How do you Revise History for A-level

Watch
JW05
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I just went into year 12 and the I’m beginning to struggle a lot with the AQA history course already. My main issue is with exam technique as it takes me ages to get a solid plan together. Is there anyway to revise both the facts and exam technique that you would recommend?

Xiphos
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JW05)
I just went into year 12 and the I’m beginning to struggle a lot with the AQA history course already. My main issue is with exam technique as it takes me ages to get a solid plan together. Is there anyway to revise both the facts and exam technique that you would recommend?
I did ancient history and we were, somewhat briefly, taught exam techniques prior to assessments and the rest of our time was all facts. For exam technique, our structure was point, evidence, explanation, analysis. That would be for one paragraph and you would repeat this structure for each of your points. The introduction comprised of an analysis of question language and making sure to outline your stance immediately.

This structure was decent but could only get you so far. As for facts, we seemed to mostly focus on dates and events but they didn't seem to know how to get us to remember it all. The way I did it was to group events and specific dates in my mind if they were relevant to each other. This has been an admittedly poor explanation so I will point you to this channel for better advice than I can offer: https://www.youtube.com/c/JustinSung
JW05
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Xiphos)
I did ancient history and we were, somewhat briefly, taught exam techniques prior to assessments and the rest of our time was all facts. For exam technique, our structure was point, evidence, explanation, analysis. That would be for one paragraph and you would repeat this structure for each of your points. The introduction comprised of an analysis of question language and making sure to outline your stance immediately.

This structure was decent but could only get you so far. As for facts, we seemed to mostly focus on dates and events but they didn't seem to know how to get us to remember it all. The way I did it was to group events and specific dates in my mind if they were relevant to each other. This has been an admittedly poor explanation so I will point you to this channel for better advice than I can offer: https://www.youtube.com/c/JustinSung
No a great explanation. I really appreciate that, does that planning of the essay or question must come down to practice ?
Xiphos
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JW05)
No a great explanation. I really appreciate that, does that planning of the essay or question must come down to practice ?
Predominantly yes but, if the question is relating to a topic with which you are comfortable then you will find it much easier to plan for. We were often set question plans as homework if I recall correctly. Best of luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (36)
21.95%
Note taking apps (5)
3.05%
Flashcards (29)
17.68%
Revision guides (5)
3.05%
Past papers (83)
50.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (6)
3.66%

Watched Threads