The Student Room Group

Doctors/med student on here please advice

So basically, I’m not sure whether I should go to my GP or not. It’s about my periods. I have extreme pain-as in I can’t sleep or stay still bc it hurts sm. I end up sleeping about 3 hours when I have my period mixed with lying in bed trying to distract myself from pain by listening to music and trying to sleep, or walking around when it’s too much to lie there. I take full doses of paracetamol and ibuprofen, the paracetamol doesn’t rlly do anything the ibuprofen is slightly better but still the pain is so much. I vomit when I have it too, especially on the first day I think this is because of the pain but I’m not sure-My mum said it’s normal for some ppl to vomit during contractions.
The pain is mainly in my pelvis area. I have these kind of small lumps under my skin there. You can’t see them just by looking but you can feel them. They feel hard and move around slightly when o gently push on them. I have found 3 on the left pelvis and none on the right. The pain is substantially worse on the left of my pelvis. I also have back pain but it’s not comparable to the pelvic pain.
I also have a mixture of constipation and diarrhoea when I have it and I’m gassy. I thought perhaps I was lactose intolerant or perhaps IBS but cutting out lactose and changing diet didn’t do anything.
My legs feel slightly numb and feet cold when I have my period as well.
I also have thick clumps in my period, like bloody thick tissue.
For history-my sister has endometriosis and my mum had ovarian cysts before having children. My other sister has no period problems.
The pain is obviously a big problem as is the vomiting and I’m worried it’s going to significantly affect my school work. I had my period a couple of days before my mocks. Luckily the pain gets better during the end so I managed to sleep. I am a hardworking aspiring medic and achieved A*A*A but what if I get my period the night before my my actual exams and don’t manage to sleep.
My mum says it’s normal and will get better when I’m older but it’s been about 5 years of this. I don’t know who my gp is but I know which GP practise I am (idk the right word-) ‘registered’ with, so I can call up and book one. I don’t want to waste their time if it is just normal periods, especially bc of how busy they are. Also idk if they can do anything. I think it’s endometriosis but idk what they can do.
I am 17 and I’ve never engaged in sexual activity idk if that relevant.
My sister has been confirmed to have endometriosis through various scans and surgery.
So ig my questions is, is it normal? Would I just be wasting their time? What could they do? If you heard it, would you think I’m just exaggerating?
Im most worried about the pain and lump things my mum (who is not medical and doesn’t take it or me seriously) says they are swollen lymph nodes. I mnot sure why I asked how she knew and she just rolled her eyes and told me to stop wasting her time. I don’t want to disrespect her she’s done everything for me.
If you need any more info I’m happy to provide thank you for reading.
I’m so sorry for such a long post and I ask people to be respectful, ik it’s a bit of a gross topic but I’m not sure what to do-should I just live with it?
Thanks
Doctors and med students will not give specific medical advice online for ethical reasons and malpractice lawsuit concerns.

If you feel you need to have your problem considered by a doctor, speak with your GP. You can call 111 if you aren't certain.

If you are in a medical emergency you should call 999.

TSR is not, and cannot provide, a medical service. The health forum is not for getting diagnosed online, it's for general support for people who have already seen their doctors or other medical professional(s) about their health concerns.
(edited 2 years ago)
What you’ve described is pretty much exactly what I go through, including the vomiting, the weird lumpy movements (I think that’s the muscle contracting?) and left sided pain.

I assumed this was normal but on the more painful end of the period-symptom spectrum. I’ve been to the GP about this but they didn’t think it was anything unordinary and didn’t do any tests. I was prescribed naproxen but that didn’t help at all so I kind of just deal with it.

The GP wasn’t helpful in my case but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try as the outcome may be different given your family history.
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Doctors and med students will not give specific medical advice online for ethical reasons and malpractice lawsuit concerns.

If you feel you need to have your problem considered by a doctor, speak with your GP. You can call 111 if you aren't certain.

If you are in a medical emergency you should call 999.

TSR is not, and cannot provide, a medical service. The health forum is not for getting diagnosed online, it's for general support for people who have already seen their doctors or other medical professional(s) about their health concerns.

Okay thanks I was just wondering whether they would take me seriously as doctors, sorry it’s not my intention to break any rules.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What you’ve described is pretty much exactly what I go through, including the vomiting, the weird lumpy movements (I think that’s the muscle contracting?) and left sided pain.

I assumed this was normal but on the more painful end of the period-symptom spectrum. I’ve been to the GP about this but they didn’t think it was anything unordinary and didn’t do any tests. I was prescribed naproxen but that didn’t help at all so I kind of just deal with it.

The GP wasn’t helpful in my case but that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try as the outcome may be different given your family history.

What did you do about the vomiting, do you have any tips for managing it? I’ve had to leave lessons in the past but I don’t want to reduce exam time.
Okay thanks I was just wondering whether they would take me seriously as doctors, sorry it’s not my intention to break any rules.

