The Student Room Group

Philosophy and Ethics 15 Mark Question

I'm writing an A-Level Philosophy answer right now and I'm not sure about how to structure it. The question is "Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the cosmological argument for proving Gods existence" (15 marks)

Could anybody give me any guidance on how to start it please? For example at GCSE RE I would say "Some Christians would agree with this statement because..." etc but I feel as if that doesn't work here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by user47920
With a 15 marker in RS, we have been taught the following structure:

Intro - what is the question about? State what the cosmological argument is, who came up with it etc.
then, briefly outline which side you are going to argue for

Paragraph 1
Argument - 2 or 3 sentences explaining your argument & why it is strong
Counter argument - something that could attack your initial argument
Counter-counter argument - why is the counter argument weak?

Paragraph 2
Repeat same structure for para 1

Super argument
A final argument that supports your viewpoint & has no weaknesses

Conclusion
Summarise the points you made & your overall opinion

Hope this helps :smile:

I would just repeat paragraph 1 for all three paragraphs honestly.. there are no arguments which have no counter-arguments! It's better to consider a counter-argument and then undermine it rather than just present an argument as if it had no counters when every argument does.

Also there's no reason why you would have to start a paragraph with an argument you agree with.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe312
I would just repeat paragraph 1 for all three paragraphs honestly.. there are no arguments which have no counter-arguments! It's better to consider a counter-argument and then undermine it rather than just present an argument as if it had no counters when every argument does.

Also there's no reason why you would have to start a paragraph with an argument you agree with.

Thank you! It went well in the end. Sorry i replied to this late (:

Quick Reply

Latest