The Student Room Group

Living in a shared house

Hi,

I live in a shared house and am recently getting really pissed off. It is getting to the point where I am buying all the essentials like loo roll, washing up liquid, kitchen roll and bin bags. No one seems to buy stuff when we need it and I honestly don't know what to do?
keep them in your room and use them for yourself. They'll get the hint/initiative
Hi, it could be helpful to draw up a chart of what needs buying in the household and puts tally's next to who bought what. If people have less Tally's they then know its their turn to buy something. This or set up a rota. If you try this and they still don't contribute then do just keep it in your room, its is yours after all. But do try talking to them first and setting up a chart, as often it's easy to forget, so having a visible reminder can be helpful.

- Rosie
Sheffield Hallam Ambassador
Reply 3
Do you have house get togethers or ‘meetings’. If so you could raise the issue and suggest a ‘kitty’ for these essentials so everyone contributes.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I live in a shared house and am recently getting really pissed off. It is getting to the point where I am buying all the essentials like loo roll, washing up liquid, kitchen roll and bin bags. No one seems to buy stuff when we need it and I honestly don't know what to do?

Hi!

I would have a chat with them about it. Might sound annoying but they may not even realise that it's you every time something is brought.
Me and my housemates use an app called splitwise and this works best. You just add what you've brought to the group and it splits it equally. I usually don't ask for money back until someone owes me £5. It just saves arguments over how much people have spent. You don't pay through the app, so you would all need to share bank details with each other, but after you've paid through your banking app then put on the splitwise app that you've settled expenses.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending