Evaluate the extent that labour is a more divided political party than the Con party

Watch this thread
wwarpspeedchic
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey can anyone help me write a plan for it? i need help on what points to write about, and how this makes the party divided. thanks
narabarrrr
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by wwarpspeedchic)
Hey can anyone help me write a plan for it? i need help on what points to write about, and how this makes the party divided. thanks
First of all that is such a specific question and hard feel sorry 4 u here are some discussion points/ways to go about it:

1st - define what ‘divided’ means. You can categorise this with Factions, backbench rebellions, party leadership and the support they get, ideology, even where they are regionally concentrated. But before writing you need to decide whether you agree with the statement, in this post I’ll plan as if I’m arguing ‘I do agree’

Main points of discussion could be:
• Labour more divided because they do not tend to strongly unite behind their party leader
Relevant examples include: Micheal Foot and how he faced opposition within the party, Gordon Brown and how party was, also big opposition that Jeremy Corbin faced -> counterpoint: Labour Party members have weaker party whip, conservative also faced same opposition within party but it is controlled well. give example of how Boris dismissed quite a few MPs for rebelling no deal brexit in 2019 and give example of thatcher

Labour more divided because ideological incoherences
Relevant examples include: the different party structures so, how there’s too many opinions allowed to be heard in Labour (all party members can vote for the party leader including grassroot) which inevitably means that it will prove to be more divided as more voices are allowed to be heard. Contrast this with conservatives where voting for the party leader is restricted.

• Labour more divided party because of sources of funding. (Structural reason) this is a tricky point to argue but you can if you explain well.
So for examples look at how the Labour union funding (heavy dependence) on it and give the example of the issue kier starmer faced because he is ideologically incoherent with his funders
Conservative party are ideologically coherent with their funders (most comes from big corporations or rich individuals which support right/neo conservativism)

Edit: thought of another point

You can try to make a point of Labour more divided because they don’t have a regional base anymore how the ‘red wall’ has been broken and unlike the SNP that is concentrated in Scotland (so they would have similar grievances since they are all in the same area) and conservative who are concentrated in south east (who also have similar grievances eg lower tax) Labour no longer has that so the issues their MPs advocate for are not coherent but the counter is to that Labour is concentrated in cities (but that is changing too since they lost so many seats)

• could also argue (though it’s reaching) Labour don’t have core voters anymore but thats probably more of a counter point - on it’s own if your not too focused it can stray from the question

Hope this helped - Im a bit rusty I’ve not looked at y1 revision yet even tho I have a levels In a couple months lol
Last edited by narabarrrr; 4 months ago
kiiiiiiiiiii
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by narabarrrr)
First of all that is such a specific question and hard feel sorry 4 u here are some discussion points/ways to go about it:

1st - define what ‘divided’ means. You can categorise this with Factions, backbench rebellions, party leadership and the support they get, ideology, even where they are regionally concentrated. But before writing you need to decide whether you agree with the statement, in this post I’ll plan as if I’m arguing ‘I do agree’

Main points of discussion could be:
• Labour more divided because they do not tend to strongly unite behind their party leader
Relevant examples include: Micheal Foot and how he faced opposition within the party, Gordon Brown and how party was, also big opposition that Jeremy Corbin faced -> counterpoint: Labour Party members have weaker party whip, conservative also faced same opposition within party but it is controlled well. give example of how Boris dismissed quite a few MPs for rebelling no deal brexit in 2019 and give example of thatcher

Labour more divided because ideological incoherences
Relevant examples include: the different party structures so, how there’s too many opinions allowed to be heard in Labour (all party members can vote for the party leader including grassroot) which inevitably means that it will prove to be more divided as more voices are allowed to be heard. Contrast this with conservatives where voting for the party leader is restricted.

• Labour more divided party because of sources of funding. (Structural reason) this is a tricky point to argue but you can if you explain well.
So for examples look at how the Labour union funding (heavy dependence) on it and give the example of the issue kier starmer faced because he is ideologically incoherent with his funders
Conservative party are ideologically coherent with their funders (most comes from big corporations or rich individuals which support right/neo conservativism)

Edit: thought of another point

You can try to make a point of Labour more divided because they don’t have a regional base anymore how the ‘red wall’ has been broken and unlike the SNP that is concentrated in Scotland (so they would have similar grievances since they are all in the same area) and conservative who are concentrated in south east (who also have similar grievances eg lower tax) Labour no longer has that so the issues their MPs advocate for are not coherent but the counter is to that Labour is concentrated in cities (but that is changing too since they lost so many seats)

• could also argue (though it’s reaching) Labour don’t have core voters anymore but thats probably more of a counter point - on it’s own if your not too focused it can stray from the question

Hope this helped - Im a bit rusty I’ve not looked at y1 revision yet even tho I have a levels In a couple months lol
this is so good!! thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads