Considering a Law degree

Watch this thread
XJTheGreat
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am currently in year 13 and am at the stage of having to put in Uni applications through UCAS. I am in a bit of a dilemma however regarding what course to go for. I am doing three A-Levels: Law, Philosophy and Design. The problem arises from the fact that I have really enjoyed studying Law and also have a big interest in Design, now obviously these courses could not be more different and now I need to choose a path to go down, which I am struggling a bit with. Of course, I am aware that the courses will have completely different demands at degree level but I have been doing well recently with Law getting an A* in my last mock exam but I can't help but think that I would really struggle should I choose to continue further with Law, especially after reading and hearing about how intellectually demanding the course is (which it obviously has to be). I have also heard about how much reading is involved which is unfortunately not my strong suit and really struggle with the idea of having to read hundreds of pages on Law cases, outcomes etc. Whereas doing a degree in the design area would not be anywhere near as intellectually demanding as a Law degree but I am just not sure whether that should put me completely off the idea of doing a Law degree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if there are any current Law school students who could give their experiences/advice.
N1GHTSH4D3
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by XJTheGreat)
I am currently in year 13 and am at the stage of having to put in Uni applications through UCAS. I am in a bit of a dilemma however regarding what course to go for. I am doing three A-Levels: Law, Philosophy and Design. The problem arises from the fact that I have really enjoyed studying Law and also have a big interest in Design, now obviously these courses could not be more different and now I need to choose a path to go down, which I am struggling a bit with. Of course, I am aware that the courses will have completely different demands at degree level but I have been doing well recently with Law getting an A* in my last mock exam but I can't help but think that I would really struggle should I choose to continue further with Law, especially after reading and hearing about how intellectually demanding the course is (which it obviously has to be). I have also heard about how much reading is involved which is unfortunately not my strong suit and really struggle with the idea of having to read hundreds of pages on Law cases, outcomes etc. Whereas doing a degree in the design area would not be anywhere near as intellectually demanding as a Law degree but I am just not sure whether that should put me completely off the idea of doing a Law degree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially if there are any current Law school students who could give their experiences/advice.
Hi! I completely sympathise with your dilemma, I was stuck between pursuing a law degree or an English literature degree. I ended up going for the former even though the latter was my favourite subject and still a passion, but I do not regret my law degree at all. Admittedly it is very intellectually demanding especially if that is paired with an already demanding university. In my first year I struggled a lot but as time went on I learnt how to read the sheer overwhelming volume of cases or articles or other literature required at law and now it comes far more naturally to skim and get the useful information so reading is less of an issue and if that is your main concern I would assure you that you would get the hang of it in time and if you are interested in law you should definitely pursue it despite how hard it gets!
XJTheGreat
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by N1GHTSH4D3)
Hi! I completely sympathise with your dilemma, I was stuck between pursuing a law degree or an English literature degree. I ended up going for the former even though the latter was my favourite subject and still a passion, but I do not regret my law degree at all. Admittedly it is very intellectually demanding especially if that is paired with an already demanding university. In my first year I struggled a lot but as time went on I learnt how to read the sheer overwhelming volume of cases or articles or other literature required at law and now it comes far more naturally to skim and get the useful information so reading is less of an issue and if that is your main concern I would assure you that you would get the hang of it in time and if you are interested in law you should definitely pursue it despite how hard it gets!
Thanks so much for you response! I think the main issue with me is though I can never make my mind up and of course with Law and Design being literally completely different subjects/degrees I feel as if I am making a decision that will decide what route I will go down in my future career too (which is kind of the case) but the issue is that although I do enjoy Law and find it very interesting, I still feel as it is quite the leap of faith as there is not really any turning back whichever route I choose to go down. If you don't mind me asking what Uni did you do your Law degree at and what was the most difficult/tough aspect of doing a Law degree?
N1GHTSH4D3
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Thanks so much for you response! I think the main issue with me is though I can never make my mind up and of course with Law and Design being literally completely different subjects/degrees I feel as if I am making a decision that will decide what route I will go down in my future career too (which is kind of the case) but the issue is that although I do enjoy Law and find it very interesting, I still feel as it is quite the leap of faith as there is not really any turning back whichever route I choose to go down. If you don't mind me asking what Uni did you do your Law degree at and what was the most difficult/tough aspect of doing a Law degree?
I don't mind at all, feel free to ask anything! I am a second year law student at UCL. I can't lie it's a difficult degree, particularly the amount of content and how academically rigorous it is, it is very time consuming compared to friends doing different degrees, and the examination style, at least at my uni, is relatively strict and not as flexible as other unis that may not require academic commentary/research in timed summative exams but ours do so we have to do a lot of reading and research while learning the already heavy content to be prepared.
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi XJTheGreat

I am a current second year Law with Criminology LLB student. A law degree as you stated can be demanding and there is quite a lot of reading and independent work to be done. However, it is manageable and if you have an interest in law and want to go into the legal field then it's a great start to get a qualifying law degree. I do not regret choosing to do a law degree even though it is demanding it is rewarding.

I would recommend going on UCAS and looking at the different requirements for each degree and what is involved in these degrees e.g., modules, methods of assessment etc. I would also recommend going to some university open days if you have some universities in mind that you would possibly like to study at.

A gap year is also an option if you feel you can't make a decision before the next UCAS application deadline. I took a gap year for a similar reason to look into my options and decide which course to do and institution to go to.

Please let me know if you have any more queries or if you would like me to answer any specific questions on my experience etc.

Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Have you tried to get work experience in the big City of London Law firms yet? Because you'll gain a 'real' insight to your motivation and future career aspirations.

Here is a list of Law firms in London and some other national locations in the UK that offer work experience: https://primecommitment.co.uk

1. Addleshaw Goddard
2. Allen & Overy
3. Arnold & Porter
4. Ashurst
5. Baker McKenzie
6. Bird & Bird
7. Blake Morgan
8. BCLP
9. Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner
10. CMS UK
11. Clifford Chance
12. Clyde & Co
13. Cooley LLP
14. DLA Piper
15. DWF
16. Dentons
17. Eversheds Sutherland
18. Farrer & Co
19. Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
20. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher UK LLP
21. HFW
22. Harbottle Lewis
23. Herbert Smith Freehills
24. Hogan Lovells
25. Irwin Mitchell
26. Latham & Watkins
27. Lewis Silkin
28. Linklaters
29. Macfarlanes
30. Mayer Brown
31. Norton Rose Fulbright
32. Osborne Clarke
33. Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP
34. Pinsent Masons
35. Quadrant Chambers
36. Sharpe Pritchard
37. Shepherd and Wedderburn
38. Sidley Austin
39. Simmons Simmons
40. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
41. Slaughter and May
42. Stephenson Harwood
43. Taylor Wessing
44. Trowers & Hamlins
45. Weightmans
46. Weightmans LLP
47. Weil Gotshal Manges
48. White & Case
49. Withers
50. Womble Bond Dickinson

Good luck with your applications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (262)
42.6%
The paper was reasonable (256)
41.63%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.62%
It was TERRIBLE (44)
7.15%

Watched Threads