The Student Room Group

friends with sister - waste of time or worth it?

i have a couple younger sisters who vary from 13 to 21. i genuinely love minding my own business and going about my day. but after talking to an older friend, he was telling me that its very important to invest time in building a relationship with my sisters (ie ask about their day, let them vent etc). why? because if they don't do it to me, they will find another guy to. and ideal goal is for them not to find another guy just yet.

long story short - do all girls wanna vent/be listened to by someone? and if im not that one, do you think the first guy who does listen to them, they will be attached to them? should i go out of my way to be that person so they dont need another guy?
It's good to spend quality time with your siblings in general, but the way your friend puts it is weird.
Reply 2
Original post by hungrysalamander
It's good to spend quality time with your siblings in general, but the way your friend puts it is weird.

how so?
Original post by Anonymous
how so?

Siblings will never replace love interests so it's weird to put it that way and it's none of your business regarding whether they find another guy or not (especially when she's 21). What does he think girls with no brothers do?
Reply 4
Original post by hungrysalamander
Siblings will never replace love interests so it's weird to put it that way and it's none of your business regarding whether they find another guy or not (especially when she's 21). What does he think girls with no brothers do?

hes sort of right tho. in my experience, girls with no brothers tend to be the most sluttiest/get off with the first guy that gives them attention.

i don't think he's insinuating love interests. i think hes saying it more from the point that if you, as an older brother are a shoulder for your sister to cry on/listen to her problems and provide solutions/compliment her etc, then she will be stronger in not taking the first guy that bats their eyes at her.
Reply 5
hes sort of right tho. in my experience, girls with no brothers tend to be the most sluttiest/get off with the first guy that gives them attention.

i don't think he's insinuating love interests. i think hes saying it more from the point that if you, as an older brother are a shoulder for your sister to cry on/listen to her problems and provide solutions/compliment her etc, then she will be stronger in not taking the first guy that bats their eyes at her.

'In your experience'? So exactly how many girls have you polled to find out the number of brothers they have and how many people they've slept with? What about a correlation between guys who sleep around and the number of sisters?
Reply 6
If you're an older brother it's good to be a role model for your siblings.

At first I thought your friends were the problem but after reading this post I realise you’re actually the issue.
You don't think very highly of your sisters (or women in general...), do you?
Reply 9
uhh...you realise that having a friendship with your sisters is good for you as well so what do you mean it could be a waste of time. this is the only reason you have to ask them how their day was :cookie:

what do you mean the ideal goal is for them to not find another guy just get? lol one of your sisters is 21

i'm afraid a relationship between a sister and a brother does not replace a girl's interest in boys. like, they like boys for different reasons that do not include 'a shoulder to cry on' ffs. you could be a role model tho and demonstrate to your sisters how men should respect women and are not only interested in sex. if you're saying a relationship with your sisters could be a waste of time what it sounds like tho tbh is you aren't interest in women except for one reason.

The hell? I bet you’re from a religious/conservative household, only this kind of thinking counts as logic there.

It’s a load of crap sorry. People who experience neglect yes tend to have lower self confidence and relationship issues but it’s nothing to do with brothers and love inteeests. You should do it because you care about your sisters not because you are possessive of them and tricking them into hiding their time without ‘another male’.

Women’s needs are nothing to do with counting how many ***** are around. You cannot di more than be a brother, and your sisters need love and affection and sexual relationships from other men when they grow up. Deal with it
So in response to your thread title - If it’s a waste of time because they might still want a boyfriend anyway then YES don’t waste your time lying to your sisters and pretending you care about their issues.

If there is a connection to future bfs then you’re just teaching them to confuse care with possessiveness and manipulation. They might be more unsure of what a person/friend/bf who really cares about them look like.

Do them the favour and go back to not thinking about listening to them I hope they find decent friends and bf’s tho
Yeah, this is a messed up question.

I have a brother and he's 5 years older. We live in different countries with huge time differences. We barely talk, although we communicate when the need arises (e.g. big family visits, holidays, etc) - so less than 10 times a year. And you know what, I don't mind it. It works for us and we both prefer it this way. If anything, HE'S the one who cries on me whenever he comes up with issues!

(Just for the record...haven't had a romantic interest in many years. That sort of stuff has nothing to do with whether my elder brother 'invests' in me or not.)
Reply 13
**** me this thread is a cesspit
Your goal is to be a good brother, not curtail your sisters from being attracted to others guys, the OP has his priorities in the wrong place clearly.

Quick Reply

Latest