It's not about rules, it's about your best interests and welfare! No professionally registered medical professional is going to offer any kind of diagnosis online without having been formally referred the patient through NHS channels (so, not on TSR) and you can potentially get a lot of inaccurate or even dangerous advice from random people on the internet who AREN'T medically trained :s-smilie:

So it's best for your health just to make sure you go directly to an appropriate medical professional who can help you - which for most people is their GP as a first call :smile: Of course if you're in a medical emergency or acute pain then you may need to go to A&E. In both cases if you are worried about speaking to your GP or going to A&E you can call 111 who can help signpost you to the right person!
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
It's not about rules, it's about your best interests and welfare! No professionally registered medical professional is going to offer any kind of diagnosis online without having been formally referred the patient through NHS channels (so, not on TSR) and you can potentially get a lot of inaccurate or even dangerous advice from random people on the internet who AREN'T medically trained :s-smilie:

So it's best for your health just to make sure you go directly to an appropriate medical professional who can help you - which for most people is their GP as a first call :smile: Of course if you're in a medical emergency or acute pain then you may need to go to A&E. In both cases if you are worried about speaking to your GP or going to A&E you can call 111 who can help signpost you to the right person!

Yh that makes sense. I don’t want them to diagnose me, that’s not why I posted, it’s more to ask if they would take me seriously.
Sorry, I guess it was a little silly to post on here anyway.
Yh that makes sense. I don’t want them to diagnose me, that’s not why I posted, it’s more to ask if they would take me seriously.
Sorry, I guess it was a little silly to post on here anyway.

Their job is to take you seriously so I definitely hope they would! Don't worry about that I think, talk to your GP so you can get the support you need :h:
Reply 8
Make an appointment with your GP as soon as you can, that exactly what they are there to help with
Reply 9
Okay thanks I think it’s because my mum is very dismissive of it and I don’t want to waste anyones time. I also don’t want to be considered as an attention seeker.
So basically, I’m not sure whether I should go to my GP or not. It’s about my periods. I have extreme pain-as in I can’t sleep or stay still bc it hurts sm. I end up sleeping about 3 hours when I have my period mixed with lying in bed trying to distract myself from pain by listening to music and trying to sleep, or walking around when it’s too much to lie there. I take full doses of paracetamol and ibuprofen, the paracetamol doesn’t rlly do anything the ibuprofen is slightly better but still the pain is so much. I vomit when I have it too, especially on the first day I think this is because of the pain but I’m not sure-My mum said it’s normal for some ppl to vomit during contractions.
The pain is mainly in my pelvis area. I have these kind of small lumps under my skin there. You can’t see them just by looking but you can feel them. They feel hard and move around slightly when o gently push on them. I have found 3 on the left pelvis and none on the right. The pain is substantially worse on the left of my pelvis. I also have back pain but it’s not comparable to the pelvic pain.
I also have a mixture of constipation and diarrhoea when I have it and I’m gassy. I thought perhaps I was lactose intolerant or perhaps IBS but cutting out lactose and changing diet didn’t do anything.
My legs feel slightly numb and feet cold when I have my period as well.
I also have thick clumps in my period, like bloody thick tissue.
For history-my sister has endometriosis and my mum had ovarian cysts before having children. My other sister has no period problems.
The pain is obviously a big problem as is the vomiting and I’m worried it’s going to significantly affect my school work. I had my period a couple of days before my mocks. Luckily the pain gets better during the end so I managed to sleep. I am a hardworking aspiring medic and achieved A*A*A but what if I get my period the night before my my actual exams and don’t manage to sleep.
My mum says it’s normal and will get better when I’m older but it’s been about 5 years of this. I don’t know who my gp is but I know which GP practise I am (idk the right word-) ‘registered’ with, so I can call up and book one. I don’t want to waste their time if it is just normal periods, especially bc of how busy they are. Also idk if they can do anything. I think it’s endometriosis but idk what they can do.
I am 17 and I’ve never engaged in sexual activity idk if that relevant.
My sister has been confirmed to have endometriosis through various scans and surgery.
So ig my questions is, is it normal? Would I just be wasting their time? What could they do? If you heard it, would you think I’m just exaggerating?
Im most worried about the pain and lump things my mum (who is not medical and doesn’t take it or me seriously) says they are swollen lymph nodes. I mnot sure why I asked how she knew and she just rolled her eyes and told me to stop wasting her time. I don’t want to disrespect her she’s done everything for me.
If you need any more info I’m happy to provide thank you for reading.
I’m so sorry for such a long post and I ask people to be respectful, ik it’s a bit of a gross topic but I’m not sure what to do-should I just live with it?
Thanks

If it is bad, like artful_lounger said, you should seek medical attention.
Your symptoms could mean a lot of things and it is hard for anyone either way to have a diagnosis without a thorough assessment (including bloods).
If your GP is not listening, go private. Simple.
This is not the right place because my perception of your symptoms may lead to a wrong diagnosis. Like anyone else.
So, be safe and seek whomever you need to seek.
Ask gor a gynea referral, it should take about 1 month for review.
You should speak to your GP, they can prescribe medication to help with this. No point in suffering when there is stuff that can help.
It’s definitely in your best interest to talk to your GP about it and call 111 if your worried as others have stated above. May I also recommend you speak to childline as they may also be able to help with emotionally supporting you.
yh
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/endometriosis/
It does sound like it - I don't understand why your mother thinks you're an attention seeker if you have a family history? This is tantamount to abuse
Unfortunately women's health isn't taken seriously.
So even your GP is likely to fob you off.
See if you can get referred to a gynaecologist, go private if needed
Many people have spent ages waiting for a diagnosis so be prepared to advocate for yourself
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest