Best methods for preparing for ECAA ?

Watch this thread
IReallyDoNotKnow
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Anyone aware on the best methods for preparing for the Economics Admissions Assessment ? I took maths, economics, physics, english lit (and Further Maths AS) ? Would I need to complete all the AS maths content first ? Since I am taking FM as an enrichment, as opposed to the full a-level I will only finish the entire AS maths course by the end of the year.
tomftutor
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by IReallyDoNotKnow)
Anyone aware on the best methods for preparing for the Economics Admissions Assessment ? I took maths, economics, physics, english lit (and Further Maths AS) ? Would I need to complete all the AS maths content first ? Since I am taking FM as an enrichment, as opposed to the full a-level I will only finish the entire AS maths course by the end of the year.
In case you haven't found it already, there is a syllabus on the Cambridge Economics admissions page detailing what you need to know. I would say having done AS maths would be roughly sufficient in terms of the content to revise. However this depends on the particular exam board and also the questions tend to use/apply these concepts in more difficult ways. The best way to check is to check out the page mentioned above for more details. This way, you can see if there are a few things you haven't come across or even a few things you may need to revise.

You can find the 2021 (last year's - 2022 and beyond could change slightly) specification under "Entry Requirements" on the page here.

My general recommendations for preparing for the ECAA would be:

Maths Questions

• Go through the ECAA syllabus and check you know the mathematical material required.
  • Attempt the past papers.
  • Attempt more practice questions. You can find a few of these online for free. You can also use other papers e.g. MAT/TMUA exams as some (but not all) of the material may overlap. There are also some books on Amazon and I have heard good things about some of them but have not seen them myself.
  • Note down mistakes and try to learn from them using available answers. You should try to understand where you went wrong in each question.
  • Time management is really important so practising the above in timed conditions will help.

Essay Questions
  • Read current affairs and/or about economics, for example using The Economist to understand the style of economic arguments. You should also do this to broaden your knowledge of economics and knowledge of examples.
  • Lots of practice essay writing using the past papers and other practice questions you can find online for free or in those books mentioned above. You can also just create your own questions based on Economist articles.
  • Get someone to review your essays if possible.
Last edited by tomftutor; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.69%
The paper was reasonable (220)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads