The Student Room Group

What uni is best to study sport science

I currently have Loughborough and Bath as 2 of my choices in my UCAS application, but I would like to consider some more. I have in mind Exeter, Leeds, Birmingham, Surrey, Nottingham, Newcastle and Ulster. Placements are really important for me as well, but I haven't received any replies yet from some of the unis mentioned above yet. I want to work as a performance analyst for a professional football club in the future, and I have read some people saying that Lboro tends to teach you how to be a PE... I would like to read different opinions to make a decision, so if someone can help me I would appreciate it
Oxford

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by summerbirdreads
Oxford

Spoiler

I can't apply to Oxford at this stage, I'm not an early applicant
Original post by ses2022
I can't apply to Oxford at this stage, I'm not an early applicant

Didn't you click the spoiler? Besides Oxford doesn't offer sports science
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by summerbirdreads
Didn't you click the spoiler? Besides Oxford doesn't offer sports science

Yes, I've checked the course from Brookes but I didn't like it.
Original post by ses2022
I currently have Loughborough and Bath as 2 of my choices in my UCAS application, but I would like to consider some more. I have in mind Exeter, Leeds, Birmingham, Surrey, Nottingham, Newcastle and Ulster. Placements are really important for me as well, but I haven't received any replies yet from some of the unis mentioned above yet. I want to work as a performance analyst for a professional football club in the future, and I have read some people saying that Lboro tends to teach you how to be a PE... I would like to read different opinions to make a decision, so if someone can help me I would appreciate it

Loughborough. Known as the best sports uni in the uk ngl
Reply 6
Original post by ecoleaf
Loughborough. Known as the best sports uni in the uk ngl

I know, Lboro and Bath are my 2 main choices, but I'd like to add 3 more to my application bc the entry requirements are A*AA and AAA
I attended a virtual open day for Lancaster University and it's a sporty uni apparently.
Original post by ses2022

Hi there,

To introduce myself โ€“ I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

In this course, you'll learn to maximise sports performance and improve general health and wellbeing through exercise. In your first year, you'll study topics, including anatomy, biochemistry, fitness and health, physiology, kinesiology, and skill acquisition, ensuring you have a solid foundation to build the rest of your degree. During your second year, you'll apply your knowledge in a sporting context, incorporating perspectives from physiology, nutrition, psychology, biomechanics and management, with opportunity for interdisciplinary application and the development of discipline-specific practical skills. Finally, in your third year, you'll select two optional modules, exploring topics such as advances in nutrition, biological rhythms, exercise referrals and prescriptions, and human movement and rehabilitation.

If you're an individual who has the exceptional sporting ability, you may be eligible for one of our sports scholarships, where you can benefit from free Surrey Sports Park membership, bespoke nutritional support, physiology testing, physiotherapy and sports therapy, strength and conditioning training, and talented athlete workshops. You can also apply for Sport England's Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS), accessing performance services at Surrey Sports Park.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out! :smile:

Joao
Reply 9
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there,

To introduce myself โ€“ I'm Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I am working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government's Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

In this course, you'll learn to maximise sports performance and improve general health and wellbeing through exercise. In your first year, you'll study topics, including anatomy, biochemistry, fitness and health, physiology, kinesiology, and skill acquisition, ensuring you have a solid foundation to build the rest of your degree. During your second year, you'll apply your knowledge in a sporting context, incorporating perspectives from physiology, nutrition, psychology, biomechanics and management, with opportunity for interdisciplinary application and the development of discipline-specific practical skills. Finally, in your third year, you'll select two optional modules, exploring topics such as advances in nutrition, biological rhythms, exercise referrals and prescriptions, and human movement and rehabilitation.

If you're an individual who has the exceptional sporting ability, you may be eligible for one of our sports scholarships, where you can benefit from free Surrey Sports Park membership, bespoke nutritional support, physiology testing, physiotherapy and sports therapy, strength and conditioning training, and talented athlete workshops. You can also apply for Sport England's Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS), accessing performance services at Surrey Sports Park.

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out! :smile:

Joao

Hi Joao, could you tell me some examples of placements that students from Surrey have been offered in the past for Sport Science?
Original post by ses2022
Hi Joao, could you tell me some examples of placements that students from Surrey have been offered in the past for Sport Science?

Hi there,

On our award-winning Professional Training Placements scheme, you can work for a range of employers, including sports clubs, sports performance laboratories, health organisations, nutrition companies, and other academic institutions, to practise and enhance your skills.

Previous students have gained placements with:

AFC Wimbledon
Bristol City Football Club
British Bobsleigh and Skeleton Association
Christ Hospital School
Club LaSanta
Guildford City Swimming Club
Harlequins F.C.
Hawkeye
Houston SaberCats
Macmillan Cancer Support
Surrey Sports Park
Team Bath
University of Gothenburg
University of Copenhagen
University of Wollongong
West Ham United Football Club.

We also have many partner institutions that offer placements exclusively to Surrey students, giving you access to research laboratories across the world. Our partner institutions include:

Appalachian State University, North Carolina, USA
Massey University, New Zealand
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
North Carolina State University, North Carolina, USA
University of Wollongong, Australia.

Joao
Economics
Original post by ses2022

Hi there,

I currently study Sports Management at Loughborough University which is within the same department as Sports science and have many friends who study the Sports Science course so hopefully I can give you some insight.

The reason that I joined Loughborough University was because of their reputation for sports courses. This has continued on since I have been here with the University being named the best university in the world for sports-related subjects for the fifth year running. For me the best thing about the University are the sports facilities. As a sports enthusiast, there are top class laboratories, gyms and pitches for whatever sport you wish to participate in during your free time.

In the Sports Science course you will gain insights into the physiological, biomechanical and psychological influences on human performance during the preparation for, and participation in, sport and exercise. A rigorous understanding of these core disciplines provides the foundation of applied practice within the sport and exercise sector.

The University also provides great support for placements. They would send me placement opportunities weekly and provided support in interviews, CVs, cover letters and also check up on me regularly during my current placement. I was able to secure a placement as a Marketing Intern here at the University, my roommate who studies Sports Science was able to secure a placement as a Youth team Sport Scientist at Stoke city, my other close friend went on to secure a placement working in a physiotherapy clinic in Canada. There are many different placements you can pursue so if you do decide that you don't want to work as a performance analyst anymore the degree provides you with many options.

At the end of the day, there are many really great options for Sports Science here in the UK and it should depend on what you are looking for. e.g. Would you prefer a campus uni or a city? Do you want a more football orientated course? Do you want a more international university? etc. I recommend taking all those options into account and making your decision based on what most fits your criteria.

I hope this helped :smile:

Noah
Lancaster is a sporty uni, they have a varsity with York called Roses. The facilities are relatively new, so its worth taking a look :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ๐“–๐“ฑ๐“ธ๐“ผ๐“ฝ๐“ต๐“ช๐“ญ๐”‚
Lancaster is a sporty uni, they have a varsity with York called Roses. The facilities are relatively new, so its worth taking a look :smile:

Do they offer a placement year in industry? I haven't found information about that
Original post by ses2022
Do they offer a placement year in industry? I haven't found information about that

hi sorry not with industry im afraid
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/sports-and-exercise-science-bsc-hons-c600/#structure
Reply 15
Original post by ses2022

Have a look at the university of Derby! Iโ€™ve just graduated from there with a first class in Sport & Exercise Science and the opportunities and staff were amazing! I did placements with derby county, Burton Albion & Nottingham forest
Original post by tomPAO
Have a look at the university of Derby! Iโ€™ve just graduated from there with a first class in Sport & Exercise Science and the opportunities and staff were amazing! I did placements with derby county, Burton Albion & Nottingham forest

Thanks for the shout out @tomPAO! :thumbsup:
We are proud of our Sport and Exercise Science team. One of our academics is Mark Faghy, who arrived in Derby as an undergraduate with the aim of becoming England Football Manager. Now, he's leading an international collaboration in the fight against Covid. While continuing to work with elite athletes (with the help of his students).
Our BSc Sport and Exercise Science graduates include Luke Jenkinson, Derby Countyโ€™s Head of Performance. He can draw a direct line to that role from a placement he went on at Sheffield United as part of his course.
Come to an Open Day. Meet the team. We've got one on 15 January. And one on 26 February.
At the end of the day, it's about what feels right for you.
All the best in all your endeavours, folks. :crossedf:
Kind regards.
^Toby
Original post by ses2022

Exeter has an amazing new Sports facility - the England Rugby team use it.

What have you asked the universities? It should be on their website re a placement and you could ask to be put in touch with a current student.
Original post by Loughborough Student Community
Hi there,

I currently study Sports Management at Loughborough University which is within the same department as Sports science and have many friends who study the Sports Science course so hopefully I can give you some insight.

The reason that I joined Loughborough University was because of their reputation for sports courses. This has continued on since I have been here with the University being named the best university in the world for sports-related subjects for the fifth year running. For me the best thing about the University are the sports facilities. As a sports enthusiast, there are top class laboratories, gyms and pitches for whatever sport you wish to participate in during your free time.

In the Sports Science course you will gain insights into the physiological, biomechanical and psychological influences on human performance during the preparation for, and participation in, sport and exercise. A rigorous understanding of these core disciplines provides the foundation of applied practice within the sport and exercise sector.

The University also provides great support for placements. They would send me placement opportunities weekly and provided support in interviews, CVs, cover letters and also check up on me regularly during my current placement. I was able to secure a placement as a Marketing Intern here at the University, my roommate who studies Sports Science was able to secure a placement as a Youth team Sport Scientist at Stoke city, my other close friend went on to secure a placement working in a physiotherapy clinic in Canada. There are many different placements you can pursue so if you do decide that you don't want to work as a performance analyst anymore the degree provides you with many options.

At the end of the day, there are many really great options for Sports Science here in the UK and it should depend on what you are looking for. e.g. Would you prefer a campus uni or a city? Do you want a more football orientated course? Do you want a more international university? etc. I recommend taking all those options into account and making your decision based on what most fits your criteria.

I hope this helped :smile:

Noah

Hi There.

I was wondering if you would be able to help me. Im currently studying physiotherapy at University and I have just seen your comment that said your friend was able to secure a placement for a physiotherapy clinic in Canada. Im trying to organise my elective placement right now and would absoluelty love to do it in Canada. This would be my ideal situation. Would you be able to tell me how they found and managed to do this. Or a contact I would be able to use as im struggling to find one right now. Thank you so much for any help.
Reply 19
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter has an amazing new Sports facility - the England Rugby team use it.

What have you asked the universities? It should be on their website re a placement and you could ask to be put in touch with a current student.

Yes I know, but I didn't like the placement programme they offer, I think it is very limited

Quick Reply

Latest