The Student Room Group

Applying for computer science with A* A* B

I want to do computer science at university in the UK, and am predicted an A* in math, A* in physics, B in business and a B in EPQ. What are some good universities I should apply to?
Reply 1
Warwick but I'm not sure what the requirements are
Original post by harman.12
Warwick but I'm not sure what the requirements are

Without FM Warwick is a real stretch, and probably unrealistic.

Original post by bakedthecow
I want to do computer science at university in the UK, and am predicted an A* in math, A* in physics, B in business and a B in EPQ. What are some good universities I should apply to?

Southampton, Bristol or Birmingham might be good options. Note though you would most likely get an offer for e.g. A*AA, AAA, etc, which would require you exceed your predicted grade in business. In general look at AAA or A*AA courses that aren't Warwick/Edinburgh/Imperial/Oxbridge/UCL (as those would likely expect A-level FM). Maybe one or two A*A*A courses.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger

Southampton, Bristol or Birmingham might be good options. Note though you would most likely get an offer for e.g. A*AA, AAA, etc, which would require you exceed your predicted grade in business. In general look at AAA or A*AA courses that aren't Warwick/Edinburgh/Imperial/Oxbridge/UCL (as those would likely expect A-level FM). Maybe one or two A*A*A courses.

what wouId you think about manchester may I ask? Its a good uni apparentIy but i dont know how good it is at aII.
Original post by WhoAmI???
what wouId you think about manchester may I ask? Its a good uni apparentIy but i dont know how good it is at aII.

I imagine it's good for CS (Manchester is generally strong in STEM fields, from UMIST's historical strengths in those areas when it merged to become the current University of Manchester), probably on par with Southampton and Birmingham (maybe stronger than B'ham) but they require A*A*A* so I think it's also a bit of a long shot with the B in business (whereas Southampton and Birmingham might be more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt being just one grade shy and make you an offer, you're two grades off Manchester). Possibly you could use it as an "aspirational" option if the rest of your choices are fairly balanced and you have one good "backup", but I'd say take it as a long shot that you may well not get an offer from :s-smilie:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5

What A*A*A courses are there apart from the ones listed? Really appreciate the help. Also what about St Andrews? Also what is generally considered better out of Edinburgh and Durham?
(edited 2 years ago)
What A*A*A courses are there apart from the ones listed? Really appreciate the help. Also what about St Andrews? Also what is generally considered better out of Edinburgh and Durham?

Edinburgh is much stronger than Durham for CS imo, their informatics department is one of their flagship departments as far as I'm aware. That said, without FM Edinburgh may be a stretch...@Blue_Cow might have some sense of how necessary FM may be to apply successfully to Edinburgh?

I think Durham is a decent enough CS department although I don't know much about them/it specifically. No idea about St Andrews.
Reply 7
Edinburgh is much stronger than Durham for CS imo, their informatics department is one of their flagship departments as far as I'm aware. That said, without FM Edinburgh may be a stretch...@Blue_Cow might have some sense of how necessary FM may be to apply successfully to Edinburgh?

I think Durham is a decent enough CS department although I don't know much about them/it specifically. No idea about St Andrews.

So far, I was considering applying to Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Edinburgh and Southampton.
First of all, I was wondering how you would rank Southampton, Exeter and Loughborough . Secondly, I was considering using Edinburgh as my reach, however if it requires further math, what could I apply to instead as a reach?
(edited 2 years ago)

manchester cs wants a*a*a* - ridiculous
So far, I was considering applying to Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Edinburgh and Southampton.
First of all, I was wondering how you would rank Southampton, Exeter and Loughborough . Secondly, I was considering using Edinburgh as my reach, however if it requires further math, what could I apply to instead as a reach?

Exeter is very marginal - the CS "department" is shoehorned into the engineering building. Until a few years ago it mainly focused on applied topics like web development, so more IT than CS. Speaking as a former Exeter engineering student here: the CS programming courses were apparently so inappropriate the EE course did not use them (despite being in the same building) on their degree but farmed those out from the physics course instead at the time. So even within the uni they obviously weren't considered suitable background for any scientific understanding of computers and computing...

The others look like good options. You could always keep Edinburgh to try your luck without FM - I think the others seem reasonable, if you swap Exeter for e.g. Loughborough, which would make a good backup I imagine in terms of grade requirements and is also a very strong uni for STEM subjects in general.
Not sure about Further Maths requirement @ Edinburgh. When I enrolled this was definitely not a requirement but do check the course prospectus.

In terms of how helpful it is, I'd say if you can hack through a FM course then you will likely find first and second year *slightly* easier. It is, however, by no means, essential.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Not sure about Further Maths requirement @ Edinburgh. When I enrolled this was definitely not a requirement but do check the course prospectus.

In terms of how helpful it is, I'd say if you can hack through a FM course then you will likely find first and second year *slightly* easier. It is, however, by no means, essential.

Ah, while I'm aware it isn't required I got the impression somewhere that it would be "preferred" ala Warwick/Oxbridge/Imperial...if that's not the case then @bakedthecow that might be a good option :smile:

Also what is about CS and cow based usernames? :holmes:
I imagine it's good for CS (Manchester is generally strong in STEM fields, from UMIST's historical strengths in those areas when it merged to become the current University of Manchester), probably on par with Southampton and Birmingham (maybe stronger than B'ham) but they require A*A*A* so I think it's also a bit of a long shot with the B in business (whereas Southampton and Birmingham might be more willing to give you the benefit of the doubt being just one grade shy and make you an offer, you're two grades off Manchester). Possibly you could use it as an "aspirational" option if the rest of your choices are fairly balanced and you have one good "backup", but I'd say take it as a long shot that you may well not get an offer from :s-smilie:

Original post by user993990
manchester cs wants a*a*a* - ridiculous

not OP you see, i got a deferred entry for this year for comp sci at manchester (in some ways I got Iucky?) and i find the entry requirements for this year mind-boggIing too. I prefer warwick but it was 2A* :frown: oh weII
not OP you see, i got a deferred entry for this year for comp sci at manchester (in some ways I got Iucky?) and i find the entry requirements for this year mind-boggIing too. I prefer warwick but it was 2A* :frown: oh weII

I guess it's a function of popularity - if they have so many people apply to the course that might be a way to filter them out. I suppose it may also be the Exeter tactic of "pump up entry criteria on the website to appear more selective but take just about everyone anyway"...

A*A*A* does seem unusual though since it's even higher than Oxford and Cambridge, and I imagine Manchester expect they will usually be an insurance choice for most applying to either of those unis? Perhaps they're banking on the Oxbridge near misses and keep the entry criteria high so they can pick and choose from them, who to be "flexible" with on results day that made them an insurance choice...
I guess it's a function of popularity - if they have so many people apply to the course that might be a way to filter them out. I suppose it may also be the Exeter tactic of "pump up entry criteria on the website to appear more selective but take just about everyone anyway"...

A*A*A* does seem unusual though since it's even higher than Oxford and Cambridge, and I imagine Manchester expect they will usually be an insurance choice for most applying to either of those unis? Perhaps they're banking on the Oxbridge near misses and keep the entry criteria high so they can pick and choose from them, who to be "flexible" with on results day that made them an insurance choice...

yeah it does seem that way. I'm not sure why, but even if Manchester is a Russell group uni and has had famous alumni in the past, it's not talked about as much as other top tier russel unis.

Quick Reply

Latest