This discussion is closed.
Capt Tazman
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hello,

Anyone on T171 this year? How's it going? I've just finished "A Brief History" and am glad.

Any thoughts?

Regards, Paul Talik
Ann Other
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi Taz I'm on T171 too. I'm still working on tma03, and finding it hard going because I really don't
understand all the protocols. Still, I think it is probably easy compared with the next part, ;-)
Regards C "Capt TazMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hello,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Anyone on T171 this year? How's it going? I've just finished "A Brief History" and am glad.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Any thoughts?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Regards, Paul Talik[/q1]
Capt Tazman
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Yes, it is quite hard and from what I understand it does get progressively more difficult as we go
through the course. I haven't started TMA03 yet as I've been finishing off the reading. :-s It's
hard work Good luck!

Regards, Capt TazMan

"Ann Other" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> Hi Taz I'm on T171 too. I'm still working on tma03, and finding it hard going because I really[/q1]
[q1]> don't understand all the protocols. Still, I think it is probably easy compared with the next[/q1]
[q1]> part, ;-) Regards C "Capt TazMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message[/q1]
[q1]> news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Hello,[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Anyone on T171 this year? How's it going? I've just finished "A Brief History" and am glad.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Any thoughts?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Regards, Paul Talik[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
Mark Hill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:44:42 +0100, Capt TazMan <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]> Hello,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Anyone on T171 this year? How's it going? I've just finished "A Brief History" and am glad.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

It's an okay course, but I'll be glad when it's over. I'm sort of fed up of the stuff we're
learning. There's only so much I want to know abut the inventors of the internet, and the courses
doesn't go in to the technical stuff enough for my own tastes. Still, it's been nice to learn a bit
about the TCP/IP stack. I always thought it was like a programming stack.

Regards.

--
Mark Hill
Steven
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I quite agree with you Mark its an ok course but it is not as exciting as I expected and or tutor
has kind of disappeared for the last 2 months apart from the odd comment.

Not sure about next year m206 or T223 & MT262 together? what are you doing?

Steve

"Mark Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:44:42 +0100, Capt TazMan <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > Hello,[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Anyone on T171 this year? How's it going? I've just finished "A Brief History" and am glad.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It's an okay course, but I'll be glad when it's over. I'm sort of fed up of the stuff we're[/q1]
[q1]> learning. There's only so much I want to know abut the inventors of the internet, and the courses[/q1]
[q1]> doesn't go in to the technical stuff enough for my own tastes. Still, it's been nice to learn a[/q1]
[q1]> bit about the TCP/IP stack. I always thought it was like a programming stack.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Regards.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Mark Hill[/q1]
Mark Hill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:20:42 +0100, Steven
<[email protected] > wrote:
[q1]> I quite agree with you Mark its an ok course but it is not as exciting as I expected and or tutor[/q1]
[q1]> has kind of disappeared for the last 2 months apart from the odd comment.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Not sure about next year m206 or T223 & MT262 together? what are you doing?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Steve[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Hi Steve, In my case it has been the students who have disapeared, while the poor tutor doesn't know
what to do about it. I'm currently doing T223 and that's great, but hard work. It's a good course
tho and very in-depth. I plan to do M206 next year along with something else. Is the MT262 course
the 'maths with computers' course? I tend to steer clear of math courses as that's not my strongest
subject. (As my bank manager will tell you).

Regards.
--
Mark Hill
Five Cats
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In article <[email protected] tantturtle>, Mark Hill <[email protected]> writes
[q1]> On Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:20:42 +0100, Steven[/q1]
[q1]> <[email protected] > wrote:[/q1]
[q2]>> I quite agree with you Mark its an ok course but it is not as exciting as I expected and or tutor[/q2]
[q2]>> has kind of disappeared for the last 2 months apart from the odd comment.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Not sure about next year m206 or T223 & MT262 together? what are you doing?[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Steve[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>Hi Steve, In my case it has been the students who have disapeared, while the poor tutor doesn't[/q1]
[q1]>know what to do about it. I'm currently doing T223 and that's great, but hard work. It's a good[/q1]
[q1]>course tho and very in-depth. I plan to do M206 next year along with something else. Is the MT262[/q1]
[q1]>course the 'maths with computers' course? I tend to steer clear of math courses as that's not my[/q1]
[q1]>strongest subject. (As my bank manager will tell you).[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
MT262 is C++ programming and almost nothing else. It's a fun course.

However if you are finding T223 hard work you will probably find M206 even harder work, as it's
another level 2 course but worth 60 points instead of the 30 you are getting for T223.

If you have a strong programming background you shouldn't have problems doing M206 *and* MT262 in
the same year, but if you don't have a programming background I would advise against it.
[q1]>Regards.[/q1]

--
Five Cats
Capt Tazman
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. Yes you're right it is a bit on the dry side. I must admit that I've been in
IT for just over 10 years or so and find that the most challenging part of the course is the TMA's
themselves. Although our tutor is doing a great job and communicates quite a bit with us. We've
recently done an exercise that didn't go so well as only a few students actually contributed.
However the students that did contribute did a great job and their contribution made for a
worthwhile activity.

Regards, Capt TazMan

"Mark Hill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[q1]> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 22:44:42 +0100, Capt TazMan <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]> > Hello,[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> It's an okay course, but I'll be glad when it's over. I'm sort of fed up of the stuff we're[/q1]
[q1]> learning. There's only so much I want to know abut the inventors of the internet, and the courses[/q1]
[q1]> doesn't go in to the technical stuff enough for my own tastes. Still, it's been nice to learn a[/q1]
[q1]> bit about the TCP/IP stack. I always thought it was like a programming stack.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Regards.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> --[/q1]
[q1]> Mark Hill[/q1]
Mark Hill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:21:29 +0100, Capt TazMan <[email protected]> wrote: ...
[q1]> We've recently done an exercise that didn't go so well as only a few students actually[/q1]
[q1]> contributed.[/q1]

Was that an execise on open/closed protocols by any chance? Our group never quiet finished
that exercise.

I'm starting to get in to TMA03 now. It doesn't seem too difficult to answer, but there's 70 points
riding on question one, which is a bit worrying.

Regards,

--
Mark Hill
Mark Hill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:28:10 +0100, Five Cats <[email protected]> wrote: ...
[q1]> However if you are finding T223 hard work you will probably find M206 even harder work, as it's[/q1]
[q1]> another level 2 course but worth 60 points instead of the 30 you are getting for T223.[/q1]

Noted. Looks like next year's going to be fun. :\

[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> If you have a strong programming background you shouldn't have problems doing M206 *and* MT262 in[/q1]
[q1]> the same year, but if you don't have a programming background I would advise against it.[/q1]

Perhaps M206 on it's own will be enough for me.

--
Mark Hill
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (96)
27.2%
No (257)
72.8%

Watched Threads