The Student Room Group

Feel hungry all the time

I’ve been in a calorie deficit for a while eating around 1600 but recently I’ve been feeling so hungry and even after I’ve eaten, I still feel hungry
I end up eating crisps chocolate on top of what I already eat and I’ve gained 2kg
I went from 85kg to 76kg and felt like I was doing so well and now i don’t know what’s wrong with
I exercise when I can and do 20 minutes of skipping and then a 10 min ab workout but I feel so hungry
Is there something I’m doing wrong or am I restricting myself too much or too little?
I’m 5’6
Reply 1
Consult your GP and then a nutritionist/dietician depending on what the GP said.

Ultimately based on what you have said I don't think anyone can give you a proper answer.

However if it's not a medical issue then....you say you are in a calorie deficit with 1600. That should roughly mean if you eat 2100 calories a day you'll maintain your weight (age/sex may change that). If your maintanence weight is higher than 2100 then you're not eating enough probably. How long did it take you to lose those 9kg? It should have taken longer than 9 weeks. Generally speaking if you lost it quicker than that then you may be risking your health, it's also not sustainable. Remember, if you're on a deficit, by it's very nature, you should be hungry. If I've got that wrong then up your calories by 250. You will still lose weight, at a slower rate, but may feel less hungry.

The type of food you eat also matters. 1600 calories is around 7 mars bar. If that is all you have all day you will be starving. A good balance of protein, fat, fibre and carbs. If you don't already have a healthy diet then it may take a while for your body to get used to it and feel hungry.

Instead of crisps , keep some chopped celery/carrots etc and some low fat fromage frais or something around to dip them in when you get hungry.
Reply 2
Another thing, you say you've been on a deficit for a while. Maybe switching to a maintenance plan for a while would help, or even a bulk (strength) phase. There's nothing wrong with gaining a bit of weight healthily for a while. Then you can lose it again healthily at a later stage.
Reply 3
Original post by Mburn
Consult your GP and then a nutritionist/dietician depending on what the GP said.

Ultimately based on what you have said I don't think anyone can give you a proper answer.

However if it's not a medical issue then....you say you are in a calorie deficit with 1600. That should roughly mean if you eat 2100 calories a day you'll maintain your weight (age/sex may change that). If your maintanence weight is higher than 2100 then you're not eating enough probably. How long did it take you to lose those 9kg? It should have taken longer than 9 weeks. Generally speaking if you lost it quicker than that then you may be risking your health, it's also not sustainable. Remember, if you're on a deficit, by it's very nature, you should be hungry. If I've got that wrong then up your calories by 250. You will still lose weight, at a slower rate, but may feel less hungry.

The type of food you eat also matters. 1600 calories is around 7 mars bar. If that is all you have all day you will be starving. A good balance of protein, fat, fibre and carbs. If you don't already have a healthy diet then it may take a while for your body to get used to it and feel hungry.

Instead of crisps , keep some chopped celery/carrots etc and some low fat fromage frais or something around to dip them in when you get hungry.

It took me a long while to lose any weight
I started exercising and eating in a calorie deficit September 2020 and began to record what I ate and started to exercise
It took me ages to progress but now I’m gaining it
I feel like I lost the weight in a healthy way but nowadays I feel so hungry that I try not to eat to much but can’t help it
Normally I’ll have toast with chocolate spread (I know it’s terrible) then for lunch a homemade curry or lentils with spinach cucumber peppers and chipati and then in the evening I have either salmon and veg or a jacket potato and veg
But then I end up having crisps chocolates yoghurts too so end up having more carbs and sugar than I should even if it’s below my maintenance calories
Reply 4
Original post by Mburn
Another thing, you say you've been on a deficit for a while. Maybe switching to a maintenance plan for a while would help, or even a bulk (strength) phase. There's nothing wrong with gaining a bit of weight healthily for a while. Then you can lose it again healthily at a later stage.

The thing is, i end up gaining weight around my stomach which isn’t healthy at all
And I know it’s bad but I don’t want people to point out my weight gain either
Because of university too I’d end up not eating for a whole day until I get home and eat the 1600 calories or what I have left o and I end up having a bad stomach from that too
Reply 5
Yeah it's tricky. Consistency is the key. Maybe look at speaking with a nutritionist.

I found stopping having 3 meals a day (and sometimes only 1 or 2) and replacing them with 5 smaller meals throughout the day helped me. But ultimately its what works for you.

Maybe try strength training instead of cardio for a bit. You would have to eat more but it burns more calories quicker than cardio.
Reply 6
Original post by Mburn
Yeah it's tricky. Consistency is the key. Maybe look at speaking with a nutritionist.

I found stopping having 3 meals a day (and sometimes only 1 or 2) and replacing them with 5 smaller meals throughout the day helped me. But ultimately its what works for you.

Maybe try strength training instead of cardio for a bit. You would have to eat more but it burns more calories quicker than cardio.

What kind of meals could I have if it was 5 smaller meals
I feel like the calorie deficit was helping because it made sure that I included enough protein in my diet and helped with portion control but now i just feel hungry all the time
Today I ended up eating 1900 calories and feel much better but my stomach is now bloated and will probably gain weight
What kind of strength training could I do at home
Reply 7
The exact same as you would eat anyway just smaller portions spread throughout the day.

If at home then basic calisthenics will be fine if you don't have weights etc. You can find loads of free resources online. Focus on bodyweight resistance stuff like push ups, pull ups, squats, dips, crunches. The great thing about them is that you can get variations from the classical style to make them easier/harder depending on your level without the need to get weights. Do that 3 times a week at first and them maybe add a cardio day or two in. You will need to eat a nice amount of protein though.

Remember progress isn't instant. Take measurements of your body, keep a log and give it a month. See how you feel.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Or make sure its breakfast / snack / lunch / snack / dinner at the least (and the snacks can be fruit/nuts or something)

Quick Reply

Latest