The Student Room Group

Elective neurosurgery in UK

Hello all
I’m a fifth year medical student in jordan i wanted to do my elective in UK any time after may 2022
I don’t know where to start
I want to practice both general and neuro- surgery
Where should i apply for a both of those programs? And when?
And most importantly HOW?
Please give me as much details as possible
Reply 1
Idk it doesn’t matter i want the best hospital
I don’t mind any where as long as it’s in UK and the best option

As for the visa it’s not a problem i can manage
Do you know any hospital that suits me for both general and neuro?
Reply 2
I don’t mind any where as long ad it’s one of the best
The visa won’t be a problem for me i can manage it
But do you know any hospital where i can apply for both programs?
Reply 3
Oh okay thank you so much
I’ll read more about those hospitals
Reply 4
Neurosurgery will be your limiting factor here - pretty much every hospital in the country will have some kind of general surgical department, but only a few hospitals do neurosurgery. Oxford (John Radcliffe) and Cambridge (Addenbrooke's) both do, but are understandably popular with elective students. A bit of research should show you which UK hospitals have big neurosurgery departments and you can take it from there.
The hospital with the biggest reputation for Neurosurgery is Queen’s Square (National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery) however you won’t get General Surgery there.

South London has some big hospitals with all specialties on one site: King’s College Hospital and St George’s Hospital. Then there’s the Royal London in East London and St Mary’s in North West London. These are the four Major Trauma Centres in London, hence they have to have both General and Neurosurgery on-site.

Departments tend to be completely separate though, so I’m not sure you will actually be able to get a single placement covering both specialties. It might be worth seeing if you can split your elective to spend a few weeks in each department

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending