_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I want to take physics, religious studies, psychology and core maths. Ik its all quite random but I enjoy and are quite good at these subjects. But I'm worried about the workload. Has anyone taken these subjects can tell me about the workload in general?

P.s I know y'all r gonna say "you need maths to do physics!" But my school says it's perfectly fine to do core maths along side
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
So I want to take physics, religious studies, psychology and core maths. Ik its all quite random but I enjoy and are quite good at these subjects. But I'm worried about the workload. Has anyone taken these subjects can tell me about the workload in general?

P.s I know y'all r gonna say "you need maths to do physics!" But my school says it's perfectly fine to do core maths along side
What are you wanting to do after a-levels?
Just check to see if whatever you want to do requires any specific subjects.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What do you want to do afterwards? Will those A levels allow it?

I mean, yes, you can do A level physics without A level maths, and if that's as far as you want to take it then doing core maths is ideal. But you almost certainly can't do a physics degree, or any of the other degrees requiring physics A level, without A level maths. If you really enjoy physics, be careful that you don't accidentally rule yourself out of being able to take it further.

Not sure why you're worried about the workload. Three A levels and one AS isn't unusually heavy, and you haven't picked any subjects with significant coursework.
Luca D
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nobody can really have a say in the workload because it's not about the amount of work you get given, it's about how you deal with it.
However, if you want a reference, I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and computer science and the workload for me personally is okay, but regardless of your a levels the workload is going to increase along with the depth of your subjects. I have friends doing Core maths and some doing RS and it doesn't seem too bad, but the main factor is if you're going to enjoy your subjects thoroughly. that will help motivate you with the large workload. personally, i'm just generally competitive anyway, which helps. Chemistry's my favourite subject right now, but it is also the second hardest (after further maths). This doesn't really bother me, as if you just enjoy the subject you'll naturally find things easier. However, if I swapped out Chemistry for History (which I hated) although its an easier subject, there is no way I'd deal with the workload for it.
(also core maths probably does work for physics but you definitely have to make sure your GCSE maths skills i.e. trig are top tier!)
_Robyn_
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
What are you wanting to do after a-levels?
Just check to see if whatever you want to do requires any specific subjects.
Idk what I wanna do. I just picked subjects I like and I'm good at
Honey57
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Robyn_)
Idk what I wanna do. I just picked subjects I like and I'm good at
You should try and keep your options open, if say you want to do a physics degree then you should do maths alevel. Search uni courses for example on Manchester’s website and try to see what you want to do and pick your alevels based on that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (63)
12.19%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.74%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (133)
25.73%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
8.32%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (251)
48.55%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.48%

Watched Threads