they monitor attendance and it's important for reassessment etc.

3) I have told them of my health and as a general point, my uni said that if they feel there's something that may hinder our progression of the course , they would need to investigate. I feel like they might see my health as one because I haven't been attending f2f lectures.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
1,2) I'm glad to hear that you had no issues with that front, but they have no sort of limit on what attendance is too low for them to kick you out and they could do that anytime for us if they think it's an issue. They have said they monitor attendance and it's important for reassessment etc.

3) I have told them of my health and as a general point, my uni said that if they feel there's something that may hinder our progression of the course , they would need to investigate. I feel like they might see my health as one because I haven't been attending f2f lectures.
do you have any support outside uni for MH stuff? Like GP or CMHT? they can help advocate for you should your uni raise any issues.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
do you have any support outside uni for MH stuff? Like GP or CMHT? they can help advocate for you should your uni raise any issues.
It is mental health but also physical health as well, I have a counselling service within the uni for MH but am relying on my hospital to seek me through the physical side.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Is your course related to health like nursing, anything that requires an occupational health screening?

In terms of attendance and engagement, if the university are aware of medical issues that may prevent your attendance, you should have adjustments made to accommodate that (e.g. by providing online resources).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Is your course related to health like nursing, anything that requires an occupational health screening?

In terms of attendance and engagement, if the university are aware of medical issues that may prevent your attendance, you should have adjustments made to accommodate that (e.g. by providing online resources).
Yes Exactly, and my tutor said they can't adjust things for me as of yet because the programme is set and material is available (except answers for whatever is f2f), and so far and I'm not having further issues, but my Attendance might have to be discussed. I'm having a meeting with him online tomorrow about this but I'm so anxious.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes Exactly, and my tutor said they can't adjust things for me as of yet because the programme is set and material is available (except answers for whatever is f2f), and so far and I'm not having further issues, but my Attendance might have to be discussed. I'm having a meeting with him online tomorrow about this but I'm so anxious.
Ah attendance is pretty strict on allied health courses, so if you aren't attending that will be a problem. You might have to speak with the occupational health team as well, if it's an illness that might be recurring.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
what happens if you have to do a health check as part of your university application (like if it is for nursing or teaching)?

If you have mental health issues then would you not be able to start the course?
What about if you get diagnosed after you start, would you be investigated and made to stop the course?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
what happens if you have to do a health check as part of your university application (like if it is for nursing or teaching)?

If you have mental health issues then would you not be able to start the course?
What about if you get diagnosed after you start, would you be investigated and made to stop the course?
It's rare to be completely prevented from studying a health course due to a medical condition, although of course it does depend on what your needs are and what adjustments are possible within different settings. The majority of the time, adjustments can be made for you, as long as you are honest and open with the occupational health team. It will be your responsibility to inform the team of any new diagnoses, whether or not you believe they will affect your ability to practise. They can then tell you whether it will be an issue or not.

For example, for my course I reported that I had asthma and an allergy to dogs and cats. I thought that the asthma would be their main concern, but actually they were most concerned about my allergy because I would be expected to do home visits on placements.
Anonymous #1
Ah attendance is pretty strict on allied health courses, so if you aren't attending that will be a problem. You might have to speak with the occupational health team as well, if it's an illness that might be recurring.
Ah yes this was my worry, I have assured my tutor that it is not chronic but I think because I've been experiencing feverish symptoms over the few weeks it's been hard to attend actually. I'm not quite sure how to bring this up further or what I need to prove to say I'm not putting my education / course at risk.
Anonymous #1
Completely agree what you have said, Also what you have mentioned here, I also have placements next term and I am dedicated to attend those no matter what because if I don't I will of course fail. Apart from doing a Lateral Flow test I didn't know if I am risk of being investigated for my competence. I may be over thinking this but it is a concern.
Anonymous #1
I thought that the asthma would be their main concern, but actually they were most concerned about my allergy because I would be expected to do home visits on placements.
Completely agree what you have said, Also what you have mentioned here, I also have placements next term and I am dedicated to attend those no matter what because if I don't I will of course fail. Apart from doing a Lateral Flow test I didn't know if I am risk of being investigated for my competence. I may be over thinking this but it is a concern.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ah yes this was my worry, I have assured my tutor that it is not chronic but I think because I've been experiencing feverish symptoms over the few weeks it's been hard to attend actually. I'm not quite sure how to bring this up further or what I need to prove to say I'm not putting my education / course at risk.
I can't advise you further as I'm not an occupational health assessor, and you haven't said what your condition is. Generally though, just be open with your university staff and placement staff about anything you need. If they have any doubts about your ability to do your placements, they'll tell you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.58%
Note taking apps (8)
2.11%
Flashcards (86)
22.69%
Revision guides (19)
5.01%
Past papers (173)
45.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (15)
3.96%

Watched Threads