tinyturtle319
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
does anyone know if i study (physics with) space science at uni, could i then go on to doing astronomy in the future?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Yes, astronomy is a subfield of astrophysics, which is a subfield of physics. Most astrophysicists would've just done a physics degree at undergrad - they might have taken more options in astrophysics related topics though, and may have engaged in observational astronomy activities outside of their degree (or possibly within it if they/their uni has access to e.g. a radio telescope that can collect astrophysical data).
tinyturtle319
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes, astronomy is a subfield of astrophysics, which is a subfield of physics. Most astrophysicists would've just done a physics degree at undergrad - they might have taken more options in astrophysics related topics though, and may have engaged in observational astronomy activities outside of their degree (or possibly within it if they/their uni has access to e.g. a radio telescope that can collect astrophysical data).
oh i see, that's interesting. thank you!
also, i'm planning to take a mphys course at uni. from what you've just said, i presume it's still alright to "move from" space science to astronomy?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tinyturtle319)
oh i see, that's interesting. thank you!
also, i'm planning to take a mphys course at uni. from what you've just said, i presume it's still alright to "move from" space science to astronomy?
Yes, as long as you're doing a physics degree you'll have the requisite background. Bear in mind astronomy as done by physicists isn't normally optical astronomy but using e.g. radio telescopes, X-Ray telescopes (in space) etc. The visible range of the EM spectrum is after all a fairly small section of the full range of EM radiation that can be detected from objects in space! Just so you are aware, physically looking at stars with ones eyes using an optical telescope is mainly a hobby now (albeit one that I think a number of (astro)physicists engage in!). Normally the actual physics will be done with using data from other, bigger telescopes that detect different EM radiation.
tinyturtle319
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes, as long as you're doing a physics degree you'll have the requisite background. Bear in mind astronomy as done by physicists isn't normally optical astronomy but using e.g. radio telescopes, X-Ray telescopes (in space) etc. The visible range of the EM spectrum is after all a fairly small section of the full range of EM radiation that can be detected from objects in space! Just so you are aware, physically looking at stars with ones eyes using an optical telescope is mainly a hobby now (albeit one that I think a number of (astro)physicists engage in!). Normally the actual physics will be done with using data from other, bigger telescopes that detect different EM radiation.
thank you for all your help in both this thread and the other one you replied to! ^_^
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
22.73%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.55%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (3)
13.64%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
9.09%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
27.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
22.73%

Watched Threads