Which university should i pick?

Watch this thread
ananya01r
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I am a prospective postgraduate student in Biosciences (more towards medical and pharma microbiology). Currently, I have offers from the University of Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Exeter, Queen Mary University of London and even UCD in Ireland.
I am from India and I am so very confused about which university I should pick? My major deciding factors would definitely be job opportunities and lower living costs because the curriculum is more or less the same everywhere.
Please help
normaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
In terms of cost of living, have a look at Nat West's Student Living Index 2021:

https://www.natwest.com/life-moments...ing-index.html

However, it only includes 20+ unis in the survey so not all your choices are covered. If you search for student lets in the cities you have applied to, you will get a good idea of accommodation costs.

Also, think about the type of environment you will be happy living in terms of facilities, transport, access to airports, etc. Exeter will be very different to London.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
All are top unis. Given you are from India you need to consider your culture. There is not a huge Indian community in Aberdeen but a large community in London. Thus, going to Queen Mary in London would be a safer bet from a cultural viewpoint. It is based in East London, near to Brick Lane with hundreds of Bangladeshi restaurants and shops where you can buy Indian spices and Food that you simply will not find in Aberdeen.

However, the cost of living in London is horrid - £800 a month rent versus half that in Manchester, Leeds or Glasgow.

Thus, Manchester or Leeds are your best bet - both have an Indian community and cost of living in either city is reasonable.
ananya01r
Rep:
(Original post by mike23mike)
All are top unis. Given you are from India you need to consider your culture. There is not a huge Indian community in Aberdeen but a large community in London. Thus, going to Queen Mary in London would be a safer bet from a cultural viewpoint. It is based in East London, near to Brick Lane with hundreds of Bangladeshi restaurants and shops where you can buy Indian spices and Food that you simply will not find in Aberdeen.

However, the cost of living in London is horrid - £800 a month rent versus half that in Manchester, Leeds or Glasgow.

Thus, Manchester or Leeds are your best bet - both have an Indian community and cost of living in either city is reasonable.
Thank you so much! I shall look into this.
Do you know which city is better in terms of part time job availablity?
ananya01r
Rep:
(Original post by normaw)
In terms of cost of living, have a look at Nat West's Student Living Index 2021:

https://www.natwest.com/life-moments...ing-index.html

However, it only includes 20+ unis in the survey so not all your choices are covered. If you search for student lets in the cities you have applied to, you will get a good idea of accommodation costs.

Also, think about the type of environment you will be happy living in terms of facilities, transport, access to airports, etc. Exeter will be very different to London.
Thank you! I shall look into this
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ananya01r)
Thank you so much! I shall look into this.
Do you know which city is better in terms of part time job availablity?
Assuming covid rules relax, there are lots of pt jobs in Manchester, Glasgow and Leeds for students.
turbobaithead
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Aberdeen, Exeter, and Glasgow are great, but just like the cultural issues brought forward by the others I'd recommend going to QMUL or Manchester.
username5960917
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
"Cultural issues" might be the weirdest reason to deter someone from going to a certain university I have ever heard.
Last edited by username5960917; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ananya01r)
I am a prospective postgraduate student in Biosciences (more towards medical and pharma microbiology). Currently, I have offers from the University of Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Exeter, Queen Mary University of London and even UCD in Ireland.
I am from India and I am so very confused about which university I should pick? My major deciding factors would definitely be job opportunities and lower living costs because the curriculum is more or less the same everywhere.
Please help
Firstly forget Queen Mary. London is extremely expensive. Exeter tends to be fairly expensive for accommodation although nothing like London. I dont know too much about the Scottish 2 bt suspect they will be reasonable. Manchester and Leeds are both up North which tends to be slightly less expensive. I doubt going to any of these will have a major impact on your job prospacts.
turbobaithead
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by wiseowlz72)
"Cultural issues" might be the weirdest reason to deter someone from going to a certain university I have ever heard.
I was mirroring what the other dude above me said in passing. Regardless, you're right. It is pretty weird but also relatively worth bringing up. My older sister had to transfer out of St. Andrew's med course because she just didn't fit in in that sense. Might have to do with class as well but that usually goes without saying for immigrants.
username5960917
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by turbobaithead)
I was mirroring what the other dude above me said in passing. Regardless, you're right. It is pretty weird but also relatively worth bringing up. My older sister had to transfer out of St. Andrew's med course because she just didn't fit in in that sense. Might have to do with class as well but that usually goes without saying for immigrants.
I dont think anyone should ever be made to feel "other" at a top institution. They're there to get a quality education, nothing else. I think self-segregation is incredibly self defeating. I'm very sorry your sister experienced that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise