Partygate: Downing Street Christmas Parties

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
i am shocked that no pictures/videos and that have emerged from the ermm event :hmmmm2:
Presumably they were all told not to do that.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Crazed cat lady)
His statements are likely the product of his PR people brainstorming. There's been a consistent pattern with Johnson of being as slippery as possible in the hope that the shite does not stick but it is sticking and he is digging a bigger hole for himself.

The best PR approach would have been to hold his hands and apologise when the first allegations of lockdown impropriety emerged. As the more evasive he is, the more journalists dig for more dirt.
The general view (the Times commentary is good) is that this is lawyers' work. Even today the best PR solution would have been a proper mea culpa. It saved Clinton.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
There must be a good case for all the people fined during the lockdowns to get their money back. Is this the kind of thing a law firm could pursue as a class action?
No. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Don't be surprised though if in the next few days the Government decides to remit all lockdown fines.
Then all he has to do is raise the dead.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
The general view (the Times commentary is good) is that this is lawyers' work. Even today the best PR solution would have been a proper mea culpa. It saved Clinton.
Johnson isn't even a real politician in the professional sense. The Clintons were hard nosed tough operators. Johnson's more of a dilettante and doesn't really know how to run his own machine, retain loyalties or see enemies off properly.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
No. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Don't be surprised though if in the next few days the Government decides to remit all lockdown fines.
Then all he has to do is raise the dead.
I can imagine the defence for the party will basically be that the rules were too complicated and open to interpretation to rule out a work social in the garden. Given that's the line, it does seem hard to say the least to defend the fines they dished out willy nilly in equally ambiguous circumstances, when the police themselves were saying they often didn't understand the rules.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Resign in my books, this being the cherry on the cake of a terrible regime of serial rule breakers, crooks and morons who have only landed/kept their jobs due to tonguing his ass than anything else.

In of itself this incident might not be much but considering this is also when the government was presiding over countless deaths, separating families and so on it is truly galling that no one has been, or will be, held to account.
Crazed cat lady
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
It's happening again.

The Telegraph is reporting that parties were going on at Number 10 around the time of Prince Phillip's funeral.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...mourned-death/
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
It's happening again.

The Telegraph is reporting that parties were going on at Number 10 around the time of Prince Phillip's funeral.

Oh thats really going to endear that nasty little upstart to Her Majesty :lol:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
It's happening again.

Apparently the PM was away at Chequers at the time, huge relief, clearly that exonerates the halfwits who organised these parties from any reportage.
Crazed cat lady
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It's telling that they've now dropped the usual deny, deny, deny PR policy.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Yes, it's Phase 2 now - get lots of lower down the greasy pole officials to apologise, as if it was all their fault.
Talkative Toad
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Resign in my books, this being the cherry on the cake of a terrible regime of serial rule breakers, crooks and morons who have only landed/kept their jobs due to tonguing his ass than anything else.

In of itself this incident might not be much but considering this is also when the government was presiding over countless deaths, separating families and so on it is truly galling that no one has been, or will be, held to account.
nah he needs to be dismissed. Make him look like a bigger fool than he already is (the PM). #GetBoJoOut. Needs to face criminal charges and appear in court for his lies, manipulation and en masse damage throughout the pandemic and brexit. Only way forward (before anyone says i'm a tory hater, I would have said the same thing if a labour, green or lib dem PM had done same nonsense that BoJo has done). Don't know if he's the worst PM ever but definitely a contender.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Talkative Toad)
nah he needs to be dismissed. Make him look like a bigger fool than he already is (the PM). #GetBoJoOut. Needs to face criminal charges and appear in court for his lies, manipulation and en masse damage throughout the pandemic and brexit. Only way forward (before anyone says i'm a tory hater, I would have said the same thing if a labour, green or lib dem PM had done same nonsense that BoJo has done). Don't know if he's the worst PM ever but definitely a contender.
I don't understand why some people are using Partygate as a ploy to mask their anger about Brexit. Brexit happened, time to move on.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
It is difficult to deny when there seems to be a targeted attack from those who were insiders. We have Cummings and other agents “leaking” and revealing information. In hindsight, Cummings was right, Johnson had to clear out the traitors but it may be too late now.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)

I am not a tory nor do I like the Johnson Government but it seems some people have short memories and cannot remember how bad the pandemic worse at the peak. The Government’s policies, though unpopular, did service a key purpose and led to the current wins that the nation experiences with the vaccine.
nulli tertius
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I am not a tory nor do I like the Johnson Government but it seems some people have short memories and cannot remember how bad the pandemic worse at the peak. The Government’s policies, though unpopular, did service a key purpose and led to the current wins that the nation experiences with the vaccine.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
True but Churchill/Attlee was about the direction of the country. Johnson/Starmer is about boozy work events that happened months ago and being milked by Johnson’s foes. Today’s news is about Starmer also breaking Covid rules with an indoor drinks event.
Muttly
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Thank goodness there's no important news
Talkative Toad
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
I don't understand why some people are using Partygate as a ploy to mask their anger about Brexit. Brexit happened, time to move on.
No I'm saying that he's said lies throughout Brexit and COVID. not using partygate as an excuse been saying this for over a year now. Boris Johnson lies, pretty much every time he speaks (other than when it comes to the vaccine) got no confidence in him whatsoever and he's got to go as other users are saying. He could have been a non-tory, anti-brexit and whatnot would have said the same thing. Boris and Keir need to go.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttly)
Thank goodness there's no important news
Incase you missed it with this non-story:

1. Isolation rules have changed to 5 days
2. Prince Andrew loses his military patronage and titles. Calls for him to lose his Duke of York title.
3. Djokovic to be deported from Australia
4. Calls for Government to suspend or cancel National Insurance tax hike due to inflation issues
5. Energy firm E.On apologises for sending socks to customers
6. Energy bills are set to rise in April which could negatively impact poor families and destabilise many people’s finances.
7. Jacob Rees-Mogg called Douglas Ross, Scotland Tory Leader, a lightweight politician
8. US warns of potential Ukraine invasion by Russia.
9. UK-India trade talks begin which could be a boost for Global Britain
10. Tories interested in removing the BBC license fee structure and converting it to a subscription service model.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (36)
7.03%
October 2021 (229)
44.73%
November 2021 (62)
12.11%
December 2021 (65)
12.7%
January 2021 (62)
12.11%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (43)
8.4%