Does repeating the first year of Medical School have any negative repercussions?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Zhong Xina
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, I was just wondering whether repeating the first year of medical school has any negative repercussions during medical school or post graduation (e.g. any affects on applying to foundation programmes etc.), other than the obvious of graduating a year later than you should have?
Last edited by Zhong Xina; 5 months ago
Butene
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
You should really try your hardest to avoid doing a retake of any year in med school.
Last edited by Butene; 5 months ago
Zhong Xina
Rep:
(Original post by Butene)
You should really try your hardest to avoid doing a retake of any year in med school.
Yes, but I’m asking hypothetically
Butene
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Zhong Xina)
Yes, but I’m asking hypothetically
I don't know about how it'll affect you post graduation but a lot of med school don't give you the option to retake the year, and even if a med school like mine does give you the option to retake the year they will also kick you out if you fail any part of the year without giving you the chance to do a resit.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi, I was just wondering whether repeating the first year of medical school has any negative repercussions (e.g. any affects on applying to foundation programmes etc.), other than the obvious of graduating a year later than you should have?
No, but you may rank lower compared to other people in your year. So your EPM score would be affected.

Why do you want to know? Are you in med school?
Zhong Xina
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
No, but you may rank lower compared to other people in your year. So your EPM score would be affected.

Why do you want to know? Are you in med school?
Yes I’m in Medical School, I was just asking hypothetically. So having a lower EPM score would be the only negative repercussion, right? Is EPM important?
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Repeating med school isn't a very bing chilling thing to do.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Yes I’m in Medical School, I was just asking hypothetically. So having a lower EPM score would be the only negative repercussion, right? Is EPM important?
It is one part of what determines where and what jobs you'll have for your Foundation Programme.
Chwirkytheappleboy
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
It would also depend on what year you’re in and whether or not that year actually counts towards your EPM
Zhong Xina
Rep:
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Repeating med school isn't a very bing chilling thing to do.
+2000 social credits
Zhong Xina
Rep:
(Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
It would also depend on what year or not that year actually counts towards your EPM
I'm in year 1 and it does count towards EPM in my Medical School
nellie6712
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
don't know why people are saying you don't want to repeat the year like... obviously you don't want to repeat the year? don't think it's bad to ask a question even if they aren't actually repeating themselves?

honestly though depends on the med school, at mine if you resit the year you get capped at a D which then corresponds to a certain amount of points for EPM. but realistically if you passed the first time round with a D or if you failed then resat just to be capped at a D there isn't any more of a disadvantage to the resit student since you both have the same grade.
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Obviously you should do your best to avoid resitting any exams or repeating years at medical school. But if you find yourself in a position where you do have to repeat then I think losing some points in your EPM should be the least of your worries. Focus on getting through the rest of medical school as smoothly as possible and making it to graduation. Arguably the work gets harder as you progress in the course and medical school is difficult for all sorts of different reasons no matter how many people try and convince you that it's plain sailing. Not everyone breezes through as easily as most people do. All I suggest is that you work hard for your exams, do your best in everything and you will be fine. Scraping a pass and moving on to the next year is definitely much better than having to stay behind and repeat the whole year because of one exam or assignment, which is what most medical schools will make you do if you don't pass at the first opportunity. If unfortunately you don't pass something, come back again and then we will talk you through it. Good Luck and I wish you the best for your exams.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
17.02%
The paper was reasonable (33)
35.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (33)
35.11%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
12.77%

Watched Threads