The Student Room Group

University choice

I have currently got all 5 conditional offers from the following unis for CS:

Birmingham
Southampton
QMUL
Loughborough
RHUL

I am unsure which one I want to go to since all of them stand out in their own way. I am looking more towards Southampton and Birmingham first since their courses I like but I need to meet their predicted which I am 1 off and qmul and Loughborough are in my grasp as well as RHUL

QMUL has a more interesting course and is based in London but I like the facilities and balance of sport and academics in Loughborough and the campus uni feel.
The logical thing to do would be to firm either Southampton or Birmingham and then keep either Loughborough or QMUL as a backup. But you've got loads of time yet so don't rush into anything. Try and visit all of your choices, speak to students, look at all the modules, and only make a choice when you've looked at the pros and cons of all of them. Speak to people who know you, family and teachers. Listen to their advise but ultimately it's you that has to decide. Uni is minimum 3 years, so you have to be happy with your choice. I can't believe the number of threads on TSR that I've read lately with students dropping out mostly because they've chosen the wrong course or the wrong town, and sometimes because they've built up the idea that going to Uni is going to be an amazing experience every day, when in reality it's hard work.
So basically don't rush into it. Look in detail at the course, but also at the social side, the cost etc if it's an issue, and only make your choice when you've done this. There will be less chance that you'll be disappointed!
Original post by Arkxhero

Birmingham
Southampton
QMUL
Loughborough
RHUL

I am unsure which one I want to go to since all of them stand out in their own way. I am looking more towards Southampton and Birmingham first since their courses I like but I need to meet their predicted which I am 1 off and qmul and Loughborough are in my grasp as well as RHUL

QMUL has a more interesting course and is based in London but I like the facilities and balance of sport and academics in Loughborough and the campus uni feel.

It depends on the conditional offers.

Here is a video that could help you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8&t=1s

Personally, I would firm Southampton or Birmingham.

Birmingham
Southampton
QMUL
Loughborough
RHUL

Hi Arkxhero,

Congratulations on your offers! Deciding where to choose as your firm and insurance can be really hard, especially when you have so many to choose from! As @Nobody2u says, Southampton or Birmingham as your firm is a sensible choice because you like the courses and being only 1 grade off makes them reasonable but aspirational choices. Then with somewhere like Queen Mary, Loughborough or Royal Holloway as your insurance you have the reassurance that if you don't manage to exceed your predicted grades you still have a place on a great course.

Are there any offer holder days being run by these universities or could you go to some open days if you haven't visited already? It can be really hard to get a good feel for a university on paper and you will probably find yourself feeling more equipped to make a decision once you've been to see them or spent some time with staff or students in the department. I went to an open day and an offer holder day in Physics at Birmingham and they helped me realise it was where I wanted to go. Don't forget as well to look at things like accommodation prices, the surrounding city, travel to that uni from home or to other places you might want to go to etc help narrow things down.

I'm 3rd year Theoretical Physics student at the University of Birmingham and will give you a quick run down of student experience at Birmingham to help your decision making! I have loved my time at Birmingham and think it's a great city to live in. UoB campus is beautiful, it has lovely green spaces, loads of study areas to choose from, a range of food outlets and great academic facilities. I also love the location in relation to the city centre. Day to day you're out of the main city centre with everything you need close to campus but if you want to, you can get to the city centre on a super quick and cheap train or bus. Accommodation is well priced and there are lots of options to choose from, it's also easy to get private accommodation after first year, there's loads within a 10 minute walk to campus too! If you'd like to know more about Computer Science at Birmingham and to ask about Offer Holder Days you can contact Computer Science admissions at [email protected] and there's a Facebook group for offer holders here https://www.facebook.com/groups/940044666842035.

Good luck with the rest of your applications process, Jude

Birmingham
Southampton
QMUL
Loughborough
RHUL

Hi @Arkxhero

Firstly, congratulations on your five offers - that's amazing! You have been given some great advice already. I would strongly recommend that you write down at least 5 things that you really want from your university experience. Think about location, extracurricular opportunities, placement years, employability, social environment, cost of living etc.

Once you have your 5 answers then you can start to work out which universities best match what you're looking for. You might find that some of your choices are excluded automatically. For example: Loughborough University is campus-based, in a busy town. It has excellent sports opportunities, many societies and clubs and a very high standard of teaching and research. As everything is on campus, it's safe and has a community feeling. However - if you want to experience city life then it might not be the perfect choice for you. Working out what you want from your university will help you to narrow your options down, or at the very least you can more easily rank them from 1-5.

You have lots to consider but I'm sure you'll have a great time wherever you go :smile:

Kalisha

Quick Reply

Latest