The Student Room Group

Finance or Economics for Sales and Trading

Hey,

Ik a lot of people say that the degree you don't do doesn't matter (relative to the uni you attend) for IB M&A, but for sales and trading do you think doing an econ degree over a finance degree would be more beneficial?

Scroll to see replies

Again, does not matter much in my opinion. I know people who has summers at BBs for S&T who do my course (Maths and Econ) and who do Finance at my uni.

Just work on getting into a target uni and learn as much about S&T as you can.
Reply 2
Original post by __.shaxz
Again, does not matter much in my opinion. I know people who has summers at BBs for S&T who do my course (Maths and Econ) and who do Finance at my uni.

Just work on getting into a target uni and learn as much about S&T as you can.

Great! I am planning on either Bristol or Durham.

What uni do you go to?
Original post by Jinang

What uni do you go to?

Both good unis.
I got to LSE
Reply 4
Original post by Jinang

What uni do you go to?

Hey, I am a fellow Durham Finance applicant! I applied for South college wbu?
Reply 5
Original post by dah22
Hey, I am a fellow Durham Finance applicant! I applied for South college wbu?

Hi!
I applied for Hatfield, have u gott a reply yet?
Reply 6
Original post by Jinang
Hi!
I applied for Hatfield, have u gott a reply yet?

Unfortunately not mate I’ve only gotten an email saying my application is being processed yesterday! Hopefully we both get in :smile: what are your predicted abs subjects if you don’t mind me asking. I’m A*A*A in Maths Chem bio
Reply 7
Original post by dah22
Unfortunately not mate I’ve only gotten an email saying my application is being processed yesterday! Hopefully we both get in :smile: what are your predicted abs subjects if you don’t mind me asking. I’m A*A*A in Maths Chem bio

Ah same.. I've got A*A*A in Econ, Maths, History + A* in EPQ.

Fingers crossed we both do get in!
Which other unis have you applied to?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Jinang
Ah same.. I've got A*A*A in Econ, Maths, History + A* in EPQ.

Fingers crossed we both do get in!
Which other unis have you applied to?

I have applied to LSE UCL Durham Manchester and QMUL although Ill most likely get rejected from both LSE and UCL I thought I might aswell apply to both anyway. I regret not doing further alot, which others have you applied to?
Reply 9
Original post by dah22
I have applied to LSE UCL Durham Manchester and QMUL although Ill most likely get rejected from both LSE and UCL I thought I might aswell apply to both anyway. I regret not doing further alot, which others have you applied to?

I applied to LSE, Bristol, Notts, and Lboro - Regret not doing further maths as well :frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Jinang
I applied to LSE, Bristol, Notts, and Lboro - Regret not doing further maths as well :frown:

I wish I applied to Bristol although my dad was extremely against it when I told him its a shame but oh well
Original post by Jinang
Hey,

Ik a lot of people say that the degree you don't do doesn't matter (relative to the uni you attend) for IB M&A, but for sales and trading do you think doing an econ degree over a finance degree would be more beneficial?

Actually STEM would be better than either of those. If it's just between these two then I'd pick Econ because it's often considered closer to STEM than finance.
Reply 12
Original post by anonuser99
Actually STEM would be better than either of those. If it's just between these two then I'd pick Econ because it's often considered closer to STEM than finance.

is there any reason in particular STEM is better? I know Maths is very good for trading and the likes but why STEM in particular?
Original post by dah22
is there any reason in particular STEM is better? I know Maths is very good for trading and the likes but why STEM in particular?

Feel like you answered your own question, the mathematical/analytical nature of many STEM degrees lends well to s&t (I’m assuming). In this sense, mathematically inclined economics degrees such as and semi target/targets’ courses would probs be a good shout too.
Reply 14
Original post by leviticus.
Feel like you answered your own question, the mathematical/analytical nature of many STEM degrees lends well to s&t (I’m assuming). In this sense, mathematically inclined economics degrees such as and semi target/targets’ courses would probs be a good shout too.

I’ve seen from the courses a lot of Finance and Econ+fin courses are still relatively quantitative so I’m assuming they won’t hinder your chances too much?
Original post by dah22
I’ve seen from the courses a lot of Finance and Econ+fin courses are still relatively quantitative so I’m assuming they won’t hinder your chances too much?

It’s more to do with how your degree is perceived than anything else but honestly I’m not too sure.
Original post by dah22

Basically what Leviticus said. The more interesting parts of S&T are becoming more and more quantitative. STEM courses also tend to incorporate coding these days which is more and more used in S&T.

Original post by dah22

Econ is barely quantitative. Really only econometrics is quant-y and that's pretty much just algebra with statistical concepts thrown in.

As I said, STEM is preferred these days. People still get in on Econ though, but your option set is greater with STEM.
Reply 17
Econ is barely quantitative. Really only econometrics is quant-y and that's pretty much just algebra with statistical concepts thrown in.

As I said, STEM is preferred these days. People still get in on Econ though, but your option set is greater with STEM.

Interesting. Would say a masters in econometrics help then?
Original post by dah22
Interesting. Would say a masters in econometrics help then?

I never advocate pre planning a masters unless you absolutely have to, and I would never advocate doing a masters in pure economics unless you want to be an economist so no afaik the best masters to do (apart from one that actually is STEM) would be Oxford MFE.
Reply 19
I never advocate pre planning a masters unless you absolutely have to, and I would never advocate doing a masters in pure economics unless you want to be an economist so no afaik the best masters to do (apart from one that actually is STEM) would be Oxford MFE.

Interesting. I am considering taking a gap year and doing a chemical engineering degree next year as that’s what my other A* is in. If I get rejected this year from all my institutions that is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending