The Student Room Group

how does spaced repetition work?

Hi Guys,

I have a question about spaced repetition I have tried researching it but none of the articles have addressed this.

So, my question is, let's say you revise something today, and then you revise it 3 days later, the next time you go to revise it do you revise it a week from the last time you revised it or a week from the first time you revised it?

Usually, there are intervals like 3 days, a week, 2 weeks, then a month, then 2 months.

Thank you very much for your time.
Thee aren’t set intervals for spaced repetition. You cater your revision (spaced repetition in this case) based on how well you remember the content.
Reply 2
Original post by 0ptics
Thee aren’t set intervals for spaced repetition. You cater your revision (spaced repetition in this case) based on how well you remember the content.

so could you give me an example please
Original post by jubnatan
so could you give me an example please

But why? The example that you gave in your OP is more than enough to illustrate the point of how spaced repetition works.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by 0ptics
But why? The example that you gave in your OP is more than enough to illustrate the point of how spaced repetition works.

okay let's say I study cells today and then you are saying if I knew it well increase the time interval between when I next revise it and if not do the opposite. Also how would I know what the appropriate time interval would be?
Original post by jubnatan
okay let's say I study cells today and then you are saying if I knew it well increase the time interval between when I next revise it and if not do the opposite. Also how would I know what the appropriate time interval would be?

Pretty much. To know about the appropriate time interval for when you should revise next, have you ever heard of a technique called blurting? As in, you write everything you know about a topic and fill in the stuff you don’t know in a different coloured pen. If there are a lot of forgotten knowledge, revise the topic and if there aren’t, leave it for another day.

Of course, that’s just a subjective way of revising but maybe try it? Also, try teaching someone (even a toy) about the topic to see what you know and/or don’t know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending