The Student Room Group

Any astrophysicist a level

Any astrophysicist students that can help please message me or in chat thanks
I took Phys/Math/Bio. You don't need FMaths or anything fancy like that unless you hope to go to Oxbridge or anything fancy like that (I reckon) and the guy in my class at the time who did didn't have FMaths.

FYI I picked Edinburgh- £7,250 bursary is hard to beat :biggrin:
Original post by Callicious
I took Phys/Math/Bio. You don't need FMaths or anything fancy like that unless you hope to go to Oxbridge or anything fancy like that (I reckon) and the guy in my class at the time who did didn't have FMaths.

FYI I picked Edinburgh- £7,250 bursary is hard to beat :biggrin:

It's so important that you said "anything fancy like that" twice in one sentence
(edited 2 years ago)
A-level Further Maths would be the most useful A-level outside of the required A-level Maths and Physics, for when you are actually on the degree, although as above it's not strictly required at the vast majority of universities.

Chemistry has a small number of topics that may be relevant in a physics degree I've been told by a physicist friend of mine. Also for astrophysics specifically it may have some more relevance in terms of cosmochemistry or planetary science topics. Again though, not required.
Original post by hungrysalamander
It's so important that you said "anything fancy like that twice" in one sentence

Anything fancy like that ain't worth mentioning twice after all- I am but a simple man, not got time for anything fancy like that.
Original post by artful_lounger
A-level Further Maths would be the most useful A-level outside of the required A-level Maths and Physics, for when you are actually on the degree, although as above it's not strictly required at the vast majority of universities.

Chemistry has a small number of topics that may be relevant in a physics degree I've been told by a physicist friend of mine. Also for astrophysics specifically it may have some more relevance in terms of cosmochemistry or planetary science topics. Again though, not required.

+1 to that. We had an astrobiology course in 1st year (optional mind you) and knowing some chemistry would have came in handy, though I was able to make up the ground since it was just A-Level chem and mostly about reactions and the energy/charge generation rules- nothing fancy.
Further to the above comments...
I studied Physics with Astrophysics, though quite a long time ago. :wink: (To put it in context, we still believed the (flat) Earth was the centre of the universe back then, and that the Moon was propelled by angels on it's path around the earth.)

Seriously though....
I don't know what physics you will have covered at A-Level as syllabuses change and vary, but some things which will be useful are:
* Geometrical Optics (lenses and lens combinations - if you do any observational astronomy/theory)
* Physical Optics (interference fringes etc if you study radio astronomy)
* make sure you are clear on gravitation and orbital mechanics, including circular/elliptical motion, Kepler's laws etc.

I'm sure what most will cover at A-Level physics will be sufficient, but these were some of the things I remember popping up.
Astrophysics can encompass a lot of different things - I went on to study radio astronomy and found myself fiddling around with electronics/amplifiers and data processing software creation.
You will enjoy the journey. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest