Model answer a level relgious studies

Watch this thread
////////////
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello i do a level relgious studies and i am struggling to learn how to evulate my teacher has kindly given me a model answer but i am struggling to understand where the evulation is can anybody please show me where he has evulated

“Situation Ethics fails to be a valuable method for ethical decisions making” Evaluate
this statement (15 marks)

Situation ethics certainly has significant weaknesses that undermine the value of the
theory; its individualistic stance, rejection of the importance of deontology in
christianity and the fact that it relies far too heavily on the extreme all make this theory
unrealistic and inadequate. Although it's easy to follow and works for some people, it's
not a valuable method for decision making whatsoever.
The subjectivity around the principles of situation ethics is a significant drawback to the
theory because it undermines and succeeds in philosophy. According to catholics, the
theory is not valuable whatsoever because it does not align completely with christian
teaching; as Pope Pius XIII brought to light, people can't always make an informed
decision about what the most loving thing is if they don't have all the facts which most
everyday situations don't allow. Although there's some subjectivity behind the theory
it's arguably easy to follow as Fletcher presents one main principle to follow, remember
and apply, unlike other forms of ethical decision making. However, due to the
individuality of it, it is incredibly indefinite and weak as different people have varying
ideas of what the most loving thing is; thus the decisions are affected. Therefore, this
means that situation ethics is not at all a valuable method for ethical decision making.
Moreover, situation ethics also fails heavily by the way it foolishly ignores the
importance of deontology within christianity. It goes against scripture as St Paul
instructed christians to show love through obeying the law; and the commandments
that can be summed up into one rule ‘love your neighbour as yourself’ emphasise that
love is the fulfilment of the law. This means that the theory does not fit fully with
christian teaching which should be recognised as a major weakness as the very purpose
of the ethical method is to lure people back to christian morals and the bible. Despite
this, it manages to unite people moving away from the church - leading people back to
christianity so it somehow worked. However, due to the fact that it doesn't truly
encompass christian teaching, situation ethics is not a reliable philosophy as it
undermines the very thing it's based on. Therefore, this means that situation ethics is
not at all a valuable method for ethical decision making.
In addition, Fletcher arguably relies too much on the extreme; as presented by William
Barclay. Situation ethics is shown to work in life or death situations but not in everyday
life. It's also far too vague, as humans have a ‘terrifying freedom’ to act in any way they

please; it's certainly not a strong theory; people naturally do what is best for themselves
rather than what's good for people in general. This means that the theory is incredibly
unrealistic and would be practically useless in everyday life, thus the theory fails in its
purpose. Despite this, it has strength in the way that it counteracts problems caused by
rigidly following laws - it puts people first. However, we cannot ignore that situation
ethics are far too impractical to be taken seriously and would not feasible work in day
to day life. Therefore, this means that the theory is not at all a valuable method for
ethical decision making.
Consequently, this is evidently a weak theory as not only does it undermine the christian
scripture that its based on, it's also unrealistic and unreliable which makes it essentially
worthless in the real world which fundamentally is where it matters.
Last edited by ////////////; 5 months ago
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Evaluation is when you consider criticisms, defences against criticisms, and give your judgement as to whether the criticism or defence is successful and why.
////////////
Rep:
(Original post by Joe312)
Evaluation is when you consider criticisms, defences against criticisms, and give your judgement as to whether the criticism or defence is successful and why.
im sorry i still dont quite follow
Joe312
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Consider this part of the essay:

situation ethics also fails heavily by the way it foolishly ignores the
importance of deontology within christianity. It goes against scripture as St Paul
instructed christians to show love through obeying the law; and the commandments
that can be summed up into one rule ‘love your neighbour as yourself’ emphasise that
love is the fulfilment of the law. This means that the theory does not fit fully with
christian teaching which should be recognised as a major weakness as the very purpose
of the ethical method is to lure people back to christian morals and the bible. Despite
this, it manages to unite people moving away from the church - leading people back to
christianity so it somehow worked. However, due to the fact that it doesn't truly
encompass christian teaching, situation ethics is not a reliable philosophy as it
undermines the very thing it's based on. Therefore, this means that situation ethics is
not at all a valuable method for ethical decision making.

It first criticises situation ethics: the criticism is that it ignores most of the law/commands in the Bible.

However then a defence of situation ethics is made: that it unites people moving away from the church, leading people back to Christianity.

Then a final judgement is made, that 'However, due to the fact that it doesn't truly encompass christian teaching, situation ethics is not a reliable philosophy as it undermines the very thing it's based on."

And then it links back to the question:

Therefore, this means that situation ethics is not at all a valuable method for ethical decision making."

Honestly this essay your teacher gave you isn't perfect.... it's not a particularly interesting nor relevant defence that situation ethics has persuaded some people to come back to the church - how does that shed light on whether it is a valuable source of decision making..?

Also fletcher thinks that by undermining traditional legalistic christian ethics he is actually improving and getting closer to the heart of what Christianity really is and should be - especially for humanity in its modern state 'come of age' - so saying that he undermines the very thing his ethics is based on is not a great criticism since it doesn't engage with Fletcher's approach - it's just the one-sided perspective on Fletcher a traditional Christian would have.
Last edited by Joe312; 5 months ago
////////////
Rep:
i see this makes a lot more sense how thanks for the heds up this essay isnt perfect..... it was given 15/15 what would you give it
Joe312
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ////////////)
i see this makes a lot more sense how thanks for the heds up this essay isnt perfect..... it was given 15/15 what would you give it
Probably 13/15
////////////
Rep:
i

(Original post by Joe312)
Thanks for your help i think i get it do you mind if i evaluate a point to show you if i have gotten the evulation this can also help others who come across this post who are struggling
Joe312
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ////////////)
i

Thanks for your help i think i get it do you mind if i evaluate a point to show you if i have gotten the evulation this can also help others who come across this post who are struggling
Yep go ahead!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.07%
The paper was reasonable (137)
37.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.43%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.17%

Watched Threads