The Student Room Group

Plan B: New Covid Announcements 8th December

At 6pm today the Prime Minister announced new covid rules for England, including:

Work from home wherever possible

Face masks in theatres and cinemas

Covid pass mandatory in nightclubs and stadia

Vaccine or LFT test can be used for a covid pass

Gap between initial vaccines and booster jab has been reduced to 3 months

Daily tests instead of isolations

The Prime Minister commented that they will take steps to make sure that the "NHS is Ready". No news on what this is. These changes will come into force in 1 week's time. The Prime Minister reminded the public about the importance of vaccines (for covid-19 and flu) and the booster jabs that are now being considered in relation to their effectiveness against Omicron.

The main justification is that hospitalisations in South Africa have doubled within a week

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/59575030

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-boris-johnson-announces-plan-b-restrictions-to-combat-spread-of-omicron-variant-12490130

Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

Within this thread, there are a series of rules that all users must follow when posting:

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Honestly **** this stupid government, opposition and country.
Absolute shambles. Shutting up shop again for a variant that has as of yesterday hospitalised nobody.
Not a lot changing then. At this point the majority of people have a covid pass and for many WFH never stopped.
Brought forward to try and distract us from last December's parties. Other than for nightclubs and large venues, not a great inconvenience.
The Plan B being implemented seems to be the same as that proposed in September as a possibility.
Lockdown in January mark my words
Original post by Gillian My Heart

Monday 20th is my bet.
Original post by StriderHort
Monday 20th is my bet.

I reckon by 4th January
Monday 20th is my bet.

If skybet offered a price on that I’d be all over it.

They're already saying we're going to need a lockdown within 7 days else all **** will fall from the sky... I called it months back, new variant, new lockdown...

So much for vaccinating our way out of this pandemic... I'd say I'd be surprised if vaccine/booster uptake didn't drop massively with yet another lockdown because locking down after touting the vaccine as our way out comes across as saying the vaccine doesn't work... But honestly, I wouldn't because support seems to be soooo high for more restrictions... Probably all the loungeabouts hoping for another furlough scheme so they can get paid to sit on their arses all day again...

I guess we'll just have to see what happens over the coming days.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
They're already saying we're going to need a lockdown within 7 days else all **** will fall from the sky

They also said this was just going to be 3 weeks to flatten the curve, and that we could have 4000 deaths a day. Why the hell should we believe them now?
Spotless TSR community record.

Not banned.

I didn't tell the public we could have 4000 deaths a day unless we went into lockdown. I didn't tell people that restrictions would only last for 3 weeks to flatten the curve. I didn't tell people my workplace was completely overwhelmed while my colleagues and I pratted around like clowns on TikTok.
Original post by Megacent
Why should the public wear masks? Comical Chris himself told us not to wear them at the start of the pandemic.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-uk-news-professor-chris-whitty-no-masks-advice-a9374086.html

Yes I know he says we should wear them now but that's not what he was saying back then. He has said that we shouldn't wear masks but also that we should. It clearly can't be both, so which is it?

The message coming from the Government has always been do this but don't do this 😂

Need I remind you of the lockdown announcement?

Graduation cancelled again this time with 3 weeks notice. Thanks Boris :yy:
Original post by CoolCavy
Graduation cancelled again this time with 3 weeks notice. Thanks Boris :yy:

Blame the scientists. Boris might be officially in charge, but he's relying heavily on the advice he gets from the likes of Comical Chris and Neil Ferguson. And if they present him with a load of fearmongering about hospitals being overwhelmed unless he does what they ask, do you think Boris will dare to go against the "experts"?

I personally think these scientists are drunk on power and are trying to prolong this as long as they can. What happened to going back to normal after 3 weeks to flatten the curve, or back to normal once the elderly and vulnerable have been jabbed? The goalposts always move, they always want more. I truly don't think anything will ever be enough for these people, there's always another excuse. We need to say enough is enough, these scientists have NO right to play god with our lives, and as much as it may surprise them there is more to life than bloody covid! We've wasted 2 years of our lives, most people have antibodies now whether through immunity or infection. Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one. If we don't go back to normal now, then when exactly?
Original post by CoolCavy
I'm really not in the mood for one of your copy and paste soapbox posts.

Don't read it then.
Blame the scientists. Boris might be officially in charge, but he's relying heavily on the advice he gets from the likes of Comical Chris and Neil Ferguson. And if they present him with a load of fearmongering about hospitals being overwhelmed unless he does what they ask, do you think Boris will dare to go against the "experts"?

I personally think these scientists are drunk on power and are trying to prolong this as long as they can. What happened to going back to normal after 3 weeks to flatten the curve, or back to normal once the elderly and vulnerable have been jabbed? The goalposts always move, they always want more. I truly don't think anything will ever be enough for these people, there's always another excuse. We need to say enough is enough, these scientists have NO right to play god with our lives, and as much as it may surprise them there is more to life than bloody covid! We've wasted 2 years of our lives, most people have antibodies now whether through immunity or infection. Everyone who wants a vaccine can get one. If we don't go back to normal now, then when exactly?

Chris Whitty is such a div man
Chris Whitty is such a div man

I don't know if he's actually "nasty" or if he's just so obsessed with covid he can't see the harm to society that his advice to the government is causing. None of these scientists had to go through lockdown on minimum wage furlough, in cramped council housing with kids. They weren't the ones losing their hospitality business. They're happy to advocate for all these restrictions but it's not them who feel the brunt of it. Maybe Whitty is just a man honestly doing what he thinks is best, but in my view he's completely lost perspective. When was the last time you heard him talk about ANYTHING apart from covid in the last two years? He does talk about mental health but it's quite rare comparatively.
I don't know if he's actually "nasty" or if he's just so obsessed with covid he can't see the harm to society that his advice to the government is causing. None of these scientists had to go through lockdown on minimum wage furlough, in cramped council housing with kids. They weren't the ones losing their hospitality business. They're happy to advocate for all these restrictions but it's not them who feel the brunt of it. Maybe Whitty is just a man honestly doing what he thinks is best, but in my view he's completely lost perspective. When was the last time you heard him talk about ANYTHING apart from covid in the last two years? He does talk about mental health but it's quite rare comparatively.

It isn't his job to have perspective. It is his job to offer medical advice to the Government and if the Government wants him to share that advice with the public, that is the Government's call.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending