Do I need Nat5 Maths for Unis? Should I resit in S6?

Watch this thread
DawnWings
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I can't remember if I posted a similar question ages ago or not. Posted something like this on the Dundee University forum but thought it might be useful creating a general post

I got a D in Maths last year (Covid-19, new grade boundaries, etc) and I'm wondering if I need to resit it in S6

I'm interested in applying for an English/Film Studies/Creative Writing related course or something similar, something not related to math or science. I'm reading through both uni websites and booklets as the booklets have some more details about minimum requirements that the websites don't. I can't remember if it was Strathclyde, St Andrews or Aberdeen but one of the courses was listed as a C Nat5 maths or above, not sure if it is reccomended or needed. Is this the case with other Scottish Unis such as Dundee? Is a D in Nat5 maths damaging my chances at applying? Should I resit Nat5 maths in S6?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DawnWings)
I can't remember if I posted a similar question ages ago or not. Posted something like this on the Dundee University forum but thought it might be useful creating a general post

I got a D in Maths last year (Covid-19, new grade boundaries, etc) and I'm wondering if I need to resit it in S6

I'm interested in applying for an English/Film Studies/Creative Writing related course or something similar, something not related to math or science. I'm reading through both uni websites and booklets as the booklets have some more details about minimum requirements that the websites don't. I can't remember if it was Strathclyde, St Andrews or Aberdeen but one of the courses was listed as a C Nat5 maths or above, not sure if it is reccomended or needed. Is this the case with other Scottish Unis such as Dundee? Is a D in Nat5 maths damaging my chances at applying? Should I resit Nat5 maths in S6?
Hi DawnWings I think it could be a good idea to resit your Nat 5 Maths if you can. We will check to see that you have your Nat 5 Maths at a B/C normally and it could impact your chances of being made an offer if you don't have it, as for us it is a required subject. I can only speak for Strathclyde though and different universities may have differing requirements so it's a good idea to reach out to admissions teams if you can't find the info you're looking for on the web!

- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.36%

Watched Threads