1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey all!

Im planning on starting online tutoring, but im just wondering, how much should I charge? I've seen people charge from £4 to £30 a session.
Whilst I dont have a TEFL qualification, I do have a PGCE with QTS.
EIL3EN
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Will you be teaching the subject your PGCE is in or EAL? If you're going it alone the other websites and tutor services should list the qualifications and experience their teachers have and you can use that to help you narrow down your pricing. Also, look at the demographics of the students you'll be tutoring - don't charge what they can't afford.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
(Original post by EIL3EN)
Will you be teaching the subject your PGCE is in or EAL? If you're going it alone the other websites and tutor services should list the qualifications and experience their teachers have and you can use that to help you narrow down your pricing. Also, look at the demographics of the students you'll be tutoring - don't charge what they can't afford.
Im a primary teacher so i was thinking of teaching EAL.
I did have a look at what the other tutors are charging, but there was such a variation of prices.
EIL3EN
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Im a primary teacher so i was thinking of teaching EAL.
I did have a look at what the other tutors are charging, but there was such a variation of prices.
Primary and EAL aren't the same thing. Do you have experience teaching EAL?

The variation in prices will be due to factors like having an applicable and appropriate qualification, years of experience, length of lesson etc... Do those tutors state this information?
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
(Original post by EIL3EN)
Primary and EAL aren't the same thing. Do you have experience teaching EAL?

The variation in prices will be due to factors like having an applicable and appropriate qualification, years of experience, length of lesson etc... Do those tutors state this information?
It's an international tutoring website so a lot of the students would have EAL, and yes i do have experience.
Last edited by 1secondsofvamps; 1 month ago
EIL3EN
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's an international tutoring website so a lot of the students would have EAL.
If it's an international tutoring website do they have recommended pricing? They may be better placed to answer your questions.

I'm confused, are you intending to teach them a subject or to teach them EAL?
booklover1313
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
It's an international tutoring website so a lot of the students would have EAL, and yes i do have experience.
In London an experienced tutor can easily charge £60 per hour for things like 7+ or 11+ exam prep.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads