how does spaced repetition work?

Watch
jubnatan
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi Guys,

I have a question about spaced repetition I have tried researching it but none of the articles have addressed this.

So, my question is, let's say you revise something today, and then you revise it 3 days later, the next time you go to revise it do you revise it a week from the last time you revised it or a week from the first time you revised it?

Usually, there are intervals like 3 days, a week, 2 weeks, then a month, then 2 months.

Thank you very much for your time.

0ptics
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Thee aren’t set intervals for spaced repetition. You cater your revision (spaced repetition in this case) based on how well you remember the content.
jubnatan
Rep:
(Original post by 0ptics)
Thee aren’t set intervals for spaced repetition. You cater your revision (spaced repetition in this case) based on how well you remember the content.
so could you give me an example please
0ptics
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jubnatan)
so could you give me an example please
But why? The example that you gave in your OP is more than enough to illustrate the point of how spaced repetition works.
Last edited by 0ptics; 1 month ago
jubnatan
Rep:
(Original post by 0ptics)
But why? The example that you gave in your OP is more than enough to illustrate the point of how spaced repetition works.
okay let's say I study cells today and then you are saying if I knew it well increase the time interval between when I next revise it and if not do the opposite. Also how would I know what the appropriate time interval would be?
0ptics
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jubnatan)
okay let's say I study cells today and then you are saying if I knew it well increase the time interval between when I next revise it and if not do the opposite. Also how would I know what the appropriate time interval would be?
Pretty much. To know about the appropriate time interval for when you should revise next, have you ever heard of a technique called blurting? As in, you write everything you know about a topic and fill in the stuff you don’t know in a different coloured pen. If there are a lot of forgotten knowledge, revise the topic and if there aren’t, leave it for another day.

Of course, that’s just a subjective way of revising but maybe try it? Also, try teaching someone (even a toy) about the topic to see what you know and/or don’t know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
21.95%
Note taking apps (5)
3.05%
Flashcards (29)
17.68%
Revision guides (5)
3.05%
Past papers (83)
50.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.66%

Watched Threads