The Student Room Group

University Choices- Can you help me with the trickness behind it?

Hi,

I am willing to study electronic engineering and I will apply mostly for foundation year as I am studying a BTEC. I am confident to get at least a D*D*D(*).
My choices:
University of Manchester(Foundation year H112)
Newcastle University(Foundation year H101)
University of Portsmouth(Electronic Eng. H610)
University of Southampton(Foundation year H604)
Swansea University ( Foundation year H605)
Do you believe my choices are realistic? Do you have any suggestions? Please, if you feel you can contribute to my decision, do not hesitate to reply.

Thank you all!!
Original post by Snive
Hi,

I am willing to study electronic engineering and I will apply mostly for foundation year as I am studying a BTEC. I am confident to get at least a D*D*D(*).
My choices:
University of Manchester(Foundation year H112)
Newcastle University(Foundation year H101)
University of Portsmouth(Electronic Eng. H610)
University of Southampton(Foundation year H604)
Swansea University ( Foundation year H605)
Do you believe my choices are realistic? Do you have any suggestions? Please, if you feel you can contribute to my decision, do not hesitate to reply.

Thank you all!!

On those grades you normally dont need a foundation year. Most universities accept BTECs. It will depend on the subject of the BTEC and the level of Maths you have studies. Swansea and Mancester are massively different. Manchester is a massive city and Swansea a smaller one. MancheBay cAMster university is in the city centre. The new Bay Campus in Swansea is over 2 miles out of the City Centre.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
On those grades you normally dont need a foundation year. Most universities accept BTECs. It will depend on the subject of the BTEC and the level of Maths you have studies. Swansea and Mancester are massively different. Manchester is a massive city and Swansea a smaller one. MancheBay cAMster university is in the city centre. The new Bay Campus in Swansea is over 2 miles out of the City Centre.

Yeah, I am not doing A-levels Maths, thus, it is a must if I want to go to the top ones. I actually do not mind living in the countryside or whatsoever. Thank you for telling me that, I just do not understand the strategy behind the choices. Like, what if I fail to get what I believe I can get? Which choices should I make if that happens? Thanks for contributing!
Reply 3
any reason you can’t study a level maths rather than dash into a foundation course?
Original post by Snive
Yeah, I am not doing A-levels Maths, thus, it is a must if I want to go to the top ones. I actually do not mind living in the countryside or whatsoever. Thank you for telling me that, I just do not understand the strategy behind the choices. Like, what if I fail to get what I believe I can get? Which choices should I make if that happens? Thanks for contributing!

Basically what happens is you decide on a firm and insurance choice from any offers you are made. Your firm university is the first to consider you. If you meet ALL the requirements you automatically go to that university. If you miss any of the requirements then your firm university decides whether to accept you. If they do you go there. If you dont ucas asks your university to do the same. If neither accept you then you go inter clearing. This is normally done before you get your results so that on results day it will either show you are in your firm or insurance university or have been place in clearing. If placed in clearing you rig around universities to find one who accepts you. That is basically the system.

As far as foundation courses are concerned they are very costly as they cost a whole years fees and living costs. They also use up your bonus years funding. If you change your mind during the first year of degree you would need to self fund your study elsewhere.

The problem with Engineering is that it is very Mathematical at top universities so often A level Maths is required. Some universities forego that dependent on the subject of your BTEC. It appears Portsmouth foregoes A level Maths and Swansea will as well if you have studied appropriate BTEC that includes certain Maths Modules see below

Students studying for BTEC qualifications in relevant subjects require D*D*D* - D*D*D, to include B at A Level Mathematics. If they are not taking A Level Mathematics, they must achieve a minimum D in ‘Mathematics for Technicians’ and D in ‘Further Mathematics for Technicians’ modules of the BTEC. Students are also required to have minimum two A grades at GCSE, to include a minimum grade B in Mathematics and two other Science subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest